Fast Singletrack Video

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Part one of some video shot today with JAR at Allaire State
    Park in New Jersey.

    www.schnauzers.ws/allaire030704.mpg (32 MB)

    Low bandwidth version available at
    www.schnauzers.ws/allaire030704.wmv (8
    MB)

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    Tags:

  2. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    > Part one of some video shot today with JAR at Allaire
    > State Park in New Jersey.

    Your soundrack is an odd choice, but it works well. Did you
    ever get around to making a comparison between the lipstick
    and normal camera shot?

    My helmet cam mount is comming long nicly:

    http://www.hostultra.com/~kanotspell/helmet_cam/helmet_cam.-
    htm

    You'll have to excuse the rougness of it all, it's my first
    attempt at a webpage and carbon fiber work. I've pretty much
    finished it now so I'll be updating the page this week.

  3. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    kantspel wrote:
    >> Part one of some video shot today with JAR at Allaire
    >> State Park in New Jersey.
    >>
    > Your soundrack is an odd choice, but it works well. Did
    > you ever get around to making a comparison between the
    > lipstick and normal camera shot?
    >
    > My helmet cam mount is comming long nicly:
    >
    > http://www.hostultra.com/~kanotspell/helmet_cam/helmet-
    > _cam.htm
    >
    > You'll have to excuse the rougness of it all, it's my
    > first attempt at a webpage and carbon fiber work. I've
    > pretty much finished it now so I'll be updating the page
    > this week.

    I was in a rush to get part 1 posted for those who rode so
    I chose the music rather fast. I was tired and didn't feel
    like spending a day to mach the tune. It was rythmic, so
    that's why I chose it. The lyrics are awful, at least for
    an MTB video. I'm a product of early 80's british import
    music, although Susanne Vega is not an import, it's still
    of that variety.

    It's not a bike video comparison, but you can look at
    www.schnauzers.ws/sunset.mpg. This is with the miniDV camera
    (I use the same MiniDV as you, BTW) and not the bullet
    camera. I think the quality is much better with the
    exception of the constant focusing. I think Pete leaves his
    on manual focus at a fixed focal point because I never see
    the focus adjusting in his videos.

    I can't put four pounds on my head (2 for the cam and 2 for
    the balance weight). I have a hard enough time keeping my
    head straight as it is. I hardly even notice the bullet cam
    is there except when I see my shadow. I think it is like 5
    or 6 oz. I have a remote control so I can start and stop the
    recording. This is a very usefull and inexpesive tool ($30).
    No need to record aimlessly when you don't have to. I don't
    like taking my hands to far off the bars so this works well
    for me. The only complaint I have about the bullet cam is
    all the wires and the extra battery pack to drive the bullet
    cam. I have to get a Camelback Hawg just to carry it all.

  4. Ride-A-Lot says:

    >Low bandwidth version available at
    >www.schnauzers.ws/allaire030704.wmv (8
    >MB)

    THANK YOU!!

    Sorry for shouting, but......

    Steve "bandwidth challenged"

  5. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    > It's not a bike video comparison, but you can look at
    > www.schnauzers.ws/sunset.mpg. This is with the miniDV
    > camera (I use the same MiniDV as you, BTW) and not the
    > bullet camera. I think the quality is much better with the
    > exception of the constant focusing. I think Pete leaves
    > his on manual focus at a fixed focal point because I never
    > see the focus adjusting in his videos.

    I'm not sure how pete handles it but my plan is to leave it
    on manual focus. The autofocus on the canon is flaky in my
    opinion but I don't really have anything to compare it to.
    You should see how bad it gets when you throw a wide angle
    lens on there, it's virtually impossible to keep it in
    focus then.

    > I can't put four pounds on my head (2 for the cam and 2
    > for the balance weight). I have a hard enough time keeping
    > my head straight as it is.

    I'm starting to have reservations about that myself. I'm
    actually most worried about neck injuries, when I tried mine
    out it felt like I could really strain my neck with one bad
    jolt. Regardless of quality I may take the lipstick route
    just for safety. Another luxury that pete has is that most
    of his videos seem to be in fairly open places. The trails
    that I ride have a lot of trees and I'm worried about
    snagging the camera on one.

    We'll see I guess, it's going to be a while before the
    trails are ridable here but I'll be sure to post once I get
    some footage.

