Fastest Speed on the Flats--NO WIND

Blazing PutPut,
Spinning at 140 rpm will not make you much faster. Your old school heavy discus Foltz clunker will never go fast.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

blazingpedals said:
Spin faster! You seem to be redlining at about 100 rpm. A good spinner can spin smoothly at 150rpm or more. As for myself, I get a bit bouncy at 140.

My max sprint has been 42 mph and have managed to keep 24 mph for an hour too but that has been in a race. I do a lot of sprint work in the spring in readiness for the race season.

lowracervk2 said:
You haven't wasted enough time searching for my racing results. You are getting sloppy. You are a liar. 28 mph is very far from the truth. You said the fastest sprint speed at the hpv races was 28mph for my top sprint speed. Try 39.5mph on the stock baron with spoke wheels no covers.

That was over a year and a half ago.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2003/michigan2003-results.htm

get a life you chicago moron.

Sowdio,

And from the results we see you averaged a PATHETIC 23 MPH in the 1 hour TT including wheelsucking!

Your 200 meter sprint was at the bottom of big hill where everyone could coast up to 30 mph before the traps MORON!

Bill

lowracervk2 said:
You haven't wasted enough time searching for my racing results. You are getting sloppy. You are a liar. 28 mph is very far from the truth. You said the fastest sprint speed at the hpv races was 28mph for my top sprint speed. Try 39.5mph on the stock baron with spoke wheels no covers.

That was over a year and a half ago.

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/racing2003/michigan2003-results.htm

get a life you chicago moron.

Sowdio,

Your 200 meter sprint was at the bottom of big hill where everyone could coast up to 30 mph before the traps MORON! It's like being towed with a bungee cord, you are a real wimp!

Come to Northbrook next summer and average your claimed 39 mph in the 1 KM ...... that is 2 1/2 laps and I'll give you $5,000 USA Dollars! Now you must ride a stock class bike without the sissy fairing!!!!!! And if you don't do it, give me $5.00? Like the odds, 1000/1?

Bill

There is absolutely no competition for an HPV racer at a century ride Chris "Slowdio" Evans. There is no chip timing speed system to ensure accuracy of speed. There are no closed off roads with race officials to ensure safety and there are no HPV class points allowed for recreational rides.

Once again you fail to recognize that competition for an HPV racer is at HPV racing events and NOT at recreational bicycle events that are not races.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

Chris "Slowdio" Evans AKA lowracervk2 said:
You apparently have not been to the hilly hundred. There are two types that go to the event. Yes the ones who plod along and talk the whole time and the ones who make it a competition. You would prefer to plod and talk I'm sure.

Johnny NoCom said:
There is absolutely no competition for an HPV racer at a century ride Chris "Slowdio" Evans. There is no chip timing speed system to ensure accuracy of speed. There are no closed off roads with race officials to ensure safety and there are no HPV class points allowed for recreational rides.

Once again you fail to recognize that competition for an HPV racer is at HPV racing events and NOT at recreational bicycle events that are not races.

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

Yawn.......... this is great . just waiting for you to develop carpal tunnel. I'll be happy to put you in the hospital.

lowracervk2 said:
Yawn.......... this is great . just waiting for you to develop carpal tunnel. I'll be happy to put you in the hospital.

Slowdio,
Be sure to move your slow ass and old school design slowracer with fairing gimmick out of my way when you hear me say "passing on your left".

Cheers,
Johnny NoCom

ive hit 43mph on a flat with no wind, only for a few seconds though. this summer i hit 55mph down a hill pedaling like mad the whole way.

Man there are some dudes here that pull wild speeds and awsome hit outs, and im proud to join you. Ive had a mountain bike for three days now and before that have been doing road miles on a loaner from a mate.

On this big chunk of a mountain bike today i pulled about 55-57 km/h past a bunch of roadie mate i ride with, it was a hoot, screamed as i blew past them and then huffed as i blew up. I must admit that they had towed me to about 45 km/h.

On a racer i can hit 68 km/h on a flat rd no assistance, but it takes a couple of days to get over that. I love the rush, love the speed and mostly love my fellow riders hope to die in bed with my lover and be buried with my bike, hell you need transport in the after life dont you?

Man there are some dudes here that pull wild speeds and awsome hit outs, and im proud to join you. Ive had a mountain bike for three days now and before that have been doing road miles on a loaner from a mate.

On this big chunk of a mountain bike today i pulled about 55-57 km/h past a bunch of roadie mates i ride with, it was a hoot, screamed as i blew past them and then huffed as i blew up. I must admit that they had towed me to about 45 km/h.

On a racer i can hit 68 km/h on a flat rd no assistance, but it takes a couple of days to get over that. I love the rush, love the speed and mostly love my fellow riders hope to die in bed with my lover and be buried with my bike, hell you need transport in the after life dont you?

38.6 m.p.h. for a couple of seconds. For you Chicagoans there is a part of the lakefront trail that is located just south of North ave beach and stops at the Ohio street beach it is a little more than one half mile. It is a straight shot like a dragstrip... Anyways I ride this almost daily and I give my bike gas on this staightaway when it is not too crowded of course wich it is many times it is dangerous to steer around UNPREDICTABLE people!!

When you are on the flats you arent trying to do a all out sprint you should try to keep a constant high speed because you can keep a non sprint speed for a while on a flat if you dont have any wind

bellafonte said:

On this big chunk of a mountain bike today i pulled about 55-57 km/h past a bunch of roadie mates i ride with, it was a hoot, screamed as i blew past them and then huffed as i blew up. I must admit that they had towed me to about 45 km/h.

I like the way you think but next time put the speed in both metric and english

William Henry said:
When you are on the flats you arent trying to do a all out sprint you should try to keep a constant high speed because you can keep a non sprint speed for a while on a flat if you dont have any wind
If I'm reading this right, you're trying to tell us you can make better time by dropping the pace down a notch and sustaining it longer. That may be, but what you're left with isn't a top speed, it's a time trial.

PS - 68Kph=42mph

48mph!
Behind a double decker bus from Hitchin to Lower Stondon on the Bedford rd.
WELL u never said anything about drafting!!!
On the way to a club 10 mile TT, the time for the TT....... **** I blew myself out, dangerous but worth the effort though.
ddb
;)
gntlmn said:
What's your fastest speed on the flats with no wind? This has to be on a regular bike, not a human powered vehicle or recumbent and not on a downhill. How fast can you pedal the bike any distance in a sprint? Be honest now!

To convert from kilometers per hour to miles per hour, divide by 1.609. In other words, 1.609 kph = 1 mph.

Reading all these speed posts is discouraging for me. I was hoping to start racing this year, but it looks like my only chance to win is in a break away since my sprint speed is only 33mph (54kph).

I would be interested to know what racing level you are along with your sprint speeds. Maybe you 35mph sprinters are CAT 3,2,1 racers?

grampy bone said:
I would be interested to know what racing level you are along with your sprint speeds. Maybe you 35mph sprinters are CAT 3,2,1 racers?
My best sprint was 40mph (63.3kph). I can usually hold 30mph for about 2-3 miles, but not without my eyes watering and my legs burning. :D I still haven't made all of my mass starts yet, so I'm still a Cat 5.

I can hit 34 on the flat with no wind on a tourer but that is only for a few seconds!