Fastest you've gone....

I didn't do it, but ... Terrys Ave? - that near vertical street on the
left as you get into Belgrave. It's about 1:4. Very steep. 50 km/h
limit. 100 to 140 km/h guaranteed without pedalling. Only problem is
that there's a roundabout at the bottom and heavy traffic on Burwood
Hwy. You have to plan on going through the roundabout at about 80 to
100 and hope there's no traffic. Probably not a good idea.

Regards,
Richard.

> 85k's F3 Mt Colah heading south and 85k's on the North Sydney exit dipper
> off the Warringah expressway heading south. 53/12 flat nacker & tuck.
> Frequently 75 k's over Pymble rail bridge bend. Then there's the 70k's
> double blowout (gravelly rock) on the Hawkesbury hill (F3) going south

> 700 x 19C Conti's are too skinny for the road I am afraid!
> Jock

You also get a good speed 80+ going down mona vale road heading to the
pacific highway at the 3M building. I used to do the f3 but the traffic
noise is awful. Much nicer doing to old highway. I love that road.

Pete

Point 3 below. My experience shows that bicycles can go through corners at
the advisory sign limit. Last weekend there were plenty of conrners out
near sassafras that were easily taken at the yellow speed sign pace.

"gaza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whilst I've always ridden some type of urban pushie as a kid I'm now
> starting to get into some more serious riding on my new MTB and apart from
> the usual issues of safety by going too fast, how safe are todays bikes at
> speed.
> A couple of questions.
> 1) Different bike setups...say MTB V Racer V Hybrid etc.
> 2) Tyres.....what can they handle and what are they rated at.
> 3) Suggested speeds on corners......in a car if I see a suggested

cornering
> speed of 70k, I know I'll be OK at 75/80k, can bikes be related to

suggested
> speeds?
> 4) Steering and front wheel wobble....is this an issue?

Greetings,
Too many obstructions, chicanes, curves, and the final
run to the roundabout is too short and dangerous to pick up any real
speed. You could try Mast Gully Rd in Tecoma, but that has the same
problems. I have once come off Mt Donna Buang, 17 km downhill in 17
minutes, but that was pretty hairy.
Regards,
Ray.

Richard Sherratt wrote:

>I didn't do it, but ... Terrys Ave? - that near vertical street on the
>left as you get into Belgrave. It's about 1:4. Very steep. 50 km/h
>limit. 100 to 140 km/h guaranteed without pedalling. Only problem is
>that there's a roundabout at the bottom and heavy traffic on Burwood
>Hwy. You have to plan on going through the roundabout at about 80 to
>100 and hope there's no traffic. Probably not a good idea.
>
>Regards,
>Richard.

If any of you get out to Moe, there is a bloody steep hill out the back of
the Wirraway St. extension. After school for a few weeks waaay back in 1990
my mates and I would have speed comps down it. It is 80m worth of hill with
a 200m run off. The most I got up to was 82...one of my friends got up to
92.

It was a stuggle getting up it in 42x23.

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > 85k's F3 Mt Colah heading south and 85k's on the North Sydney exit

dipper
> > off the Warringah expressway heading south. 53/12 flat nacker & tuck.
> > Frequently 75 k's over Pymble rail bridge bend. Then there's the 70k's
> > double blowout (gravelly rock) on the Hawkesbury hill (F3) going south

> > 700 x 19C Conti's are too skinny for the road I am afraid!
> > Jock

> You also get a good speed 80+ going down mona vale road heading to the
> pacific highway at the 3M building. I used to do the f3 but the traffic
> noise is awful. Much nicer doing to old highway. I love that road.
>
> Pete

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
> so we can try it out!!)

Not the fastest, but my most sustained high speed run was out north of
Melbourne on the 'Pleurisy Plains'. Lancefield to the Sunbury Rd junction,
36 kms in 35 minutes gave us an average 61.7 kmh. Pretty happy on this flat,
very gentle descent. The roaring northerly may have played a role :)

Otherwise try the descent into Lancefield from the Great Divide - 83kmh
tailing a tandem.

Or the Gordon Spur between Marysville and Narbethong - also 83kmh (later saw
the remains of some poor guy's front wheel, having blown out a tattered
single on the same descent. He was a hospital case)

Cheers
Peter

> Or the Gordon Spur between Marysville and Narbethong - also 83kmh (later

saw
> the remains of some poor guy's front wheel, having blown out a tattered
> single on the same descent. He was a hospital case)

one word... Ouch.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 07:54:38 +1000, Ray Peace <[email protected]>
wrote:

[Terrys Ave, Belgrave]

>Greetings,
> Too many obstructions, chicanes, curves, and the final
>run to the roundabout is too short and dangerous to pick up any real
>speed.

Could be. I haven't been up that way for about 10 or 12 years, but I
used to ride up to Belgrave a lot when I lived in Knox. I remember
looking up to the left as I was getting close to the roundabout and
thinking that you could get a good speed up there.

If you hang a right at the roundabout and head towards Narre Warren,
there's a hill just as you're leaving Belgrave where I got up to 77
km/h without pedalling in about 1989 or 90. This was on the way back
towards Belgrave in a Knox Bicycle Touring Club "Hard 100". (Miles,
that is.) I had nothing left after cresting the hill before, so I just
let her roll.

Regards,
Richard.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:39:56 +1000, "Peter Signorini"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
>> so we can try it out!!)