    > The only complaint I have about the bullet cam is all the
    > wires and the extra battery pack to drive the bullet cam.
    > I have to get a Camelback Hawg just to carry it all.

    It's probably still less weight than the camera + counter
    weight and at least it isn't on your head.

  6. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    kantspel wrote:

    >> I can't put four pounds on my head (2 for the cam and 2
    >> for the balance weight). I have a hard enough time
    >> keeping my head straight as it is.
    >

    > I'm starting to have reservations about that myself. I'm
    > actually most worried about neck injuries, when I tried
    > mine out it felt like I could really strain my neck with
    > one bad jolt. Regardless of quality I may take the
    > lipstick route just for safety. Another luxury that pete
    > has is that most of his videos seem to be in fairly open
    > places. The trails that I ride have a lot of trees and I'm
    > worried about snagging the camera on one.

    Bill Porter complaned about the weight when he first rigged
    up his helmet mount. In fact, he carries a spare helmet
    (without a camera) to wear when his neck needs some rest, or
    when video opportunities aren't very good. With time, he's
    gotten more used to the weight, and tolerates it better now.
    As far as neck injuries, I wouldn't think that's a real
    likelihood. Look at Pete's videos. He certainly doesn't have
    a neck like a linebacker's, and we've all seen that he
    sometimes crashes while wearing a simlar setup.

    miles

  7. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    miles todd wrote:

    > kantspel wrote:
    >

    >>> I can't put four pounds on my head (2 for the cam and 2
    >>> for the balance weight). I have a hard enough time
    >>> keeping my head straight as it is.
    >>

    >> I'm starting to have reservations about that myself. I'm
    >> actually most worried about neck injuries, when I tried
    >> mine out it felt like I could really strain my neck with
    >> one bad jolt. Regardless of quality I may take the
    >> lipstick route just for safety. Another luxury that pete
    >> has is that most of his videos seem to be in fairly open
    >> places. The trails that I ride have a lot of trees and
    >> I'm worried about snagging the camera on one.
    >>

    > Bill Porter complaned about the weight when he first
    > rigged up his helmet mount. In fact, he carries a spare
    > helmet (without a camera) to wear when his neck needs some
    > rest, or when video opportunities aren't very good. With
    > time, he's gotten more used to the weight, and tolerates
    > it better now. As far as neck injuries, I wouldn't think
    > that's a real likelihood. Look at Pete's videos. He
    > certainly doesn't have a neck like a linebacker's, and
    > we've all seen that he sometimes crashes while wearing a
    > simlar setup.
    >
    > miles

    True, it's probably just paranoia. But just the *thought*
    of snagging the camera on a limb gets my neck and wallet
    aching. Like I said, I'll give it a shot. So far I've
    invested $10 into my camera mount so if I don't care for it
    then all I've wasted is time (which I count as
    entertainment anyways).

  8. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    kantspel wrote:
    >> It's not a bike video comparison, but you can look at
    >> www.schnauzers.ws/sunset.mpg. This is with the miniDV
    >> camera (I use the same MiniDV as you, BTW) and not the
    >> bullet camera. I think the quality is much better with
    >> the exception of the constant focusing. I think Pete
    >> leaves his on manual focus at a fixed focal point because
    >> I never see the focus adjusting in his videos.
    >>
    > I'm not sure how pete handles it but my plan is to leave
    > it on manual focus. The autofocus on the canon is flaky in
    > my opinion but I don't really have anything to compare it
    > to. You should see how bad it gets when you throw a wide
    > angle lens on there, it's virtually impossible to keep it
    > in focus then.
    >
    >> I can't put four pounds on my head (2 for the cam and 2
    >> for the balance weight). I have a hard enough time
    >> keeping my head straight as it is.
    >
    > I'm starting to have reservations about that myself. I'm
    > actually most worried about neck injuries, when I tried
    > mine out it felt like I could really strain my neck with
    > one bad jolt. Regardless of quality I may take the
    > lipstick route just for safety. Another luxury that pete
    > has is that most of his videos seem to be in fairly open
    > places. The trails that I ride have a lot of trees and I'm
    > worried about snagging the camera on one.

    You can see that I ride typical east coast technical
    singletrack. Trees are an understatement. Once it gets warm,
    the hangmans noose vines will be everywhere. I've snagged
    the bullet cam on some low branches and damn near ripped my
    helmet off.