fastest you ever rode ON THE FLAT?

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
I just went over 65 kph (40 mph) for a minute or two in a flat race.....pretty exciting....massive wind behind us.

anyone been over 70? (44mph) I know the peloton of the Olympia's Tour race in Holland went over the afsluitdijk (the dyke that keeps the see out here) at over 70 with a gale behind them.

I've gotten over 60 before whilst training, but only with furious winds behind me....

BullGod said:
I just went over 65 kph (40 mph) for a minute or two in a flat race.....pretty exciting....massive wind behind us.

anyone been over 70? (44mph) I know the peloton of the Olympia's Tour race in Holland went over the afsluitdijk (the dyke that keeps the see out here) at over 70 with a gale behind them.

I've gotten over 60 before whilst training, but only with furious winds behind me....
35 MPH drafting behind a bus for about 1 mile. It was on a flat/false flat section of road. It stopped to pick up people. When it passed me again on more of an up hill section I could not catch it. Then it made a light that I did not.

vadiver said:
35 MPH drafting behind a bus for about 1 mile.

I've gotten up to I think 45mph drafting a truck. It might have been a smidge downhill too, I can't remember. I got scared though and backed off after a few seconds. I'll look for the power file.

About 32 mph solo-usually over rolllers. Get a little speed up on the downside then just bury the pedals for as long as you can. Of course you seasaw from 21 to 32 up and over, up and over, but in the flatter sections between the rollers its a tick over 30 right now. Too bad I couldnt hold that for an hour (can you say 49 minute 40k!!).

Ray

73 kph drafting a semi up a very slight slope, about 3-4 meters back. Over 60 kph on the flat, calm winds. 63 kph in a road race, winds were calm. I've got to try the semi draft again, when I did it 3 years ago my top sprint was only 55 kph in calm wind and level conditions, and I couldn't hang in a road race.

-bikeguy

BullGod said:

I remember cruising in the middle of the pack at 42 mph years ago in a cat. 4 criterium (1.7 miles/lap). I don't recall, but assume that the final sprint was at least that fast on the same straightaway. Strong tail wind of course.

Hmmm I would say in the mid 40mph range, likely in a race. I've hit 44 on a flat after a small downhill with a tailwind by myself.

jeez, I would've assumed the poster's question would NOT have included drafting a semi :)

even with a very strong wind, I don't think I could get over 65kph without a dip

held about 55-60 mph for about a minute during Hurricane George in Florida on a flat road. Race at Coconut Grove was cancelled so we went out for a ride in 50+ mph winds. 53x11, totally spun out, passed a car driving slowly on the highway. going south (against the wind) we were struggling in our bottom gear.

typical fast sprints at SUNY Purchase NY sprint workouts were 44-46 mph, very slight downgrade. slow sprints were 42 mph. there were a half dozen racers who would duke out sprints at this speed, over the course of 20-30 sprints in 2.5-3 hours.

my own sprints on Summer St typically hit 40-44 mph, 48 mph is my record. I get a leadout from either riders or a car but I sprint on my own.

In Cat 3 races the attacks are ususally in the mid 30's to 40 mph or so. The Pro/1/2/3 races I've entered sometimes average 35+ mph for a few minutes (and then I get dropped so I don't see any more of the race).

On my Wensday race training group ride I was pulling to guys behind me to the fiinish line at 35mph.

cdy291 said:
On my Wensday race training group ride I was pulling to guys behind me to the fiinish line at 35mph.
I've never done a top speed test, but at my approximate 1 minute power, I can hold 50km/h on my hardtail. It's fairly easy to sprint up to 50. I've never tried for higher, but my gears are alot lower than on a road bike. It's hard to spin a 44-11 combo past 50km/h. It would be easier with a 48 even. I don't know if they make any for XC cranksets though.

I dont have a very high max power output but I have a very high sustainable power output. So usaualy the only way I can win a race is to be the first one to jump, then just haul some big time ass for the finish line.

just he other day I actually got into the 12, hit 32mph on my commute to work.. must've been a tail wind, because I never even get into the 12 on the flats, on my own. I can push the 13 to around 30mph on my own effort, but that doesn't last very long. I've drafted cars going down-hill to around 50mph, serious adrenaline.

Doing intervals on the group ride tonight, crested a roller and then hit a mile at 38.5 max and 32.8 min mph! Best Ive ever done. One guy bridged up and we were able to get it up to 38 mph again as we drafted. That was fun. A guy with a set of Zipp 808's started to roll up as we backed off and he said the 808's just flew the faster he went. Me wants (but FP60's will be fine).