Fastest you've gone....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAF

Sep 4, 2003
That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk record) got me thinking about the fastest I've been on a bike.

I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although almost died getting up it!). Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.

What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where so we can try it out!!)

James

In article <[email protected]>, JAF wrote:

> What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where so we can try it out!!)
>
> James

77 through the cutting in Ivanhoe/Heidelberg, Use to sprint through here 3 time a week after work,
almost had a nasty crash when a booze bus was parked in the LH lane just after the curve at the
bottom of the hill.

--
| Joel Mayes | Come and see me play! Accordionist | 2traverse Musician | Sept 25 - Oct 12 @ the
| Store Room Music Teacher | cos` co tworzy jakby mapy na mojej sko`rze

In article <[email protected]>,
JAF <[email protected]> wrote:

> What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where so we can try it out!!)

83km/h on a dually MTB, down a hill (obviously) in Rankin Park, Newcastle.

--
Heath

On 16 Oct 2003 20:15:01 +0950, JAF <[email protected]> Wrote :
>That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk
>record) got me thinking about the fastest I've been on a bike.
>
>I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although almost died getting up it!).
>Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
>
>What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where so we can try it out!!)

There was a group of four of us all broke 115kph going down from Tooma res. to Khancoban. (Melways
523 D6) That's the highest "speed" that I've attained but it's a mostly straight line.

For going FAST try heading down to Tumut 2 outlet from Cabramurra. On a loaded touring bike ( is
there any other kind ? ) I've never been much over 65 or so going down there but I've scraped front
panniers, hit pedals, hit my knee on the road but thankfully I've not come off...:) ( um yet ) If
you're going to do it on a loaded bike you need good brakes applied HARD as late as you dare if you
want to enjoy it to the limit...:)

>
>James
>
>
>
>--
>>--------------------------<
>Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

--

BAH Humbug

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <...>
>

72km/h going down Glen Iris Rd (Melbourne) from Toorak Rd.

I don't get out to real hills very often!

Tim

JAF wrote:
>
> That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed limit (and Hippy's Guiness
> bk record) got me thinking about the fastest I've been on a bike.

87 kph, in a drop-tuck, down the big hill eastward into Apollo Bay (Victoria) with a howling
tail-wind, day 3 of 4 touring the Great Ocean Road with my l'il sister, 1995. Me on a (heavy, heavy)
1993 GT Karakoram with retrofitted drop bars, and 2 full bidons and a full rack-top bag and no
panniers; she was riding her road bike with an over-stuffed day-pack, which thankfully meant she
couldn't go so fast as
me. I think at some stage I called back to her (having micro-PTSD-flashbacks), "Jen, please just
ride down at your own pace, don't follow meeeee..... wheeeeeee!"

I'm sure Melb to Warnambool riders have gone much faster, even tho it's the opposite direction
>
> I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although almost died getting up it!).
> Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
>
>
> James
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

"JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed limit (and Hippy's Guiness
>
> I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although almost died getting up it!).
> Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
>
>
96 km/h coming back down Fitz's Hill during the Canberra Two Day Tour about 12 years ago. It was
somewhat terrifying, especially when a) a guy near me went off into the dirt on the LHS (somehow he
saved it), b) a car came up the other direction, and c) there was a cattle grid at the bottom.
However we didn't care as we were chasing the main bunch that we'd been dropped from on the way up
the damn hill. We caught them, shortly after the bottom :)

Jeff

Come and ride the Fitz's Challenge in the ACT Sunday after next. You can easily clock somewhere
around 95-100kph coming down Fitz's Hill. It climbs 300m over 2.4km, which gives an average gradient
of 12.5%, and is pretty straight most of the way down - there's one bend about half a kilometre from
the bottom where you need to slow to 75 but otherwise just let it rip. I have a chart taken off an
altimeter speedo from last year's ride at http://www.tip.net.au/~njpayne/bikestuff/fitz/.

Nick

>

One must ask "BAH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 16 Oct 2003 20:15:01 +0950, JAF <[email protected]> Wrote
:
> >That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed limit (and Hippy's Guiness
> >bk record) got me thinking about the fastest I've been on a bike.
> >
> >I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although almost died getting up it!).
> >Also got to about 79 k/ph a few years back going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.
> >
> >What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where so we can try it out!!)
>
> There was a group of four of us all broke 115kph going down from Tooma res. to Khancoban. (Melways
> 523 D6) That's the highest "speed" that I've attained but it's a mostly straight line.
>
> For going FAST try heading down to Tumut 2 outlet from Cabramurra. On a loaded touring bike ( is
> there any other kind ? ) I've never been much over 65 or so going down there but I've scraped
> front panniers, hit pedals, hit my knee on the road but thankfully I've not come off...:) ( um
> yet ) If you're going to do it on a loaded bike you need
good
> brakes applied HARD as late as you dare if you want to enjoy it to the limit...:)
>
> >
> >James
> >
> >
> >
> >--
> >>--------------------------<
> >Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
>
>115 on a heavy loaded pushy? ***********!!

One must ask, at that speed with a loaded bicycle, is what would be the maximum speed that the tires
could handle before they blow.I'd hate to see the consequences of a blown front tire at this
speed.....but I'm sure i'll never get to find out.....I hope!!

DJ
> --
>
> BAH Humbug

Whilst I've always ridden some type of urban pushie as a kid I'm now starting to get into some more
serious riding on my new MTB and apart from the usual issues of safety by going too fast, how safe
are todays bikes at speed. A couple of questions.
1) Different bike setups...say MTB V Racer V Hybrid etc.
2) Tyres.....what can they handle and what are they rated at.
3) Suggested speeds on corners......in a car if I see a suggested cornering speed of 70k, I know
I'll be OK at 75/80k, can bikes be related to suggested speeds?
4) Steering and front wheel wobble....is this an issue?

