Fastway couriers space cadets

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by suzyj, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    0
    <vent>

    So I bought a frame on ebay. The seller sends it via courier (fastway couriers) on the 18th July. All well and good, as I had a couple of weeks off work to watch le tour and was home the whole time.

    On the 24th, I was getting a little concerned, as it hadn't shown up. Send a message to sender. No response.

    Repeat the message on the 27th, with a note that I'll report to ebay as item not received on monday (31st). Still no response on 31st, so click the "item not received" link on ebay.

    Sender finally deigns to respond, and gives me a tracking number. I call courier company, and they claim they tried to deliver on the 20th (I was definately here the whole day), and left a note (what note?). Hmmmm...

    They say they'll deliver today, so I take today off. Still nothing.

    Ring them up and they claim they have no record of a request to redeliver, and give me the drivers mobile number. I call him, and he says it's gone back to Melbourne. At this point panic sets in.

    Another call to the company, and now they say they've actually got it in the depot, and they'll deliver it tomorrow. They refuse to deliver it to my work, so I've got to waste _another_ day waiting for it.

    I am _so_ pissed off. What a bunch of fsking amateurs. Assuming they actually do deliver the bloody thing tomorrow, I'll have wasted two days waiting for it.

    </vent>
     
    Tags:


  2. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    Messages:
    815
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've had simmilar experiences with couriers who can't be bothered to get off their lazy arses.

    A few times now, I've waited at home all day, only to find a card in my letter-box claiming they tried to deliver it and I need to arrange collection.

    Lesson - couriers are lazy bastards.

    Scotty

     
  3. matagi

    matagi Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Messages:
    8,220
    Likes Received:
    144
    One advantage (?) of living in a rural area is that couriers hate driving all the way out to deliver stuff. So if they actually read the special instructions which always say "ring before delivering" and you say to them "I'll pick it up from the depot", they're really happy with that. Works a treat.

    Unfortunately, regardless of location, the IQ of the average courier is pretty low. So if they are stupid enough to drive out to our place and waste all that time and petrol without ringing to check that we are actually home, that's their bad luck.
     
  4. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ring the courier company. Arrange to collect it from the depot. Ring 'em again just before you get in your car to make sure it is still in the depot and hasn't been loaded on a truck again. Safest way. Has always worked for me. For some things (like complete bikes), I have the sender mark on the box that it is to be collected from the depot with my number to call.

    good luck,

    SteveA
     
  5. Travis

    Travis Guest

    scotty72 wrote:
    > I've had simmilar experiences with couriers who can't be bothered to get
    > off their lazy arses.
    >
    > A few times now, I've waited at home all day, only to find a card in my
    > letter-box claiming they tried to deliver it and I need to arrange
    > collection.
    >
    > Lesson - couriers are lazy bastards.


    Same here. The last four times I have ordered something from Torpedo7
    or Probikekit, the courier has simply left a card in my letterbox. I
    was home on all of those days and I have an annoyingly loud and
    persistent doorbell which is impossible to miss.

    Its not the fault of the bike shops of course, but I've had both
    companies add "special delivery instructions" to my packages to the
    effect of "please ring the bell to make sure I'm home before leaving
    the card in the letterbox".

    We shouldn't have to give that as a special instruction, but
    unfortunately we do.

    Travis
     
  6. In aus.bicycle on 2 Aug 2006 00:23:25 -0700
    Travis <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > We shouldn't have to give that as a special instruction, but
    > unfortunately we do.


    I had one who apparently couldn't locate the Optus building in North
    Sydney.

    Sydneysiders will know it. It's the brown skyscraper that's just
    about the tallest thing for miles, with "optus" in really large
    letters.

    At least the dispatcher had the grace to sound sheepish.

    Zebee
     
  7. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    Messages:
    490
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have a big sign next to my doorbell saying 'please ring doorbell', with an arrow. It has greatly reduced the number of couriers who knock once then run away.
     
  8. suzyj wrote:
    > <vent>
    >
    > So I bought a frame on ebay. The seller sends it via courier (fastway
    > couriers) on the 18th July. All well and good, as I had a couple of
    > weeks off work to watch le tour and was home the whole time.
    >
    > On the 24th, I was getting a little concerned, as it hadn't shown up.
    > Send a message to sender. No response.
    >
    > Repeat the message on the 27th, with a note that I'll report to ebay as
    > item not received on monday (31st). Still no response on 31st, so click
    > the "item not received" link on ebay.
    >
    > Sender finally deigns to respond, and gives me a tracking number. I
    > call courier company, and they claim they tried to deliver on the 20th
    > (I was definately here the whole day), and left a note (what note?).
    > Hmmmm...
    >
    > They say they'll deliver today, so I take today off. Still nothing.
    >
    > Ring them up and they claim they have no record of a request to
    > redeliver, and give me the drivers mobile number. I call him, and he
    > says it's gone back to Melbourne. At this point panic sets in.
    >
    > Another call to the company, and now they say they've actually got it
    > in the depot, and they'll deliver it tomorrow. They refuse to deliver
    > it to my work, so I've got to waste _another_ day waiting for it.
    >
    > I am _so_ pissed off. What a bunch of fsking amateurs. Assuming they
    > actually do deliver the bloody thing tomorrow, I'll have wasted two
    > days waiting for it.
    >
    > </vent>
    >
    >
    > --
    > suzyj


    I thought you made your own? I thought everything else but hand-made
    steel was just so much dross? What do you want to buy one for?

