Fastest Bike Speed Trivia??

RalleighOke

Jan 29, 2003
Let's see how good your cycling knowledge is.. :D

a) What was the fastest speed achieved with a bicycle?
b) When was it achieved?
c) Who achieved it, where is he from and how old is he?

I will post the answer tommorrow, to see if our friends from "down under" maybe knows.

PS: I found this information from another "big" website.

Let the games....answers begin!!

Originally posted by RalleighOke
Let's see how good your cycling knowledge is.. :D

a) What was the fastest speed achieved with a bicycle?
b) When was it achieved?
c) Who achieved it, where is he from and how old is he?

I will post the answer tommorrow, to see if our friends from "down under" maybe knows.

PS: I found this information from another "big" website.

Let the games....answers begin!!

I recall reading about a guy in his 40's being towed to 100MPH and then he rode behinde a car of some sort?

I'll have to google it later :D

a 268.8km/u
b 3th october 1995 behind a racing car
c Fred Rompelberg born maastricht Holland 30th october 1945
lives mostly on mallorca where he has his own bike tours travel agency

He's also the oldest pro rider( he just files in a pro licence application every year In holland you can do this without belonging to a real pro team.)

his own website http://www.fredrompelberg.com/

Originally posted by maarten
a 268.8km/u
b 3th october 1995 behind a racing car
c Fred Rompelberg born maastricht Holland 30th october 1945
lives mostly on mallorca where he has his own bike tours travel agency

He's also the oldest pro rider( he just files in a pro licence application every year In holland you can do this without belonging to a real pro team.)

his own website http://www.fredrompelberg.com/

Indeed it is true, from now on maarten you are the "Cycling Trivia Champ" and it is up to you to see if you can keep it by asking a Cycling trivia question that we will not be able to answer.

Well Done.

Ps: I have attached a photo that you can see what he used to get it...:D

Originally posted by Vo2
I would'nt do 268 in a car, let alone on a bike! :eek:

I once did 190kph in a car....i'd never want to do that on a bike :D

Does anyone know what sort of gearing he used to get to that speed.

Leon

Originally posted by Leon
Does anyone know what sort of gearing he used to get to that speed.

Leon

If you have a close look at that photo, it looks like he has two chain rings......it must be a hidge gear ;)

Its indeed a hidge gear. Because with normal gears he would have to pedal illusive Rpm's.

Other interesting info he doesn't start from zero, he hangs on to a bar on the race car which brings him to +200km/u speed before he starts pedalling.

Actually this isn't an athletic performance concerning power or condition of the rider because of the immense drag benefits. Its primarely the preparation of race car, the balance of the bike and certainly the steering and balance abilities of the rider and not to forget guts!!!.

This guy once crashed at a speed around 200km/h breaking almost every bone in his body(yeah I've overdone it a little)

Ok new question
Tour de France history

difficult
1) Which Rider lost a tour the France stage because he drank to much wine and fell a sleep.
Name of rider and year.

not that difficult
2) In which of the early years and for what reason got several of the first riders in the tour disqualified.

Year and reason.

Ok new question
Tour de France history

difficult
1) Which Rider lost a tour the France stage because he drank to much wine and fell a sleep.
Name of rider and year.

not that difficult
2) In which of the early years and for what reason got several of the first riders in the tour disqualified.

Year and reason.

OK...I have tried everything. everyone and everywhere..And still no luck :mad:

I bow down!

Ok new question
Tour de France history

difficult
Name of rider and year.

not that difficult

Year and reason.

ok this is a classic mentionned in several books

extra tip for 1 he's an algerian

2) winner was H.C.

nobody?

Maarten, this is what I could come up with. (with a lot of help)
difficult
Name of rider and year.

In 1950 on an extremely hot day, two North Africans in the race broke away early. One of them, Abdel-Khader Zaaf, eventually began weaving and at one point stopped under a tree and fell asleep. The more likely reason for this was dehydration and exhaustion. The story goes that he was revived with red wine.

not that difficult

Year and reason.

In 1904 a number of riders including the winner, Maurice Garin, were disqualified for catching a ride in a car.

Don't know if it's right but sounds good! :D

Its correct.

Most of the disqualification stories say it was because of using the train but IMO car is close enough.

Have you got another question(s) to challenge the forum members?

Its correct.

Most of the disqualification stories say it was because of using the train but IMO car is close enough.

Have you got another question(s) to challenge the forum members?

Busy working on it, will post it a.s.a.p. !

OK,

Easy :D
1)Which Rock group / artist wrote a song after seeing the TDF which became a #1 hit? (artist & song title)

Not that easy :(
2)What made their performances of above hit "special" from then on whenever they performed above mentioned song live/ in concert?

Hey, whats up? No takers :p or didn't you think music, cycling and speed (nooo, not that ;) ) kind can mix.

Originally posted by Lazy legs
I'll give you another week then I'll post the answers.

Thank you, I have racked my brain...searched all over...don't know when I last worked so hard.:p

OK, I'll take you out of your missery.

1) Bicycle Race
2) Quoted from the cover of Queen greatest hits collection:
"Written by Freddie Mercury, produced by Queen and Roy Thomas Baker. Released in the UK in Oct. 1978 as a double a-side to Fat Bottomed Girls, from the Jazz album. The song was written by Freddie whilst in France, having just watched the TDF pass by his hotel. When it was played live, local cycle shops sold out of bicycle bells before each gig as fans snapped them up to ring at the appropriate moment during the song."