Fastest clincher tires ?

jeff3069

Jul 18, 2007
Hi ,

If anybody could suggest what are considered the fastest road clincher tires, I'd appreciate it

Tubular too in a secondary importance

Thanks,
J.

Thanks, GP4000 is what I use, though I'm told that there are 'faster' ones, and wonder which

Originally Posted by Dr Lodge .

For a clincher, the Continental GP4000 S is a good tyre.
fyi, your recommendation came up tops in the TOUR review I posted above. The recent generation GP with black chili is a great tire - the older versions felt a little sluggish.

Furthermore, Continental discovered that a 23mm tire, when seated on a 23mm rim (like the HED C2) yielded an 18% reduction in rolling resistance compared to a 19mm rim (typical Mavic clincher width) all other factors being equal.

I'm such a geek, I cut a pasted the RR list, excluding all the tubulars. :) Has that 2010 version added any new ones?

Top Categories
Popular
Recent
Group Albums
Competitions
tryedragallononepage.jpg

I 'try' to race on Vittoria Open Corsas, but I usually ride about 10km to races, so sometimes I don't feel like risking puncturing them on the way. Sometimes I put one on the front for a race, mostly for the placebo effect (and coz they feel nice :) ), and leave something more durable on the rear, such as a GP4000S. I also have some Michelin Pro 3s, which are ok, and not bad on grip, but they seem to be vulnerable to cuts.

I'd like to try the top Veloflexes, but they always seem harder to get than Vittorias.

Yep, all clinchers. The picture's a bit too big, so you might have to drag across to see the right side. Or, I could've just posted a smaller pic :)

tryedragallononepage.jpg

Originally Posted by 531Aussie .

I 'try' to race on Vittoria Open Corsas, but I usually ride about 10km to races, so sometimes I don't feel like risking puncturing them on the way. Sometimes I put one on the front for a race, mostly for the placebo effect (and coz they feel nice :) ), and leave something more durable on the rear, such as a GP4000S. I also have some Michelin Pro 3s, which are ok, and not bad on grip, but they seem to be vulnerable to cuts.

I'd like to try the top Veloflexes, but they always seem harder to get than Vittorias.
Interesting, Thanks.

Originally Posted by 531Aussie .

Yep, all clinchers. The picture's a bit too big, so you might have to drag across to see the right side. Or, I could've just posted a smaller pic :)

tryedragallononepage.jpg
Now you got all the picture in :) Thanks.

If you want something easier to read and portable, here's the AFM tire test data as of March, 2010 (Rev. 9), in a friendly pdf format. [ATTACHMENT=335]AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf (155k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Originally Posted by alienator .

If you want something easier to read and portable, here's the AFM tire test data as of March, 2010 (Rev. 9), in a friendly pdf format.

Good stuff ! thanks.

Attachments

• AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 40
[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]Thanks for all the good replies![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]Would you think that the provided data is true mainly on well-paved (smooth) road ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]Do top rated tires lose at list some of its advantage on not-so-smooth roads ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)]Thx.[/COLOR]

jeff3069 said:
[COLOR=006400]Thanks for all the good replies![/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]Would you think that the provided data is true mainly on well-paved (smooth) road ?[/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]Do top rated tires lose at list some of its advantage on not-so-smooth roads ?[/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]Thx.[/COLOR]
The ranking order will stay pretty much the same, no matter the road surface quality, although slight changes in order might be possible if two tires have similar rolling resistance.

Originally Posted by jeff3069 .

[COLOR= rgb(0,100,0)]Thanks for all the good replies![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,100,0)]Would you think that the provided data is true mainly on well-paved (smooth) road ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,100,0)]Do top rated tires lose at list some of its advantage on not-so-smooth roads ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,100,0)]Thx.[/COLOR]
The charts do provide tire pressure in psi vs. rolling resistance as measured on a drum or rollers. Under these circumstances (or on a velodrome) higher is usually better.

But similar to a skier, a bike moves faster when it stays on the ground (as opposed to skittering this way and that because the tires are jacked to the highest psi available). On an average road, assuming some irregularities, though the higher psi may give a better .crr value on paper (or in the velodrome), a pressure appropriate to the riders weight, will usually "roll" faster.