Fastest Speed on the Flats--NO WIND

velomanct said:
Actually, taller riders have significantly more aero drag than shorter riders.

Do you have some figures on that? I know that taller TT riders have a considerable aerodynamic advantage per kg of body weight due to having a bigger motor but hardly any difference in frontal surface area in their tucked positions. I assumed this would translate into similar results in sprints, but I'm thinking of the body positioning on the bike now, which does not entirely mimic TT positioning. Riders are more likely to rise out of the saddle in a sprint, but then again, they usually have their hands on the lower grips on the handlebars. So I guess there is somewhat of a diminished height advantage. I wonder how much. I'd like to see some numbers on the aerodynamic drag and see how much it goes up for sprints.

gntlmn said:
Do you have some figures on that? I know that taller TT riders have a considerable aerodynamic advantage per kg of body weight due to having a bigger motor but hardly any difference in frontal surface area in their tucked positions. I assumed this would translate into similar results in sprints, but I'm thinking of the body positioning on the bike now, which does not entirely mimic TT positioning. Riders are more likely to rise out of the saddle in a sprint, but then again, they usually have their hands on the lower grips on the handlebars. So I guess there is somewhat of a diminished height advantage. I wonder how much. I'd like to see some numbers on the aerodynamic drag and see how much it goes up for sprints.
No figures on that. In full TT position, there will be less of a difference than during sprints. Unless there is a huge size difference, I would say that the rider producing the most power will go the fastest.

Have you ever seen Petacchi's bike? Its a 54cm and his bars are insanely lower than his saddle. Its like a TT setup, but with road bars. This gets him more aero during the sprints.

29 mph with a backpack full of work clothes, my thermos and lunch in it on a specialized allez. I was really excited too. This was before I had my computer, I was using one of those police radar trailers they set up on the side of the road that show your speed in huge red numbers. It was on a 1/4 mile stretch of smooth pavement in a 20 mph zone. Lots of fun. I have not tested my max speed lately though I think I can maybe top 30MPH now.

I just read something that suggested reducing rider width rather than
height gave a much bigger performance increase... of course, now I
have to go and find that reference! :)

fastest speed on the flat with no wind......... 46.5mph with a 60/11 gearing on a 650c rear wheel on the tailfaired lowracer.

To achieve this speed with no wind and a 0% grade only requires 904 watts peak at max speed. I can put out higher than 904 watts of course, but a lot of energy gets sapped getting up to the mid 30's before the final sprint up over 40mph. The good thing though is the coasting factor after the sprint. The bike will coast about a mile once you stop pedaling when over 40mph.

gntlmn said:
That's probably a pretty good guess because the heavier guys are usually taller, and thus tend to have better aerodynamics per kg than the shorter guy like McEwan due to the fact that their frontal surface area is not much more. I remember Frankie Andreu said Magnus Backstedt, another heavy sprinter (and I think Paris/Roubaix winner), was cranking out about 1800 watts in his sprints during the Tour de France this year.

The other thing you have to think about with McEwan though is that he gets in between those big guys, and he may get more out of the draft than they do. But I still think you're right about his watts/kg being the highest.
Cool, funny you should mention Frankie Andreu . I totally smoked him at the 2004 Hilly Hundred this year. Yeah I did cheat though by being on a tailfaired lowracer.

Jumped out from a good lead-out a couple of weeks ago and topped 68.6km/h (43mph) on the final sprint (Max speed from computer).
Dunno how often I do it...... just happened to check it that day, as it felt pretty darn quick.

I don't know what my top speed really is, but I've been clocked by radar at 39. At the time I was using a spare front tire which was 1.5" wide and had a noisy 'V' tread.

Chris Slowdio Evans,
I see you admit you cheat all the time with a tail-faired lowracer.

BTW, if you can output over 900 watts just imagine all the watts the real HPV stock racers who race faster than you can output without the cheater fairing.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

lowracervk2 said:
Yeah I did cheat though by being on a tailfaired lowracer.

Slowdio,
Next time set your computer to mph instead of kph. No one at the HPV race circuit has ever seen you sprint past 28 mph.

Your tall tales about speed and watts are very funny.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

lowracervk2 said:
fastest speed on the flat with no wind......... 46.5mph with a 60/11 gearing on a 650c rear wheel on the tailfaired lowracer.

To achieve this speed with no wind and a 0% grade only requires 904 watts peak at max speed. I can put out higher than 904 watts of course, but a lot of energy gets sapped getting up to the mid 30's before the final sprint up over 40mph. The good thing though is the coasting factor after the sprint. The bike will coast about a mile once you stop pedaling when over 40mph.

Listen Foltz,
Both you and Slowdio need to change your speedos to mph instead of kph. Old school recumbent design like the Baron is what a slow bike path benter rides.

