Fastest you ever cycled?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claud Butter, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Claud Butter

Claud Butter New Member

I hit 37 mph. I estimated someone doing close to 50 (down a very long hill)when driving though. Most of the time I do about 17-20mph on a strait.

Whats a good top speed going downhill for a road racing cycle? I realy had to push for 37mph as I only have 2 chainrings.

Tags:

2. The Sync

The Sync New Member

On a slight downhill i've done 44mph. Kinda surprised the car motorists that i was going as fast as they were.

3. Jaliveto

Jaliveto New Member

55.2 down a 1.3 mile very steep grade. Could go much faster but there are some very serious turns. I'm sure people on this forum have gone faster. ]

4. Claud Butter

Claud Butter New Member

I just hit 40mph today. Not bad for a double chainset bike.

5. topcat

topcat New Member

my comp says my max speed is 95.2mph lol, no idea how it got that info, but on friday i was behind a bus and it stopped so i had to lift the wheel to the left to go through the gap between the pavement but i stil dont see how the wheel would have span at 95mph.

6. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

47 MPH, scared the shit out of me b/c right around the bend was a stop light. (I had hoped I timed it right) I did. Thank God. But speed wise it wasn't scary.

7. velomanct

velomanct New Member

70mph behind my friends suv down a big hill

8. RyBike

RyBike New Member

As was stated in other threads, your "double chainset" is not holding you back. The reason people buy "triple chainrings" is usually to get "smaller" or "easier" gears. Almost all normal (meaning double) road bike cranks come with a big chainring that is 53t, while triples are either 53t or 52t. This means that not only is having a double not a detriment, it might actually be an advantage to going faster. But at 40mph you are probably not gear limited, just spin limited (although I guess that would be the same thing as gear limited), or wattage limited. If you want to go faster: find a steeper hill, learn to spin faster, or get stronger.

If you really think that you need bigger gearing don't worry about getting a triple chainset (unless you want to buy one and put custom gearing on it; something like 56-42-30....but that would just be crazy), what you should do is go out and buy a new cassette for your rear (something with an 11) or buy a 54 tooth chainring for your front. But, as I said above, I don't think gearing is really your problem.

9. Virenque

Virenque New Member

80 km/h = 50 mph

10. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Actually I hit a new max speed last week.

11. Claud Butter

Claud Butter New Member

Maybe the sensor magnet on the wheel itself stoped next to the sensor connected to the actual speedo. This may trigger a high speed rating even when stopped. You can prove this by moving the magnet back and forth in front of the sensor very fast. Well at least you can with my speedo.

Its actualy possible to do about 180mph on a bike. Can anyone guess how?

12. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

180 mph? Fastest I heard is 167 mph by Edmund Burke on a specially built bicycle down a long, straight flat road (must have been!) drafting very closely behind a windshield attached to a motor vehicle. burke was towed up to 120 mph and then continued to accelerate under his own power. I believe Burke met his end when he was struck by a truck from behind while out cycling one day, although I've heard another news story that he died of natural causes.

To go 180 mph I think you'd have to do what Burke did, but down about a 3% gradient or so.

I don't volunteer.

13. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

Today I hit 47 mph without really trying. Just coasted down a steep downhill. I've hit 55 on the same downhill but I was sprinting at the top.

We've got an uber downhill around here that's 13-17 % and 1 mile long and straight. I bet it would be easy to hit 70+ mph on that sucker... But there's just way too much traffic on it.

14. corin

corin New Member

I weigh just over 185 and I drop like a rock (which is a good thing since the light guys drop me on the way up). I hit 50 mph going down regular hills all the time and when there's no cars to slow me down on the long descents on some of the steeper hills I can hit 60. I've seen guys go faster than that but now that my teens and 20's are behind me I'm no longer willing (brave enough or stupid enough maybe) to hang my torso out on the bars to get fully aero. Talked to a Boulder cop once that said he'd ticketed several bikers doing 70+ mph in a 35 zone (no drafting just hanging it out).

In a race a couple weeks ago my top speed was 58 mph and my buddy who weighs 140 had a top speed of only 42 or 43, he was a lot faster than me up the hill but I caught a lot of people coming down and on the flats.

Make sure your brakes are well adjusted and keep the rubber side down.

15. velomanct

velomanct New Member

i hear a lot about riders in Boulder CO hitting 70mph. i need to go there some day.

16. maarten

maarten New Member

have gone 114 k an hour that's just more than 70mph that was on a downhill though

the fastest or at least one off the fastest on a flat road is dutch oldtimer Fred Rompelberg he did 268k an hour thats 167 mph on a salt lake in utah. At one atemmpt he fell off broke a lot off bones really a lot. Beat it if you can :)

17. closesupport

closesupport Banned

straight off the edge of a cliff or into the grandcanyon,

no that was by one of those funny bikes that you liwe back on with thew enormos front chainset but, the only other i havae seen was using a train to dsraft off,

my max speeds was set last week on a very long downhill road, not to steep though, but 65.3 mph other than that 43.5 but on the flat 39mph with 23avg

18. velomanct

velomanct New Member

yeh, it's nice when you are behind a windsheild and have zero wind resistence.

19. closesupport

closesupport Banned

a few weeks ago i hit this, and got a remark made by a Driver of a BMW convertable, Nice bike mate :D

note that the Heart rate stops at the rate displayed when the chest strap is removed, that HR is no wear near what it was at 197bpm. 104.93kph i must admit that this was on a slight decline, nothing to steep, i wouldn't even class it as a hill, though it was very gradual and lasted about a mile, if i had a little more time i could have accellerated further but i was wide mouthed and gulping in the air 53x14 and still dropping.

20. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Hm..250 km/h? Good..