Fast MTB... Trek 6700 question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Leigh, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Leigh

    Leigh Guest

    Hi all!

    I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    the road). I want the option to go offroad and I am on a restricted
    budget.

    I bought a 2002 Trek 6700 in good condition for £200, it's got a good
    light aluminium frame apparently off the previous high-end Treks. It
    weighs 26.7lbs due to a lot of entry-level Deore and Bontrager bits.

    Q1: Obviously I need road tyres, but should I shave off some weight
    with a pair of good value light road wheels? Any ideas which,
    sub-£100?

    Q2: What's the best component to upgrade to shave weight cheaply? New
    seat and post? New chainrings/crank?

    Q3. Are the Rockshox Dukes OK or is there a lighter/more rigid budget
    alternative I could swap for?

    I feel the need for speed.
    Thanks for any input

    Cheers, Leigh

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Leigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    > the road). I want the option to go offroad and I am on a restricted
    > budget.

    Get a cyclo-cross bike. It gives you the flexibility of going on the trails
    and the road. Do a search, there are plenty out there.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  3. "Leigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    > the road). I want the option to go offroad and I am on a restricted
    > budget.
    >
    > I bought a 2002 Trek 6700 in good condition for £200, it's got a good
    > light aluminium frame apparently off the previous high-end Treks. It
    > weighs 26.7lbs due to a lot of entry-level Deore and Bontrager bits.

    Did you actually weigh it? Thats quite light for a budget hardtail MTB.

    > Q1: Obviously I need road tyres, but should I shave off some weight
    > with a pair of good value light road wheels? Any ideas which,
    > sub-£100?

    What do you mean by road wheels? lightwieght 26" wheels or are you truing to
    shoehorn 700cc road bike wheels onto an MTB?

    > Q2: What's the best component to upgrade to shave weight cheaply? New
    > seat and post? New chainrings/crank?

    Yep as above plus bottom bracket and possibly bars/stem. If you're riding
    mainly on the road you may want to switch to a flatter narrower bar. However
    you will quickly end up spending a lot more than you paid for the complete
    bike, is saving weight that important?
    Also if you're hoping to keep up with your buddy on his road bike then you
    will probably run out of gears pretty quickly so if you do swap the cranks
    you might want to look for a standard rather than compact drive chainset
    replacement.

    > Q3. Are the Rockshox Dukes OK or is there a lighter/more rigid budget
    > alternative I could swap for?

    For riding on the road switch to a rigid, go visit your local bike shop and
    see if they have any stockpiles of forks taken off bikes they will let you
    have for cheap. Or go pimpy and buy a pair of these

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Forks+Rigid&ModelID=2317
    or these
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/default.asp?cat=cycling

    > I feel the need for speed.
    > Thanks for any input
    >
    > Cheers, Leigh

    Steve.

    Psst Try 'uk.rec.cycling' for more help...

  4. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    "Leigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    > the road). I want the option to go offroad and I am on a restricted
    > budget.
    >
    > I bought a 2002 Trek 6700 in good condition for £200, it's got a good
    > light aluminium frame apparently off the previous high-end Treks. It
    > weighs 26.7lbs due to a lot of entry-level Deore and Bontrager bits.
    >
    > Q1: Obviously I need road tyres, but should I shave off some weight
    > with a pair of good value light road wheels? Any ideas which,
    > sub-£100?

    Just try some slicks first. Tyres will make 10 times as much difference as
    new wheels.

    > Q2: What's the best component to upgrade to shave weight cheaply? New
    > seat and post? New chainrings/crank?

    Unless you're a sprinter / hill climber / featherweight shaving weight isn't
    going to make you go any faster.
    Going for better performing parts will help a lot more than light parts.

    > Q3. Are the Rockshox Dukes OK or is there a lighter/more rigid budget
    > alternative I could swap for?

    As someone else suggested going to a rigid fork would be your best bet if
    you want to keep up with roadies.

  5. >
    >Hi all!
    >
    >I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    >the road). I want the option to go offroad and I am on a restricted
    >budget.
    >
    >I bought a 2002 Trek 6700 in good condition for £200, it's got a good
    >light aluminium frame apparently off the previous high-end Treks. It
    >weighs 26.7lbs due to a lot of entry-level Deore and Bontrager bits.
    >
    >Q1: Obviously I need road tyres, but should I shave off some weight
    >with a pair of good value light road wheels? Any ideas which,
    >sub-£100?
    >
    >Q2: What's the best component to upgrade to shave weight cheaply? New
    >seat and post? New chainrings/crank?
    >
    >Q3. Are the Rockshox Dukes OK or is there a lighter/more rigid budget
    >alternative I could swap for?
    >
    >I feel the need for speed.
    >Thanks for any input
    >
    >Cheers, Leigh

    As others have suggested, start with skinny slicks, then consider a rigid fork.

    You might also want to think about a bigger big ring. You'll spin out a 42-11
    pretty fast, especially with the smaller diameter of 1 inch slicks on a 26 inch
    wheel.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  6. Leigh says:

    >I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    >the road).

    No such thing as a fast MTB - there ARE fast riders, though... ;-)

    Steve "it's the motor, not the wheels"

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On 27 Sep 2004 21:05:31 GMT, Stephen Baker <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Leigh says:
    >
    >> I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    >> the road).

