Fastest you've gone....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by JAF, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. JAF

    JAF Guest

    That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    I've been on a bike.

    I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.

    What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    so we can try it out!!)

    James

  2. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, JAF wrote:

    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)
    >
    > James

    77 through the cutting in Ivanhoe/Heidelberg, Use to sprint through
    here 3 time a week after work, almost had a nasty crash when a booze bus
    was parked in the LH lane just after the curve at the bottom of the
    hill.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | Come and see me play!
    | Accordionist | 2traverse
    | Musician | Sept 25 - Oct 12 @ the Store Room
    | Music Teacher | cos` co tworzy jakby mapy na mojej sko`rze

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    JAF <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)

    83km/h on a dually MTB, down a hill (obviously) in Rankin Park,
    Newcastle.

    --
    Heath
    | *Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool* |

  4. BAH

    BAH Guest

    On 16 Oct 2003 20:15:01 +0950, JAF <[email protected]> Wrote :
    >That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    >limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    >I've been on a bike.
    >
    >I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    >almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    >going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
    >
    >What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    >so we can try it out!!)

    There was a group of four of us all broke 115kph going down from
    Tooma res. to Khancoban. (Melways 523 D6) That's the highest
    "speed" that I've attained but it's a mostly straight line.

    For going FAST try heading down to Tumut 2 outlet from Cabramurra.
    On a loaded touring bike ( is there any other kind ? ) I've never been
    much over 65 or so going down there but I've scraped front panniers,
    hit pedals, hit my knee on the road but thankfully I've not come
    off...:) ( um yet ) If you're going to do it on a loaded bike you need good
    brakes applied HARD as late as you dare if you want to enjoy it to
    the limit...:)

    >James
    >

    >--

    BAH Humbug

  5. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    <...>
    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)

    72km/h going down Glen Iris Rd (Melbourne) from Toorak Rd.

    I don't get out to real hills very often!

    Tim

  6. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    JAF wrote:

    > That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    > limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    > I've been on a bike.

    87 kph, in a drop-tuck, down the big hill eastward into Apollo Bay
    (Victoria) with a howling tail-wind, day 3 of 4 touring the Great Ocean
    Road with my l'il sister, 1995. Me on a (heavy, heavy) 1993 GT
    Karakoram with retrofitted drop bars, and 2 full bidons and a full
    rack-top bag and no panniers; she was riding her road bike with an
    over-stuffed day-pack, which thankfully meant she couldn't go so fast as
    me. I think at some stage I called back to her (having
    micro-PTSD-flashbacks), "Jen, please just ride down at your own pace,
    don't follow meeeee..... wheeeeeee!"

    I'm sure Melb to Warnambool riders have gone much faster, even tho it's
    the opposite direction

    > I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    > almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    > going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
    >
    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)
    >
    > James

  7. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    > limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    > I've been on a bike.
    >
    > I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    > almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    > going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
    >
    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)

    96 km/h coming back down Fitz's Hill during the Canberra Two Day Tour about
    12 years ago. It was somewhat terrifying, especially when a) a guy near me
    went off into the dirt on the LHS (somehow he saved it), b) a car came up
    the other direction, and c) there was a cattle grid at the bottom. However
    we didn't care as we were chasing the main bunch that we'd been dropped from
    on the way up the damn hill. We caught them, shortly after the bottom :)

    Jeff

  8. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Come and ride the Fitz's Challenge in the ACT Sunday after next. You can
    easily clock somewhere around 95-100kph coming down Fitz's Hill. It climbs
    300m over 2.4km, which gives an average gradient of 12.5%, and is pretty
    straight most of the way down - there's one bend about half a kilometre from
    the bottom where you need to slow to 75 but otherwise just let it rip. I
    have a chart taken off an altimeter speedo from last year's ride at
    http://www.tip.net.au/~njpayne/bikestuff/fitz/.

    Nick

    "JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)

  9. DJ

    DJ Guest

    news:[email protected]

    :
    > >That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    > >limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    > >I've been on a bike.
    > >
    > >I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    > >almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    > >going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
    > >
    > >What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > >so we can try it out!!)

    > There was a group of four of us all broke 115kph going down from
    > Tooma res. to Khancoban. (Melways 523 D6) That's the highest
    > "speed" that I've attained but it's a mostly straight line.
    >
    > For going FAST try heading down to Tumut 2 outlet from Cabramurra.
    > On a loaded touring bike ( is there any other kind ? ) I've never been
    > much over 65 or so going down there but I've scraped front panniers,
    > hit pedals, hit my knee on the road but thankfully I've not come
    > off...:) ( um yet ) If you're going to do it on a loaded bike you need

    good
    > brakes applied HARD as late as you dare if you want to enjoy it to
    > the limit...:)
    >

    > >James
    > >

    > >--

    >115 on a heavy loaded pushy? bloody hell!!

    One must ask, at that speed with a loaded bicycle, is what would be the
    maximum speed that the tires could handle before they blow.I'd hate to see
    the consequences of a blown front tire at this speed.....but I'm sure i'll
    never get to find out.....I hope!!

