fast road tires for Bike E?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rick, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I am looking to put new tires to go faster on my bike e at. Can anyone recommend a fast 20" and 16"
    tires for it? How will these tires handle the occasional trip on crushed limestone? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Bentjay

    Bentjay Guest

    Kenda Kwests in the 100 psi versions are much faster than the stock Maxxis Hookworms on my RX and I
    don't get flats. I bought 'em at Atlantic in Ft. Lauderdale.

    BentJay

  3. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    [email protected] (Rick) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am looking to put new tires to go faster on my bike e at. Can anyone recommend a fast 20" and
    > 16" tires for it? How will these tires handle the occasional trip on crushed limestone? Thanks

    The primo comets [thin ones] will pep your bike E up[it did mine] I also like the thin 16 primo up
    front and a comp pool 20" on the rear.I also tried the maxxis hookworms and thought they were slow
    even though they are rated at a higher pressure than the primos .The hook worms are tough though and
    would IMO do better on the Lime stone paths.

  4. Dick T

    Dick T Guest

    I have a BikeE RX with the Maxxis Hookworms and, although they have proven to be "bullet proof",
    I've become very interested in seeing if I couldn't get more speed with faster, lighter tires. I
    emailed and called numerous recumbent shops to get opinions and found that the overwhelming majority
    recommend the following for what they think is the best combination of speed and durability (they
    all agree that the Primo Comets are the fastest, but are not durable and are more prone to flats):

    Tioga Comp Pool 20 x 1.75 for the rear Kenda Kwest 16 x 1.5 for the front

    Kenda Kwest front and rear would be a lesser alternative as well as Schwalbe City Jets.

    I've ordered the above tires from my favorite local bike shop and am anxious to try them out, but
    first I have to wait for the end of all the snow.

    Dick T

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking to put new tires to go faster on my bike e at. Can anyone recommend a fast 20" and
    > 16" tires for it? How will these tires handle the occasional trip on crushed limestone? Thanks

  5. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    Use Schwalbe Marathons. They are fast and good in all conditions.

    Derek

    In <[email protected]> Rick wrote:
    > I am looking to put new tires to go faster on my bike e at. Can anyone recommend a fast 20" and
    > 16" tires for it? How will these tires handle the occasional trip on crushed limestone? Thanks

  6. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I replaced the Chen Shens on both of my Bikees (AT,CT) with Primo Comets. They are -much- faster,
    and improve cornering, IMHO. They will also puncture much more easily, I must caution you! I've
    replaced 2 tubes in 6 months from pavement glass, and the tires are cut, but then I live in Palm
    Bay, FL, where the city doesn't sweep paved bike paths. Stick to roads you know but keep a spare
    tube and a pump on hand for cheap insurance. I doubt the limestone is much of a threat, but I've
    never ridden on
    it.I think the 20" can be had in a kevlar version, that may be worth a look. My LBS didn't carry it.

    Cheers,
    -Tim

    Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Use Schwalbe Marathons. They are fast and good in all conditions.
    >
    > Derek
    >
    > In <[email protected]> Rick wrote:
    > > I am looking to put new tires to go faster on my bike e at. Can anyone recommend a fast 20" and
    > > 16" tires for it? How will these tires handle the occasional trip on crushed limestone? Thanks

  7. Barryg

    Barryg Guest

    I like the thin Primo Comets I put on front & rear of my BikeE AT and no punctures after 1000 miles.

    Barry

    "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking to put new tires to go faster on my bike e at. Can anyone recommend a fast 20" and
    > 16" tires for it? How will these tires handle the occasional trip on crushed limestone? Thanks

  8. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I ride Continental Grand Prix tires exclusively (120PSI).

    They are considerably faster than Primo Comets (which I had previously), last longer and are more flat resistant. I added about 1 1/2 - 2 MPH to my sustainable cruising speed! The Conti's are also much lighter than the 100PSI Kendas (1/2 the weight) and are substantially faster.

    They are tremendous on the road, but are also very capable on all but the loosest gravel trails. I'm on crushed limestone and the looser granite trails, as well as pavement every single day.

    Unfortunately, they don't come in a 16" model, and only come in the (406mm) 20" size, as well as the standard 650c, (26"), and 700c sizes. You'd have to go with the Comets or the Kendas on the front. :(

    If you've never ridden on Conti tires, give them a try sometime. You might become a convert like me. :)
    R2