Fastest you ever cycled?

I broke 63 MPH on a very short descent. The roadway was just placed on the natural contour of the hill which was hemispherical in section. Avergae grade was ~16% but there were shorter sections that were approaching 24%. There was a 3/10 mile straigh at the bottom before I had to brake HARD.

Not my fastest. I broke 70 MPH on a mountain pass descent, tailwind and about 2 miles of up to 14%. In paceline, naturally.

most i've done is 55mph but, relatively speaking, that was still the most adrenaline charged ride i've had. i compare that to 160mph in a mates porsche boxster.

i once hit a turkey while descending at over 40mph, broke its neck with the front of my chainring, feathers everywhere like a pillow had exploded. v. lucky not to come off.

I regularly get upto 54mph on a steep descent near London and would probabaly be able to go quicker if it was longer and didn't have a couple of sharp twists in it.....still, its a psychotic thrill but quite scary.
In an interview in last years Procycling magazine Lance Armstrong was asked what was his highest speed was.......75mph out training in the Pyrenees

My top speed was 56.2 mph. This was down a pretty steep hill, however right after you get your top speed there is a very sharp left turn. If you don't start slowing down soon enough you go over a nice rocky drop off.

I was using a 53 x 13 when I hit my top speed.

The fastest I have ever hit is about 56mph going down Warrenville rd in Warren New Jersey. It is about a 15% gradient in places. Going up is a little slower (who the hell am I kidding, a lot slower) but just as much fun.
I grew up in Ireland and the steepest hill there is St Patricks hill in Cork city.
You could do about 45mph on that just by letting go of the brakes but way too short and too much traffic to go crazy on that one.

Colin

I did 55 MPH on a very steep hill. Front wheel got really squirrly and starting moving side to side. Not too much room for error going that fast, especially if there are cars, pedestrians, wind or rain. Don't go quite as fast as I used to since I value my body parts more than I did before.

57mph at a place called 'Downhill' (and no I'm not kidding!) no the North coast of Ireland. Quite a steep hill on which I practiced my climbing (and descending). Once I got a snakebite puncture (rear) at 55mph (still accelerating) and managed to bail into the grass on the side of the road - literally no scratches! I was more disappointed at not breaking 57 than coming off and scratching my bar tape and pedals!

Newbie, just turned 16 and have had my bike for 2 days, in normal clothes today with normal shoes i hit 50km/h, is that good for riding on the flat? I havnt taken the bike to the hills yet.

Not bad, that's 30 MPH. When I used to sprint on the flats if you get up over 35 MPH you are doing pretty good. You are 16 so you still have room to get faster for sure.

Olsilverback said:
Newbie, just turned 16 and have had my bike for 2 days, in normal clothes today with normal shoes i hit 50km/h, is that good for riding on the flat? I havnt taken the bike to the hills yet.