Fastest Speed on the Flats--NO WIND

Well, I've hit 60 on the flats, and no wind at all....does it count when doing it on rollers? :p That was in a 53X11, the cadence max on the computer said I hit 160. Now that's probably not what you were talking about. ;)

My wife and I have hit 36 on the tandem...on my single, I'm afraid I'm a few mph slower...we have hit 56.3 on a long (and VERY straight) descent. Probably could have gone faster, but she was screaming back there!!! :eek:

Wow, some of you guys are scarey fast!. I can hold around 40-45kph for a decent while on the flats but haven't gotten much over 60 on a big down hill I live by, would have thought if I do 45 on a straight patch I could do much more on a hill.....wonder why not?.
I ride a decent Hybrid (cost about €1000), wonder how much of a difference a real road bike would make in terms of speed?.

kingbuxton said:
I ride a decent Hybrid (cost about €1000), wonder how much of a difference a real road bike would make in terms of speed?.

a big difference, 6-10kph faster at sprint effort is possible on a road bike.

I've only tested myself on a 11% downhill grade, no wind or drafting: 46mph (as per GPS)

on flats I cruise at 18-20mph, so I'd say max would probably be 27-28? of course I have a Trek1000c so I'm not the most aerodynamic cyclist on the block

anyway, don't know how many of you may have already seen this, but worth a repost:

top human-powered-vehicle speed (flat, no wind, no drafting): 80.55mph

http://www.speed101.com/gallery/

My fastest yet was 35.4 on my singlespeed. There is a nice stretch of highway near my house (even with a bike lane) that I did it on. Had a messenger bag full of sparring gear too lol.

I ride 6 days a week on my mountain bike and I do, on average, about 10 miles a day and my average speed for those 10 miles ranges from 15.5 to 17 mph...Depending on the wind that particular day I have been able to pedal out 23 mph for about 1.5 to 2 miles. My max speed from a dead stop on level ground was 30 mph/48.27 KMH I can not wait to get a road bike becasue my leg strength from riding a MTB for the past 2 years is going to make my road bike speeds and distances awesome. :)

24.6 mph is my fastest speed on the flats. I was able to keep this speed for about 1 second. A car pulled out in front of me.
rolleyes.gif
I could have probably hit 30, Speed is not important for me. I value my life more. This was on a hybrid bike.