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:19:21 GMT, DJ <[email protected]> Wrote :
>
>
>One must ask

<snip>

>>
>>115 on a heavy loaded pushy? ***********!!

I must've packed well that morning. No weaving or wobbles just nice and stable - unusual
for me...:)

>
>One must ask, at that speed with a loaded bicycle, is what would be the maximum speed that the
>tires could handle before they blow.I'd hate to see the consequences of a blown front tire at this
>speed.....but I'm sure i'll never get to find out.....I hope!!

It was only after I'd slowed to a more reasonable speed I started to think about such things. I
reckon that hitting something like a locust or a wasp with your face could well cause the same end
result as a front tyre blowout. What about small, sharp stones ? None of us gave them any thought
either. Stupid...

That night in the Corryong pub we fervently agreed that it was a near on brain dead stunt that
could've so easily ended in tears, or much, much worse. It was fun though...:)

--

BAH Humbug

JAF <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>
>
> James

1/ 85km/h heading west on Ferntree Gully road just after crossing Jells Road. It's an 80 zone
with smooth surface and loads of run-off. The trouble is if you get in the slipstream of
another vehicle: you end up going too fast and must apply the brake - I'm not passing cars at
80+ in an 80 zone.

2/ 81km/h on the hill at the Noosa Tri (apparently the race winner cracked 100(!))

Ritch.

> JAF wrote
> > What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and
where
> > so we can try it out!!)

87 down Flinders St in Yokine WA.

My speedo once indicated 128 but I was standing still at the time. My Cateye cordless does that
sometimes when close to a modern (electronic wizardry) car.

Theo

"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Come and ride the Fitz's Challenge in the ACT Sunday after next. You can easily clock somewhere
> around 95-100kph coming down Fitz's Hill. It climbs 300m over 2.4km, which gives an average
> gradient of 12.5%, and is pretty straight most of the way down - there's one bend about half a
> kilometre from the bottom where you need to slow to 75 but otherwise just let it rip. I have a
> chart taken off an altimeter speedo from last year's ride at
> http://www.tip.net.au/~njpayne/bikestuff/fitz/.
>
>

Ummm....ouch !!

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<...>

> 87 down Flinders St in Yokine WA.
>
> My speedo once indicated 128 but I was standing still at the time. My Cateye cordless does that
> sometimes when close to a modern (electronic wizardry) car.
>

Yeah, I got my speedo to show 133km/h after fiddling with the mounting of the magnet when I was
putting it on my new bike ;-)

Tim

86.1 kmh

Noosa Triathlon

Softride Powerwing http://www.ravens.net/cycleworks/images/soft2.gif Zipp Wheels

Interesting phenomenon with deep dish wheels at speed. The force required to turn L/R is substantial
at that speed...

Regularly see 70+ down Oliver's

That other post about the consequences of doing 23k/ph over the speed limit (and Hippy's Guiness bk
record) got me thinking about the fastest I've been on a bike.

I got to 77 k/ph going down Oliver's Hill the other week (although almost died getting up it!). Also
got to about 79 k/ph a few years back going down Rankin rd a.k.a Piggy Hill in FTG.

What's the fastest everyone here has been able do on a bike - (and where so we can try it out!!)

James

--
>--------------------------<
Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:15:01 +0950, JAF wrote:

>
>
>
> James
>
>
>
> --
>>--------------------------<

89hm/h down Waverley Road, from the roundabout at the Police Academy towards Jells Park.

phillip brown

85k's F3 Mt Colah heading south and 85k's on the North Sydney exit dipper off the Warringah
expressway heading south. 53/12 flat nacker & tuck. Frequently 75 k's over Pymble rail bridge bend.
Then there's the 70k's double blowout (gravelly rock) on the Hawkesbury hill (F3) going south ....
700 x 19C Conti's are too skinny for the road I am afraid! Jock

>
>
>
> James
>
>
>
> --

Hit 84km/h in last year's Mont 24hr....was on the part where they deemed the bike trail too
dangerous and you went on the road for a km or so of downhill. It was at about 2am, pitch black, and
I managed to get on the wheel of one of the guys in the silver Cannondale sponsered gear......Good
rush......was about a foot or so behind him.....nearly didn't make the big sweeping left hander onto
the gravel at the bottom.

Also, many years ago in Brisbane (1992) I hit 94km/h on a hill (can't remember name of road) in
fairly close to the city that connected to the Freeway that heads towards Toowomba. They have since
taken a big chunk from the top of the hill and built it up at the bottom as too many trucks were
stalling half way up. I can remember waiting for weeks to get the wind blowing in the right
direction to hopefully hit the ton but I didn't quite get there. I was on a crappy old steel racer
with old style cantilever brakes and I nearly didn't make the turn at the oval shaped roundabout at
the bottom.

Gags "JAF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>
>
> James
>
>
>
> --

I didn't do it, but ... Terrys Ave? - that near vertical street on the left as you get into
Belgrave. It's about 1:4. Very steep. 50 km/h
limit. 100 to 140 km/h guaranteed without pedalling. Only problem is that there's a roundabout at
the bottom and heavy traffic on Burwood Hwy. You have to plan on going through the roundabout
at about 80 to 100 and hope there's no traffic. Probably not a good idea.

Regards, Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.