    > No such thing as a fast MTB - there ARE fast riders, though... ;-)
    >
    > Steve "it's the motor, not the wheels"

    I should sit you down on my DHR pointed DH, and you'll quickly realize,
    reelz matter 2 ;-)

    --
    Slacker

  8. Slacker says:

    >I should sit you down on my DHR pointed DH, and you'll quickly realize, =
    > =
    >
    >reelz matter 2 ;-)

    Heh heh! ;-)

    Steve

  9. "Leigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    > the road). I want the option to go offroad and I am on a restricted
    > budget.
    >
    > I bought a 2002 Trek 6700 in good condition for £200, it's got a good
    > light aluminium frame apparently off the previous high-end Treks. It
    > weighs 26.7lbs due to a lot of entry-level Deore and Bontrager bits.
    >
    > Q1: Obviously I need road tyres, but should I shave off some weight
    > with a pair of good value light road wheels? Any ideas which,
    > sub-£100?
    >
    > Q2: What's the best component to upgrade to shave weight cheaply? New
    > seat and post? New chainrings/crank?
    >
    > Q3. Are the Rockshox Dukes OK or is there a lighter/more rigid budget
    > alternative I could swap for?
    >
    > I feel the need for speed.
    > Thanks for any input
    >
    > Cheers, Leigh

    Why not just swap bikes and let him pass you on your MTB!

    That should save you >100 squiggles
    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
    The rest I've just wasted.

  10. A set of Conti Town & Country tires or tyres. And
    any large chainring bigger then 44 teeth. And its the rider also that
    helps. Just last week I never got up and off the seat and caught up
    with a roadie on a long hill and then it was along down hill section and
    I went into hyper space. That was on my Proflex 856,semi slicks, Sram
    derailleurs,Sram V brakes,Smart Shock, Sram Grip Shifters,Alex
    rims,Shimano hubs, Shimano crank & rings,Nashbar saddle,Cateye
    computer,Haro flat bars,Shimano BB,Campy road cassette,Sram chain,and I
    can't forget my life saving side mirror.

    I MTB 2004

  11. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > A set of Conti Town & Country tires or tyres. And
    > any large chainring bigger then 44 teeth. And its the rider also that
    > helps. Just last week I never got up and off the seat and caught up
    > with a roadie on a long hill and then it was along down hill section and
    > I went into hyper space. That was on my Proflex 856,semi slicks, Sram
    > derailleurs,Sram V brakes,Smart Shock, Sram Grip Shifters,Alex
    > rims,Shimano hubs, Shimano crank & rings,Nashbar saddle,Cateye
    > computer,Haro flat bars,Shimano BB,Campy road cassette,Sram chain,and I
    > can't forget my life saving side mirror.
    >
    > I MTB 2004

    That reads like a forsale ad. You trying to tell us something, Crazy?

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  12. SuperSlinky

    SuperSlinky Guest

    Leigh said...

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I was looking for a fast MTB to keep up with my friend's road bike (on
    > the road). I want the option to go offroad and I am on a restricted
    > budget.
    >
    > I bought a 2002 Trek 6700 in good condition for £200, it's got a good
    > light aluminium frame apparently off the previous high-end Treks. It
    > weighs 26.7lbs due to a lot of entry-level Deore and Bontrager bits.
    >
    > Q1: Obviously I need road tyres, but should I shave off some weight
    > with a pair of good value light road wheels? Any ideas which,
    > sub-£100?
    >
    > Q2: What's the best component to upgrade to shave weight cheaply? New
    > seat and post? New chainrings/crank?
    >
    > Q3. Are the Rockshox Dukes OK or is there a lighter/more rigid budget
    > alternative I could swap for?
    >
    > I feel the need for speed.
    > Thanks for any input
    >
    > Cheers, Leigh

    You probably won't be able to keep up unless he is in poor condition
    and/or has a cheap bike. Slicks will get you close, but he will probably
    still be able to lose you if he tries. What will you do for brakes with
    road wheels? As for weight, all hope abandon. You can't save much weight
    without spending the equivalent of a new bike, and it won't help you
    much even if you saved five pounds. The best place to save weight is
    with tires and tubes. I believe Hutchinson makes some light 1" slicks.

  13. Leigh

    Leigh Guest

    Thanks very much for all the replies.

    I guess I mean lightweight mtb wheels not road bike wheels - just
    something that's light - maybe weight's not so important though
    reading some of the posts..

    26.7 is the Trek's quoted weight on the website - pretty good if it's
    true

    I'll try out some of the suggestions

  14. Pizza Man

    Pizza Man Guest

    [email protected] (Leigh) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks very much for all the replies.
    >
    > I guess I mean lightweight mtb wheels not road bike wheels - just
    > something that's light - maybe weight's not so important though
    > reading some of the posts..
    >
    > 26.7 is the Trek's quoted weight on the website - pretty good if it's
    > true
    >
    > I'll try out some of the suggestions

    Where did you find the bicycle weights listed?

    I am at their website and can't find any weights listed.

    I am amazed how many manufacturers of bicycles and accessories make it
    difficult to find the weight of the product.

    Thanks, Tracy

  15. bri719

    bri719 Guest

    Pizza Man wrote:

    >Where did you find the bicycle weights listed?
    >
    >I am at their website and can't find any weights listed.
    >
    >I am amazed how many manufacturers of bicycles and accessories make it
    >difficult to find the weight of the product.

    yeah, the bike manufacturers are bad enough, but even worse are the
    component makers or retailers who will list the weight for half the
    items but not the other half.

    I only know from experience that my 7000 is like 25.5 lbs (empty bottle
    cage, no computer, no lights). otherwise I'd probably have no idea.
    did the whole net weight thing back in the day, on a digital bathroom
    scale if I recall.

    bri

    --

    * enjoying the karma *