    Reading below, hark at all the spoilt white-collar
    take-a-day-off-work-to-wait-for-my-latest-consumer-durable gear
    weenies! I mean, really, guys.

    Courier companies are utilising all the otherwise unemployable of our
    society, the long-haired, smelly, unwashed, undermotivated, mentally
    under-resourced worker drones that our reflexively consumptive society
    deems that it needs to engage to satisfy our increasingly rapacious
    product-oriented whims.

    I know, I used to be one. But only on a bicycle, admittedly, and only
    for a short time. But I know a few, talk to a few at work, see a few
    regularly as they deliver, and most never really look happy, or on top
    of it, or as if they have many choices in their lives, or joy in what
    they do. Which I suppose we, as gear weenies one and all, pretend that
    we do, and use our freedom and choice and disposable income to buy more
    stuff to prove it.

    How about "Oh well, it's just a new widget, I won't die if I don't get
    it this week, and the delivery guy was probably on a really tight
    schedule, working 10 hour shifts, having lifted boxes of 3rd year
    medical textbooks all day, and driven through oceans of crappy traffic
    as well, and he's not really that bright, and probably missed his
    motivational cone/medication/back massage this morning, and just wants
    to get home and see his kids. C'est la vie"

    One day, all this shuttling of stuff via the web and couriers will be a
    thing of the past, and we'll all be in our little self-sufficient
    utopic village communities, beating new chainrings out of napalm bomb
    casings, and wondering "Whatever did I see in Campagnolo Record carbon
    ErgoLevers, they don't help me fetch the milk from the dairy like my
    trusty NeoSocialist WorkBike Mk II does, it was all mere frippery and
    empty craving."

    Until then, I will be the first and greatest of all the bicycle
    hypocrites.

    MH
     
  9. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Likes Received:
    0
    Why wouldn't they deliver to your work?? Bunch of tossers..

    hippy
     
  10. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    0
    SteveA wrote:

    > Ring the courier company. Arrange to collect it from the depot.

    Only I don't have a car, so lugging a bike frame home from some industrial area in the middle of nowhere is likely to be a little difficult. If they'd send it to my work (which they'll only do if they get notice from the sender in writing, which isn't likely to happen) that would be fine, but they won't.

    Mfhor wrote:

    > Reading below, hark at all the spoilt white-collar
    > take-a-day-off-work-to-wait-for-my-latest-consumer-durable
    > gear weenies! I mean, really, guys.

    <shrug>

    If that's the way you see it, then I guess you must be right. I just don't like laziness, incompetence, and being lied to, especially when it relates to something that's as expensive as a bike frame.

    Cheers,

    Suzy
     
  11. vintage

    vintage Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > suzyj Wrote:
    > > <vent>
    > > </vent>

    >
    > Why wouldn't they deliver to your work?? Bunch of tossers..
    >
    > hippy
    >
    >
    > --
    > hippy
    >


    I had a frame shipped from Tassie last month to here in Melbourne. After 5
    days it was still in TASSIE! Only after multiple phone calls to fastway did
    it arrive 8 days later.

    They are the jokers of the courier industry it seems.

    The seller was quoted about 3 days when they picked it up. Got some wheels
    coming from Perth at the moment. Hope they didnt' use Fastway or they will
    take a month to get here :-(
     
  12. On 2006-08-02, vintage <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I had a frame shipped from Tassie last month to here in Melbourne. After 5
    > days it was still in TASSIE! Only after multiple phone calls to fastway did
    > it arrive 8 days later.
    >
    > They are the jokers of the courier industry it seems.


    Counterpoint: I ordered some camera gear from a retailer in Sydney on
    Thursday, with explicit instructions to not charge the credit card until
    Monday (as it would take that long for the funds to be available.)

    I emailed through the authorisation on Monday morning. Four or so hours
    later, the card was charged. At 9pm, I got an email confirming that the
    goods had been shipped with Fastway.

    They arrived the following afternoon.

    I'm not saying that Fastway are necessarily good. I'm just saying that
    they aren't as bad as is being made out in this thread, is all.

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@" to "usenet".
     
