Fastest Speed for a training session

DavidLee71 wrote:

I could average 35mph for 5 miles

I could cycle the trip to work(around 10 miles) in 21 mins

No offense dude, but 35 mph for 5 miles is (beyond) world class as is 21 minutes for 10 miles (world class). I have a little trouble believing you, unless you had a nice tailwind. In fact, I don't think any pro today could run a 5 mile prologue at 56 km/hr without a tailwind. Rominger, Boardman and Indurain could do it without a tailwind.

quote: I can manage 4.1 miles in under 10mins, might not sound fast

Yeah,that sounds more like it. Sounds like you are going to kick ass, if your performance now is significantly below what it was when you were younger.

-Bikeguy

DaveLee71 said:
Not up to speed with all the physics but 10 years ago, when I was 23 and 140lbs I could average 35mph for 5 miles from my town to the next, on a charity ride I managed to hold 40mph for about 4 miles with the wind for help. I could cycle the trip to work(around 10 miles) in 21 mins. Managed to hit 65mph downhill and got stopped by the police twice in one week for doing 49 and 50mph in a thirty zone!
I used to ride about 250-300 per week just for fun.
Then things happened, met my wife etc and cycling went off the boil until now, bought a road bike again last september, started cycling again, after 3 weeks practice in 9 years I entered a ride and came 5th out of 23 riders. Shortly after that I broke my ankle badly and it's only in the last 5 weeks I've been able to ride again but looking at my current times they would put me in the top ten for my local club! After about a months practice of only maybe 50miles a week I can manage 4.1 miles in under 10mins, might not sound fast but considering the amount of practice I'm quite chuffed, I'm now going to train for the rest of the year and join the club next year and see how I do. I'm now around 168lbs so hills are more fun but when I cycle to work I have a marvelous to go up in both directions!
My resting heart rate is around 49-52bpm and I'll be honest, I've probably got the worst diet on these forums (which my wife is going to change for me!).
I'm 33 now and regretting not keeping up with cycling over the last ten years but I'm more motivated now that ever to do something over the next ten!!
Dave

If Lance Armstrong reads this he' ll quit riding before the tour even starts and sign you up in his place. ;)

I will be honest and say those were true figures from when I was 23. The only thing I had lacking then was the guidance and advice of someone to help me achieve what I could of been possible of achieving, which when I look at figures now could have been good things, the 5 miles did have a couple of good downhill streches where you notch it up to around 50mph but they weren't very long. The 10miles to work I did every day and it would always be between 21 and 24 minutes depending on weather conditions. Used to leave the house at 5.15 in the morning and be in work, changed and having something to eat between 5.45 and 5.50am.
I don't wish to offend anyone or sound up myself as that is not in my nature but honestly these were my figures from 10 years ago.
I may be a little rusty now but it slowly coming back so hopefully I will be fully fit by the time next season starts, my biggest problem is that in my youth I didn't really look after my body during sport and my joints are feeling a little older and used but I do find that cycling helps.
I will keep you updated on how my training is going and maybe even try and do a little "Davecam" experience with a camcorder!
But honestly, honestly, honestly these were my true figures and I'm not even gonna kid myself that I can achieve those now but I will do my damnedest to get close.
To all who may not believe me, I'm a completely honest person who wants to make some cycling friends as none of my current friends are even interested in cycling.
TTFN
Dave

i did 25 miles in 1hr4min. the first half was done in under 1/2 hr.
high 30's km. alone in the wind.

Irish Indurain said:
Well what is the fastest speed you have achieved for training/racing? Mine is a measly 69km/h, but i'm only a novice. I presume people can go much faster, supersonic maybe, but i want honest replies if possible to see how fast this sport can really be!

DaveLee71 said:
I will be honest and say those were true figures from when I was 23. The only thing I had lacking then was the guidance and advice of someone to help me achieve what I could of been possible of achieving, which when I look at figures now could have been good things, the 5 miles did have a couple of good downhill streches where you notch it up to around 50mph but they weren't very long. The 10miles to work I did every day and it would always be between 21 and 24 minutes depending on weather conditions. Used to leave the house at 5.15 in the morning and be in work, changed and having something to eat between 5.45 and 5.50am.
I don't wish to offend anyone or sound up myself as that is not in my nature but honestly these were my figures from 10 years ago.
I may be a little rusty now but it slowly coming back so hopefully I will be fully fit by the time next season starts, my biggest problem is that in my youth I didn't really look after my body during sport and my joints are feeling a little older and used but I do find that cycling helps.
I will keep you updated on how my training is going and maybe even try and do a little "Davecam" experience with a camcorder!
But honestly, honestly, honestly these were my true figures and I'm not even gonna kid myself that I can achieve those now but I will do my damnedest to get close.
To all who may not believe me, I'm a completely honest person who wants to make some cycling friends as none of my current friends are even interested in cycling.
TTFN
Dave
maybe your speedometer was off?

unless your 4 mile trip at 40mph was nearly all downhill, with an extreme sustained tailwind, I don't believe it. 40mph takes at least 800watts on flat ground, and that is with top level aero equipment. the best cyclists in the world would only be able to hold that for ~90 seconds, nevermind 6-7minutes.

DaveLee71 said:
Yeah I am with Velomanct on this, your speedometer or memory is a little off. It just is not possible to do what you said even as a world class athlete...unless you have the frontal area and Cd of a record holding HPV ;) .
DaveLee71 said:
TTFN
Dave
No worries, you didn't offend anyone. It is just that your claim is a little to high to be possible, but I think most people realize it was unintentional.

FWIW an internet forum is not the place to make cycling friends... go to your LBS and find out where the group rides are. Hook up with some guys of similar ability and there is where you will meet some cycling friends in addition to being even more motivated to get better.

Lance Armstrong averaged 33.5 miles per hour on the Metz time trial (1999 TDF) and that isn't the fastest ever time trial.

When I was in my teens, I think I remember hitting 45 mph on a short, steep hill not far from here. That was more than 10 years ago. Since then, when I started riding again about three years ago, the fastest I have gone is 72 kph, which is about 44.6 mph. That was in North Carolina, on U.S. hwy 276 coming down from the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are steeper hills around here, but I am usually not bombing the descents, but trying to catch my breath.

The fastest I have maintained for an extended ride was 32 kph or so, which is about 20 mph. I think that was on a 30-40 km ride. This year, the best I have done is 30.3 kph (just under 19 mph), I think. That was for 50 km, or 31 miles, on a generally flat out and back course with hills and one or two stops at the beginning and end.

I have seen 91 kph on my computer a couple of times down steep hills in races, and 80 kph is not uncommon. In training maybe 78 to 80 kph down some hill a couple of times a week. From day to day it is 60 to 70 kph maximum. Comparisons are not fair for people who live in flat regions !. I cracked 50 kph average in a 20 kilometre ITT once - good roads and favourable conditions surely helped.

Here in Florida, 56 mph down Sugarloaf (1k straight shot, not super steep though)

French Alps, 62 mph down backside of Galibier (the open up side).

Neither of these was pedaling after the first bit, just tuck and go.

Only 44mph downhill I am leaving work early today and heading for the mountain to try and break that.