>Not the fastest, but my most sustained high speed run was out north of
>Melbourne on the 'Pleurisy Plains'. Lancefield to the Sunbury Rd junction,
>36 kms in 35 minutes gave us an average 61.7 kmh. Pretty happy on this flat,
>very gentle descent. The roaring northerly may have played a role :)
>
>Otherwise try the descent into Lancefield from the Great Divide - 83kmh
>tailing a tandem.
>
>Or the Gordon Spur between Marysville and Narbethong - also 83kmh (later saw
>the remains of some poor guy's front wheel, having blown out a tattered
>single on the same descent. He was a hospital case)

What would have caused such a blowout- a sharp object or something?
>Cheers
>Peter

I convert the kph to mph and then back again - eg if the sign says 25kph, I
say "that really means 25mph which is 40kph, so I can safely take the corner
at 40". I've talked to several motorcyclists about this and they do exactly
the same...

Nick

Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>JAF wrote
>>
>>>What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and

> where
>
>>>so we can try it out!!)

> 87 down Flinders St in Yokine WA.
>
> My speedo once indicated 128 but I was standing still at the time. My
> Cateye cordless does that sometimes when close to a modern (electronic
> wizardry) car.
>
> Theo

83 down the old freeway from eagle on the hill. But I am fat you may not be.
My old mity 3 showed 473kph after the wire got chewed up between the
brake pad and the rim.
My new astrale 8 showed 120kph on my usually 60kph hill. Realised I
still had the old magent on as well as the new one.

--
Cheers
Damian Harvey

This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote,
plug for own business in caps and large, bad ASCII art.

The Noosa triathlon course has a great downhill.

I got to 83km/hr - and I only weight 61kg. One of my mates who weighs 110kg got
up to 87km/hr. the professional race winner (I guess he wold have the advantage
of some wind tunnel testing) got over 100.

Paul

Paulus wrote:

> If any of you get out to Moe, there is a bloody steep hill out the back of
> the Wirraway St. extension. After school for a few weeks waaay back in 1990
> my mates and I would have speed comps down it. It is 80m worth of hill with
> a 200m run off. The most I got up to was 82...one of my friends got up to
> 92.
>
> It was a stuggle getting up it in 42x23.

> "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > 85k's F3 Mt Colah heading south and 85k's on the North Sydney exit

> dipper
> > > off the Warringah expressway heading south. 53/12 flat nacker & tuck.
> > > Frequently 75 k's over Pymble rail bridge bend. Then there's the 70k's
> > > double blowout (gravelly rock) on the Hawkesbury hill (F3) going south

> > > 700 x 19C Conti's are too skinny for the road I am afraid!
> > > Jock

> > You also get a good speed 80+ going down mona vale road heading to the
> > pacific highway at the 3M building. I used to do the f3 but the traffic
> > noise is awful. Much nicer doing to old highway. I love that road.
> >
> > Pete

"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:39:56 +1000, "Peter Signorini"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Or the Gordon Spur between Marysville and Narbethong - also 83kmh (later

saw
> >the remains of some poor guy's front wheel, having blown out a tattered
> >single on the same descent. He was a hospital case)
> >

> What would have caused such a blowout- a sharp object or something?

Don't know exactly but we were all stunned by the _very worn_ high-pressure
single on his front wheel that had blown out, and the brand new single
strapped under his saddle. If he'd have ditched that old tyre before the
ride he would've been OK.

Cheers
Peter

In article <[email protected]> Thu, 16 Oct 2003
21:50:05 +1000 [email protected]et (BAH) wrote:

[..]

>For going FAST try heading down to Tumut 2 outlet from Cabramurra.

[..]

I've done it in a car. Got the front disks red hot...

David

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:06:04 +1000, David S. Maddison <[email protected]> Wrote :
>In article <[email protected]> Thu, 16 Oct 2003
>21:50:05 +1000 [email protected]et (BAH) wrote:
>
>[..]
>
>>For going FAST try heading down to Tumut 2 outlet from Cabramurra.

>[..]
>
>I've done it in a car. Got the front disks red hot...

Ahh, then you appreciate the fun, and disaster, potential on
a bike...:)

--

BAH Humbug

SWomeone wrote:

> >One must ask, at that speed [115 km/h] with a loaded bicycle,
> >is what would be the maximum speed that the tires
> >could handle before they blow.I'd hate to see the consequences
> >of a blown front tire at this speed.....but I'm sure i'll
> >never get to find out.....I hope!!

Strictly speaking, tires can support 115 km/h without problem, and they
won't blow because of speed. They may blow up if you drag the brakes a long
time and overheat the rims (and tires), or because of a sharp object, or...
And at such a speed, you'd better be good at controlling the bike.

Regards,

--

Michel Gagnon

JAF wrote:
> That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed
> limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest
> I've been on a bike.
> I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although
> almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back
> going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
> What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where
> so we can try it out!!)
> James

managed (only) 58km/h coming down the Westgate Bridge on the ATB. It's a
record for me - as I get older I feel less invulnerable! I was ******
off that I didn't break the speed limit, but I did pass plenty of cars
tryingjavascript:smilie(':cool:')

--
Regards Michael

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

http://www.cyclingforums.com

John Doe wrote:
> > 85k's F3 Mt Colah heading south and 85k's on the North Sydney exit
> > dipper off the Warringah expressway heading south. 53/12 flat nacker &
> > tuck. Frequently 75 k's over Pymble rail bridge bend. Then there's the
> > 70k's double blowout (gravelly rock) on the Hawkesbury hill
> > (F3) going south

> > 700 x 19C Conti's are too skinny for the road I am afraid! Jock

> You also get a good speed 80+ going down mona vale road heading to the
> pacific highway at the 3M building. I used to do the f3 but the traffic
> noise is awful. Much nicer doing to old highway. I love that road.
> Pete

what speed do you maintain up the hill after the pacific highway
overpass. i always struggle up there