Fastest speed on MTN bike

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
This is for mtn bikes only. Flat road, no wind, solo.
What's your fastest sprint on a mtn bike?

I did 33mph yesterday, hardtail with a crappy soft front shock.

I've been 45mph, but that was due to the hill I was going down rather than my pedaling .

When i use to ride my mt bike(14months ago) my fastest sprints were 30 mph,on a hardtail frame with a sid lock out fork. by the way its for sale, all xtr, a GT Zaskar Team the bike Allison Dunlap won the mt bike championship on. retail was $3,500 will sale for $1000 plus shipping. will be on E Bay in about a week.

velomanct said:
This is for mtn bikes only. Flat road, no wind, solo.
What's your fastest sprint on a mtn bike?

I did 33mph yesterday, hardtail with a crappy soft front shock.

On flat road I my maximum top end speed is ~33mph and max cadence is about 160-170 on 2.1" knobbies (I don't use slicks). I never rode a road bike and I cannot compare.

Cannondale Scapel going down a 17 percent grade will get over 50 MPH on gravel with no lock-out necessary. Scary? Yes.

On flat pavement, I can get 35 MPH in top gear. no cadence info on this bike but I have spun 135 on my road bike.

I've gone up to 31 mph on my MTB........
It's a 250dollar cheap thing that weights 16kg and has Shimano Altus triple and stuff on it. Hardtail by the way.....and also stupid big tires with nopples...

You really can't go any faster on that freakin thing.......It just doesn't want to...
:D

Huge difference compared to my racing bike. Made 36mph on that one.....
Mind you I'm still a beginner though and have only been having a racing bike for 2 weeks now....
My new bike seems a bit faster though ( crashed my old one after 1 week by a stupid mistake ) so I'm wondering how fast I will get on that one.
Hope to go over 37mph.....
:D

My $129 NEXT bike (Wal-mart special) must have gone 18-20 at some point, but with no computer, who knows? As heavy as it is, probably not much faster. Just took the kickstand off a few weeks ago...

On the flat. Hmm.... 30 or 31. Down hill 49. Funny how the 49 seemed so much scarier

On paved railroad bed trail (true flat) 28 mph seems to be limit on Trek 800 sport no suspension. Down hill 38 mph coasting seems to unstable to pedal it faster at that speed.