Got any plans to pull off a 39 mph in an HPV stock race or are you a fantasy racer like Slowdio? 39 mph is faster than a hardshell streamer speed on the track.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

blazingpedals said:
I don't know what my top speed really is, but I've been clocked by radar at 39. At the time I was using a spare front tire which was 1.5" wide and had a noisy 'V' tread.

Johnny NoCom said:
Slowdio,
Next time set your computer to mph instead of kph. No one at the HPV race circuit has ever seen you sprint past 28 mph.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

Johnny,

Look at Chris Evans "SLOWDIO's" results, he's delusional as his top speed is INDEED 28 mph on a velodrome pushing as hard as possible for 2 1/2 laps in the KM.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2003/northbrook2003_results.htm

Bill

lowracervk2 said:

That's odd Mr. Chris Evan's SLOWDIO!

Your highest attained speed in the 1 km at the Northbrook velodrome was 28 mph! A bit more realistic and a far cry off your 46.5 mph claim.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2003/northbrook2003_results.htm

AMD timing equipment never lies like YOU DO!!!!

Bill

lowracervk2 said:
Cool, funny you should mention Frankie Andreu . I totally smoked him at the 2004 Hilly Hundred this year. Yeah I did cheat though by being on a tailfaired lowracer.

You sure that wasn't Frankie Avalon?

Didn't you know the Hilly Hundred with 50 mile courses each day is a recreational family type of affair? Riders enjoy the rest stops, food, music, and camaraderie and tend not to prove nor make athletic statements. You should participate in race venues with other recumbents rather than pound on recreational cyclists and families out to enjoy the scenery and weather.

Take a deep breath now......hmmmmmmmmm.........and relax........ahhhhhhhhhh

Bill

Johnny NoCom said:
Listen Foltz,
Both you and Slowdio need to change your speedos to mph instead of kph. Old school recumbent design like the Baron is what a slow bike path benter rides.

Got any plans to pull off a 39 mph in an HPV stock race or are you a fantasy racer like Slowdio? 39 mph is faster than a hardshell streamer speed on the track.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

Johnny,

Blazinpedals posted his fantastic average speed on the Hilly Hundred, the event where his buddy SLOWDIO dropped Frankie Andre......er Avalon.....

John Foltz specified, "I averaged 17.6 on the Sunday route, and nearly that on Saturday in the big wind."

Both those yo - yo's are genuine FOGS.....

Bill

after reading this thread i pushed myself today on a flat and hit 30mph, was pleasantly surprised.

leads me to a question though. pretty sure last i checked my ride is 52/12, but i might be a tad off on that info. now, even going down a good long hill, i max at about 37mph, and before i reach that speed i've gotten to the point where even if i'm pedalling, i'm not feeling any resistance on the drivetrain, i'm just spinning the pedals, ie the bike seems to be going faster than my pedalling can make it go. i'm guessing that happens around 35mph for me. so how the heck would i ever be able to go faster than 35mph on the flat even if i could manage that speed? more front teeth, less rear teeth, bigger wheels?

send me a clue please, thanks :)

fusioncon said:
after reading this thread i pushed myself today on a flat and hit 30mph, was pleasantly surprised.

leads me to a question though. pretty sure last i checked my ride is 52/12, but i might be a tad off on that info. now, even going down a good long hill, i max at about 37mph, and before i reach that speed i've gotten to the point where even if i'm pedalling, i'm not feeling any resistance on the drivetrain, i'm just spinning the pedals, ie the bike seems to be going faster than my pedalling can make it go. i'm guessing that happens around 35mph for me. so how the heck would i ever be able to go faster than 35mph on the flat even if i could manage that speed? more front teeth, less rear teeth, bigger wheels?

send me a clue please, thanks :)
Spin faster! You seem to be redlining at about 100 rpm. A good spinner can spin smoothly at 150rpm or more. As for myself, I get a bit bouncy at 140.

Johnny NoCom said:
Slowdio,

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom
You haven't wasted enough time searching for my racing results. You are getting sloppy. You are a liar. 28 mph is very far from the truth. You said the fastest sprint speed at the hpv races was 28mph for my top sprint speed. Try 39.5mph on the stock baron with spoke wheels no covers.

That was over a year and a half ago.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2003/michigan2003-results.htm

get a life you chicago moron.

billgout said:
You sure that wasn't Frankie Avalon?

Didn't you know the Hilly Hundred with 50 mile courses each day is a recreational family type of affair? Riders enjoy the rest stops, food, music, and camaraderie and tend not to prove nor make athletic statements. You should participate in race venues with other recumbents rather than pound on recreational cyclists and families out to enjoy the scenery and weather.

Take a deep breath now......hmmmmmmmmm.........and relax........ahhhhhhhhhh

Bill

You apparently have not been to the hilly hundred. There are two types that go to the event. Yes the ones who plod along and talk the whole time and the ones who make it a competition. You would prefer to plod and talk I'm sure.