  13. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > SteveA wrote:
    >
    > > Ring the courier company. Arrange to collect it from the depot.

    >
    > Only I don't have a car, so lugging a bike frame home from some
    > industrial area in the middle of nowhere is likely to be a little
    > difficult. If they'd send it to my work (which they'll only do if they
    > get notice from the sender in writing, which isn't likely to happen)
    > that would be fine, but they won't.
    >
    > Mfhor wrote:
    >
    > > Reading below, hark at all the spoilt white-collar
    > > take-a-day-off-work-to-wait-for-my-latest-consumer-durable
    > > gear weenies! I mean, really, guys.

    >
    > <shrug>
    >
    > If that's the way you see it, then I guess you must be right. I just
    > don't like laziness, incompetence, and being lied to, especially when
    > it relates to something that's as expensive as a bike frame.


    Some of my IT clients are courier companies (Hippy, shush!). They're
    people, like everyone else, they have good days, bad days, things go
    wrong, people make mistakes , they have impossible deadlines to meet,
    cranky customers, cranky bosses, it's a much more difficult thing to do
    for a living than I suspect the average punter would expect ... name a
    day that you haven't made a mistake, if you can ...

    The problem is being lied to, IMO. If *I* make a mistake (and I do,
    lots!) I come clean about it. I expect the same from the people I
    interact with.
     
  14. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Messages:
    810
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've got a courier story too:

    I come home on Tuesday evening & find 5x cartons of white wine (Sav Blanc ) from Dan Murphurys on my door step delivered by Aust Postal couriers. Each box clearly has a completely different address on them, as in it's not even my street.



    So I ride up to the correct address a few blocks away leave a note on the backing board that came with some BBB brake pads I bought that night.
     
  15. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Likes Received:
    0
    Have they come & picked them up, or do you require further *assistance* to quaff, em, meant, deliver to the correct address? :D
     
  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    >
    > <vent>
    >
    > So I bought a frame on ebay. The seller sends it via courier (fastway
    > couriers) on the 18th July. All well and good, as I had a couple of
    > weeks off work to watch le tour and was home the whole time.

    <snip>
    > Another call to the company, and now they say they've actually got it
    > in the depot, and they'll deliver it tomorrow. They refuse to deliver
    > it to my work, so I've got to waste _another_ day waiting for it.
    >
    > I am _so_ pissed off. What a bunch of fsking amateurs. Assuming they
    > actually do deliver the bloody thing tomorrow, I'll have wasted two
    > days waiting for it.

    <snip>

    Toll IPEC weren't any better when I ordered my Learsport.


    T
     
  17. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Courier companies are utilising all the otherwise unemployable of our
    > society, the long-haired, smelly, unwashed, undermotivated, mentally
    > under-resourced worker drones that our reflexively consumptive society
    > deems that it needs to engage to satisfy our increasingly rapacious
    > product-oriented whims.


    It doesn't matter if they're thick, lazy and smelly, if they
    can't/won't do the job they're paid to do, they shouldn't have it [1].
    If, on the other hand, the company is the one encouraging or condoning
    shoddy work to meet unrealistic schedules, they shouldn't be given the
    custom.

    Like most things, you get what you pay for with courier services. The
    (usually) very reliable international companies (DHL, FedEx, etc.) cost
    a lot and the cheaper ones are often more hassle than they're worth.

    Graeme

    [1] For rather scarey examples of this type of worker, read this
    http://tinyurl.com/hv8ky
     
  18. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0
    Erm...yes. Doesn't work easily without a stink-mobile to get to and from the industrial area where transport depots are usually located.

    Hope they manage to get your frame to you

    SteveA
     
  19. In aus.bicycle on Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:12:43 +1000
    SteveA <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > suzyj Wrote:
    >> SteveA wrote:
    >>
    >> > Ring the courier company. Arrange to collect it from the depot.

    >>
    >> Only I don't have a car.....

    >
    > Erm...yes. Doesn't work easily without a stink-mobile to get to and
    > from the industrial area where transport depots are usually located.


    Don't you just need a trailer for your current bicycle?

    I manage Ok with a trailer for the motorcycle, although it is true I
    can usually get to the industrial areas rather more quickly on the
    motorbike than a cyclist can.

    I've been pondering one of Moz's cheapo trailers, but so far I can do
    the shopping on the bent with just panniers.

    Anyone know if those quick release skewers that need a 5 sided allen
    key to open come in size long? I prefer not to leave the bent with a
    really easily stolen wheel, and I put the lock through the front which
    is worth far more with the dynamo hub.

    Zebee
     
  20. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Likes Received:
    0
    And I reckon if I rode any of my bikes around inside the transport depots I have picked things up from, I would want a bloody big flouro flag on the bike so I didn't get pan-caked by a courier.

    Steve(been hit by a courier once already)A
     
Loading...
Loading...