Fastest Speed for a training session

Irish Indurain

Jul 23, 2004
Well what is the fastest speed you have achieved for training/racing? Mine is a measly 69km/h, but i'm only a novice. I presume people can go much faster, supersonic maybe, but i want honest replies if possible to see how fast this sport can really be!

Irish Indurain said:
Well what is the fastest speed you have achieved for training/racing? Mine is a measly 69km/h, but i'm only a novice. I presume people can go much faster, supersonic maybe, but i want honest replies if possible to see how fast this sport can really be!
The saturday shootout rides here are fast, we do 60 miles in 2 hours 30 min and that is stopping for traffic and warming up, our speeds on the flats reach 45mph. a race i did 60 miles in 2 hour 13 min, no traffic to stop for.

Irish Indurain said:
80mph is 130kph, I only every reach that in my car nobody here would hit that on a bike.

Irish Indurain said:
i have done 70mph drafting a car down a big hill. i guess that is cheating though.

I've done 79kmph down a hill.

How do you draft behind a car downhill???
What if you hit a pothole or something. LOL only for the fearless.

Sprinter_989 said:

55mph (88kph) down a long straight local hill last weekend, my all-time max.

Sprinter_989 said:

i knew the road well, and there were no potholes. it was dead straight too.
it was more of a mini suv than a car, so there was more wind protection.
it's only a matter of spinning really fast

velomanct said:
i knew the road well, and there were no potholes. it was dead straight too.
it was more of a mini suv than a car, so there was more wind protection.
it's only a matter of spinning really fast

"it's only a matter of spinning really fast"

In a 53x12 to hit 79mph or 127kph - only 230 rpm, 212 rpm for a 53x11 !!!!!!

VeloFlash said:
"it's only a matter of spinning really fast"

In a 53x12 to hit 79mph or 127kph - only 230 rpm, 212 rpm for a 53x11 !!!!!!
200 rpms in 53x12 is 70mph on my bike. that's the gear i was riding.

don't you know that trackies can do 250+rpms?

velomanct said:

But that extra 9mph from 70 to 79 will take 30rpm totalling 230rpm.

Analytical cycling calculation

http://www.analyticcycling.com/GearCadenceSpeed_Page.html

Speed 79.0 mph
Chainring Teeth 53. teeth
Cog Teeth 12. teeth
Wheel Diameter 0.663 m
Cadence 230. rev/min

World class elite track riders achieve high rpm's for brief periods (to train CNS) with little resistance on an ergometer in laboratory like conditions without concerns of traffic, winds, balance, draft, dynamics, rolling resistance, etc.

On the competition track they would be geared to max out at 160rpm's tops.

VeloFlash said:
But that extra 9mph from 70 to 79 will take 30rpm totalling 230rpm.

Analytical cycling calculation

http://www.analyticcycling.com/GearCadenceSpeed_Page.html

Speed 79.0 mph
Chainring Teeth 53. teeth
Cog Teeth 12. teeth
Wheel Diameter 0.663 m
Cadence 230. rev/min

World class elite track riders achieve high rpm's for brief periods (to train CNS) with little resistance on an ergometer in laboratory like conditions without concerns of traffic, winds, balance, draft, dynamics, rolling resistance, etc.

On the competition track they would be geared to max out at 160rpm's tops.

You don't need to even pedal to go very fast down a very steep hill, so reaching 130+ kph is possible. I know somebody in England did it, and was ticketed by the police (it made it into "the Globe and Mail" in Canada). I've never lived around very steep and long hills so I've never had the opportunity to really "bomb" down a hill but I wouldn't try going that fast on a bicycle knowing how lousy the brakes are at such speeds.

I would point out that 130 kph has been achieved by specially faired recumbents on the flat as well. Cheetahs can also hit 117 km/h or so without a bicycle under them.

velomanct said:

Wow! That's incredible. Is there a way to improve your spin? I'm not talking about 200 and up. I'm talking about like 130 and then higher.

Irish Indurain said:

In a 100k race in a bunch with a strong tail wind I averaged 44kph, the winner 51.

Going down hill on my MTB, with the breaks on because of a 90 degree corner at the bottom I recorded 82 kph. Could have gone faster without the corner.

In an 80k time trial (as part of a triathlon - so no draughting) averaged 37 kph.

Training, including warming up and cooling down - average just over 30.

I'm a strong B grader in my club and ride lower grades at higher levels.

one of my routes takes me down (and up) a fairly steep hill that goes on for about a mile. the nice thing about it is that it levels out at the bottom and continues strait which allows you to build up alot of speed. I usually hit the low to mid 50s (mph). one time i really went for it and got up to 61.

a few weeks ago I passed a police officer going down this hill (the speed limit is 30mph and actually enforced strictly). it was pretty funny. I have never heard of anyone getting nagged for speeding on a bicycle. at the bottom of the hill he passed me and nothing happened. lol part of me was hoping he would issue me a ticket, just to show my father and get his reaction(im 17 and have already recieved one in my car). I guess i might be stupid but it would have been cool in it's own respect.

any ever get pulled over on bicycle for any reason?

Sprinter_989 said:

TUCK UP AND TRY TO STICK WITH IT MAKING SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO EITHER SWERVE OR STOP, I PREFARE VANS BUSES AND WAGONS MYSELF, SINCE YOU CAN HANG BACK A LITTLE AND STILL SEE THE POTHOLES.

MAX SPEED TODAY WITH AID OF A WAGON: 50.01 MPH TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THAT YESTERDAY I CYCLED 50 MILES FOR THE HELL OF IT.

gntlmn said:
Wow! That's incredible. Is there a way to improve your spin? I'm not talking about 200 and up. I'm talking about like 130 and then higher.
try spinning at the highest rpm you can(without bouncing on the saddle) for extended periods. 1 or 2 minutes intervals.

its simple, just spin fast!

..... here's the PHYSIOLOGY of Bradley Mcgee ..... although doesnt say his top speed !!

WEIGHT 70 kg
HEIGHT 182.5 cm
VO2MAX 89/mmol/min/kg
THRESHOLD 390-410 Watts at 195-205bpm
Av. WATTS for
4000mt Ind. Pursuit 530+

MAX REVS 225rpm (as a trackie!)

MAX HEART RATE 217bpm
RESTING HR 36-42bpm

Around Boulder, Colorado here there are lots of STEEP hills. I was shooting the breeze with a cop a few months ago and started talking about bombing down some of the hills. I asked him if he'd give me a ticket for going 50-55 MPH down a hill that I often ride on - I go that speed with some heavy braking... The posted speed limit is 35. He said he doesn't mess with average bikers but he's given a few tickets for going 70+ MPH.

Anything past about 45-50 is just a question of how steep the hill is more than RPM's - oh yeah and the inverse relationship of testosterone and brains. Spinning as fast as a trackie on a steep descent makes you unstable IMHO. I've had too many nasty crashes to have the courage left to get into a full aero tuck with my chest on the bars now that my teens and 20's are behind me.

How about the sprints in a pro-race like Giro Italia/Tour de France and other World Cup races ?
I red somewhere tha Alessandro Petacchi had an end-speed of 71 km/h in a winning sprint in the Giro. ...........
that would be 53x11 with about ONLY 115 rpm !

does anyone know what top-amateurs usualy reach in winning sprints ?
cu