Fasting During Ramadan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeo

Aug 4, 2003
This is my second year of being a Muslim, but I only lasted two and a half days without eating or drinking during last year's Ramadan. Obviously I would like to do better this time around. For those who do not know the requirement is to not eat or drink during daylight hours during the month. Can anyone offer suggestions in terms of nutrition after sundown to help me keep my commute? I'm a librarian by day and have a 20 minute commute by bike each way so my day job doesn't take lots and lots of energy, but the commute takes a bit. I normally double the route to get in more miles, but during Ramadan I think I'll keep it to a minimum. I'm also a egg, milk product, and once a month or so fish eating vegetarian.

Thanks,
Jeo

This forum should be about bikes and nutrition, NOT ABOUT YOUR RELIGIOUS PROBLEMS. So ask one of your fellow terrorist and dont bother us cyclist with your religious problems.

jeo said:
This is my second year of being a Muslim, but I only lasted two and a half days without eating or drinking during last year's Ramadan. Obviously I would like to do better this time around. For those who do not know the requirement is to not eat or drink during daylight hours during the month. Can anyone offer suggestions in terms of nutrition after sundown to help me keep my commute? I'm a librarian by day and have a 20 minute commute by bike each way so my day job doesn't take lots and lots of energy, but the commute takes a bit. I normally double the route to get in more miles, but during Ramadan I think I'll keep it to a minimum. I'm also a egg, milk product, and once a month or so fish eating vegetarian.

Thanks,
Jeo

I like your sense of humor. ;-)

Since this is a question about nutrition, i.e. the lack of, I'd say the nutrition forum is the proper place for this. The big thing is that I'd like to avoid is losing my hard earned muscle at the end of the racing season.

Thanks,
Jeo

jeo said:
I like your sense of humor. ;-)

Since this is a question about nutrition, i.e. the lack of, I'd say the nutrition forum is the proper place for this. The big thing is that I'd like to avoid is losing my hard earned muscle at the end of the racing season.

Thanks,
Jeo

Nothing to worry about becuse you don't gain muscle from a race season. so go ahead and put your self though the agony.
:rolleyes:

C'mon, I'm trying to help my poor Muslim brother out! And if you can't find any pork, try shellfish.(lobster, shrimp, etc)

Um...are there any mods at work here? Is the ignorant assholery on display in this thread really to be given a pass?

I'd shoot down the reactionary bigotry of the first few responses, but the fact that these people made them suggests that they are either a) rightwing ideologues; or b) suffering an acute brain cell shortage, meaning that, either way, the effort would be wasted.

I, for one, would have been interested to read intelligent responses to the issue raised by jeo. Anyone?

rousseau said:
Um...are there any mods at work here? Is the ignorant assholery on display in this thread really to be given a pass?

I'd shoot down the reactionary bigotry of the first few responses, but the fact that these people made them suggests that they are either a) rightwing ideologues; or b) suffering an acute brain cell shortage, meaning that, either way, the effort would be wasted.

I, for one, would have been interested to read intelligent responses to the issue raised by jeo. Anyone?

Both my middle fingers in the air................. i agree with Bubble.

Pork as now being sold, is much leaner than in the past. It's the "other white meat."

So making a little joke is "ignorant assholery" but a religion that preaches "join or die" gets a free pass? Who is ignorant?

rousseau said:

I'm with you, Rouseau. Jeo asked a perfectly decent question. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be able to help Jeo with answers as I tend to stay away from any form of fasting. It's amazing to see how quickly the bigots jump in, though. I guess they have a different understanding of the word 'tolerance', or just don't possess that quality at all.

So a guy posts a cycling question dealing with fasting during Ramadan, and is met with vitriol and lame jokes? What kind of community is this?

Never mind answering the rhetorical question. You've made that quite clear.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that I'll not bother frequenting this forum any longer.

rousseau said:
So a guy posts a cycling question dealing with fasting during Ramadan, and is met with vitriol and lame jokes? What kind of community is this?

Never mind answering the rhetorical question. You've made that quite clear.

I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that I'll not bother frequenting this forum any longer.

Dont be such a sissy. If someone asked what would be the best cake to leave out for Father Christmas and was serious then there would be a few cheeky posts to that.

All religions sound silly when you dont follow them lets face it and thats because they all are. You cant criticise people for thinking fasting, when it is clearly having an adverse affect on someones health, is a stupid thing to do when they are doing it because it says so in some book written by men who didn't even know the earth was round or we go around the sun or anything...

I'm not just picking on muslims I think christians and jews in fact every religious person is weak willed because they have to believe in something as nice as heaven just so they can make it through their pointless little lives. I'm not saying I'm superior and that my life isn't miserable and little but I just dont have to believe there is something nice at the end of it to bother getting out of bed in the morning.

In fact I am so confused as to how people can shut off their common sense when it comes to religion. Its crazy stuff. Why cant you take that when you die you die?

i cannot believe no one has any respect. Don't you people have children. what the hell kind of values are you teaching them? Isn't racism bad enough? what the hell is the matter with you people. you can all raise little hilters if you want, but i will make sure to tell my son to beat the **** out of any sniveling racist he sees. and ill help him beat the **** out of your racist and ignorant family. in fact, we'll both go burn down your house. that's what i'll teach my kids. im sure yours will be much safer without YOU ALIVE.

jeo said:

Thanks,
Jeo
There's was a great article in Bicycling Magazine: "Eater's Digest: Finally a No-Nonsesne Guide to Cycling Nutrition." in the Mar 1991 issue written by V. DeMoss. I found it on an online magazine database called EbscoHost that my public library makes available to library patrons. It might also be available on the mag's website,
www.bicycling.com
I found it very helpful. Good luck.

Asian Allez said:
i cannot believe no one has any respect. Don't you people have children. what the hell kind of values are you teaching them? Isn't racism bad enough? what the hell is the matter with you people. you can all raise little hilters if you want, but i will make sure to tell my son to beat the **** out of any sniveling racist he sees. and ill help him beat the **** out of your racist and ignorant family. in fact, we'll both go burn down your house. that's what i'll teach my kids. im sure yours will be much safer without YOU ALIVE.

You make no sense asshole, just read what you just wrote!!!! what a **** you are.

jeo said:

Thanks,
Jeo

My understanding of feasting during Ramadan is that you can only eat between sundown and sunrise and are required to feast during daylight hours.

If I had to select a supplement for "loading", I would suggest that you resort to the cyclists staple diet of pasta with whatever meat supplement is permissable with your belief (chicken ???).
A good source of energy is currant cake, banana's.
You could also try carbo-loading with bread as well.

I think you are correct though to try to minimise cycling during Ramadan given that you cannot take on food during the time period of your commute.
Maybe you could substitute walking for your commute rather than biking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.