    DJ
    > --
    >
    > BAH Humbug

  10. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    <head>
    </head>
    Greetings, <br>
    I have had a bike up to a computer-verified 85 k/mh on at
    least three occasions. They were at:<br>
    1. Zeehan-Strahan Rd in Tassie<br>
    2. Great Divide nth of Lancefield<br>
    3. Wooralla Rd Mt Eliza<br>
    I will admit No. 2 & 3 were cheating as I was on a tandem, but the other
    one was on a single bike. I have also hit similar speeds on a single bike
    coming down off Keelangie near Cudgewa, though I was plagued with a speed
    instability which made it scarier than the others. The single bike in question
    was fully loaded for touring, which gave some extra mass to it. <br>
    Cheers, <br>
    Ray. <br>
    JAF wrote:<br>
    <pre wrap="">--------------------------< <br></pre>

  11. gaza

    gaza Guest

    Whilst I've always ridden some type of urban pushie as a kid I'm now
    starting to get into some more serious riding on my new MTB and apart from
    the usual issues of safety by going too fast, how safe are todays bikes at
    speed.
    A couple of questions.
    1) Different bike setups...say MTB V Racer V Hybrid etc.
    2) Tyres.....what can they handle and what are they rated at.
    3) Suggested speeds on corners......in a car if I see a suggested cornering
    speed of 70k, I know I'll be OK at 75/80k, can bikes be related to suggested
    speeds?
    4) Steering and front wheel wobble....is this an issue?

  12. BAH

    BAH Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:19:21 GMT, DJ <[email protected]> Wrote :

    >One must ask

    <snip>

    >>115 on a heavy loaded pushy? bloody hell!!

    I must've packed well that morning. No weaving or wobbles just nice
    and stable - unusual for me...:)

    >One must ask, at that speed with a loaded bicycle, is what would be the
    >maximum speed that the tires could handle before they blow.I'd hate to see
    >the consequences of a blown front tire at this speed.....but I'm sure i'll
    >never get to find out.....I hope!!

    It was only after I'd slowed to a more reasonable speed I started
    to think about such things. I reckon that hitting something like a locust
    or a wasp with your face could well cause the same end result as a front
    tyre blowout. What about small, sharp stones ? None of us gave them
    any thought either. Stupid...

    That night in the Corryong pub we fervently agreed that it was a near
    on brain dead stunt that could've so easily ended in tears, or much, much
    worse. It was fun though...:)

    --

    BAH Humbug

  13. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    JAF <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    > limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    > I've been on a bike.
    >
    > I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    > almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    > going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
    >
    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)
    >
    > James

    1/ 85km/h heading west on Ferntree Gully road just after crossing
    Jells Road. It's an 80 zone with smooth surface and loads of run-off.
    The trouble is if you get in the slipstream of another vehicle: you
    end up going too fast and must apply the brake - I'm not passing cars
    at 80+ in an 80 zone.

    2/ 81km/h on the hill at the Noosa Tri (apparently the race winner
    cracked 100(!))

    Ritch.

  14. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    > JAF wrote
    > > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and

    where
    > > so we can try it out!!)

    87 down Flinders St in Yokine WA.

    My speedo once indicated 128 but I was standing still at the time. My
    Cateye cordless does that sometimes when close to a modern (electronic
    wizardry) car.

    Theo

  15. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    <...>

    > 87 down Flinders St in Yokine WA.
    >
    > My speedo once indicated 128 but I was standing still at the time. My
    > Cateye cordless does that sometimes when close to a modern (electronic
    > wizardry) car.

    Yeah, I got my speedo to show 133km/h after fiddling with the mounting of
    the magnet when I was putting it on my new bike ;-)

    Tim

  16. rickster

    rickster Guest

    "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Come and ride the Fitz's Challenge in the ACT Sunday after next. You can
    > easily clock somewhere around 95-100kph coming down Fitz's Hill. It climbs
    > 300m over 2.4km, which gives an average gradient of 12.5%, and is pretty
    > straight most of the way down - there's one bend about half a kilometre from
    > the bottom where you need to slow to 75 but otherwise just let it rip. I
    > have a chart taken off an altimeter speedo from last year's ride at
    > http://www.tip.net.au/~njpayne/bikestuff/fitz/.

    Ummm....ouch !!

  17. roofi

    roofi Guest

    86.1 kmh

    Noosa Triathlon

    Softride Powerwing http://www.ravens.net/cycleworks/images/soft2.gif
    Zipp Wheels

    Interesting phenomenon with deep dish wheels at speed. The force required to
    turn L/R is substantial at that speed...

    Regularly see 70+ down Oliver's

  18. On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:15:01 +0950, JAF wrote:

    > That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    > limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    > I've been on a bike.
    >
    > I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    > almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    > going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
    >
    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)
    >
    > James

    89hm/h down Waverley Road, from the roundabout at the Police Academy towards
    Jells Park.

    phillip brown

  19. Jock

    Jock Guest

    85k's F3 Mt Colah heading south and 85k's on the North Sydney exit dipper
    off the Warringah expressway heading south. 53/12 flat nacker & tuck.
    Frequently 75 k's over Pymble rail bridge bend. Then there's the 70k's
    double blowout (gravelly rock) on the Hawkesbury hill (F3) going south ....
    700 x 19C Conti's are too skinny for the road I am afraid!
    Jock

    "JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
    > limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
    > I've been on a bike.
    >
    > I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
    > almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
    > going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
    >
    > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
    > so we can try it out!!)
    >
    > James

  20. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Hit 84km/h in last year's Mont 24hr....was on the part where they deemed the
    bike trail too dangerous and you went on the road for a km or so of
    downhill. It was at about 2am, pitch black, and I managed to get on the
    wheel of one of the guys in the silver Cannondale sponsered gear......Good
    rush......was about a foot or so behind him.....nearly didn't make the big
    sweeping left hander onto the gravel at the bottom.

    Also, many years ago in Brisbane (1992) I hit 94km/h on a hill (can't
    remember name of road) in fairly close to the city that connected to the
    Freeway that heads towards Toowomba. They have since taken a big chunk from
    the top of the hill and built it up at the bottom as too many trucks were
    stalling half way up. I can remember waiting for weeks to get the wind
    blowing in the right direction to hopefully hit the ton but I didn't quite
    get there. I was on a crappy old steel racer with old style cantilever
    brakes and I nearly didn't make the turn at the oval shaped roundabout at
    the bottom.

    Gags