Fat A** Needs a Good Bike...

mmpc001

Oct 16, 2003
Okay, I'm about 270lbs. at 5'11" and need a good mountain bike. I used to ride a lot - about 10 years ago - now the playing field is entirely different. I've been looking at both FS and hardtails. While I really like the idea of FS for a newbie like myself, I'm not sure my budget will allow me to purchase a really good one capable of supporting my weight.

My maximum budget for the bike is $1,500 but I'd obviously prefer to spend less. I plan on initially riding "easy" trails and perhaps some bike paths, but as I drop weight I'd like to be able to tackle some more technical trails too.

I was leaning towards either a Trek Fuel 90 (FS) or 6700 (hardtail) until I heard about Kona's new bikes. Evidently their "Hoss" and "Hoss Dee-Lux" are made for big people like myself and the prices are certainly doable. Who has experience with Kona bikes? For a FS rig, I like the specs and look of their "Coiler" a lot, but the price would be a monumental stretch for me.

So, any other suggestions on a beefy FS bike within my budget or a good hardtail? Thanks...

Well, I'll start with this: I am currently 255 lbs (down from a high or low depending on perspective of 305+) and 6'3". I bloated up after moving to OR from CO and didn't ride much for a few years. I abused the hell out of a Santa Cruz Heckler for about 6 years until it finally died this year. I replaced it with an '03 Heckler and could recommend one to a fellow clydesdale such as you, however the price is pretty high.

You are going to run into several issues at your weight: destroying wheels, hubs, cranks, obtaining correct spring rates, bending bars, posts, etc. Parts can be replaced fairly cheaply at the pricepoint you are looking at (and things DO break). One of the biggest "bummers" is going to be getting the suspension set-up correctly. It's not impossible to set up a Marzocchi with the correct spring rate (pre-load doesn't make up that much difference), but it is VERY pricey to have someone custom wind you springs (if you can find someone to do it). Getting the rear suspension correct at your weight is even more maddening and having a 5 or 6 inch rig with the pre-load maxed out and still having 50%-75% sag rides like ****, trust me. I wished I had a hard-tail while I was losing weight, it would have been so much less hassle and you get better components for the same price, generally.

The best idea, from my perspective having been there and still being a lot bigger than the average riders I run into, (and you already indicated you are going to) is to loose some poundage while riding a used (take a serious look at "pre-owned" bikes for now), save a few bucks over the next year or so and then drop some coin on a FS bike later. Ebay and some shops can have killer deals on bikes a year or so old and in good shape often with upgrades from OEM. Konas are OK, Norco makes a couple of good hardtails, SC Chameleons are good (I gotta throw in an SC plug), Marin is still alive and kicking butt, sort of. Ride a lot of bikes and focus on wheels, forks and cranks for now. Derailleurs are easy and cheap to upgrade later. Good luck bro and welcome back. I'm sure you'll be addicted again soon and proudly showing off hard earned skabs soon!

I'm even cutting wwwaaayyy back on the weight lifting these days to loose more pounds and hopefully ride a little closer to the skinny folks up some climbs and carve the corners a little faster on the way back down. Now that I'm not playing ball anymore I don't need the extra mass, you know? Good luck and let us know of your progress! Take care and ride well.

K.

Thanks man, great information! Due in part to your post, I've finally decided to stop BSing around with FS and go hardtail. As you said, it makes more sense at my weight and I also want the flexibility of riding a few paved bike paths, much more efficient with a hardtail. It's also all I've ever known - used to ride rigid frames so even front suspension is going to seem great for me. And if my butt starts hurting too much on the bumps, I can always get a suspension seatpost.

As for bikes, I think I'm going to go with Kona's "Hoss." It's specifically made for big folks and has decent components I can slowly upgrade as they break. Then down the road when I have more money to spend and am lighter, I'll take another look at those FS rigs.

Thanks again - I'll let you know when I get the bike and how it goes...

Any HT with all XT 8 speed, Mavic 517's can be built for under $1000 ( including LBS charge for build).

from my experience. i am around 220lbs and only started riding again after 10 yrs previous bike is a 93' Specialized Rockhopper 16" and has been hand down to my kid brother.

my new ride is a hardtail after trying out a frien full sus (bullit,blur,spider, etc..) i found out that i ride like a mad fool. it keep pogoing ;p

so get myself a 2003 Kona Scrap. Its a freeride set-up but good enuff for a big size guys like myself. since a few mths i've change a few components that eg) Chris King hubs with Sun Rynolite coz the stock broke after a few drops. headset to F.U.N.N headbanger coz the stock aheadset sx-1 started to creak and make werid noises and the BB to a Race Face Signature. Also recently change the stock Marzy EXR Comp to a 2004 Z1 Drop-Off II for the air adjustment and its stiff and flex free for my weight.

hope that give u an idea of what might broke and need replacement coz the Hoss and the Scrap looks almost the same to me.

That does give me a good idea on what thing to keep an eye on - thanks. Rather than replacing things which might break, I'm just going to ride the bike and fix/replace components as they fail.

Well, my Hoss was ordered on Monday (10/20) so I'm just EAGERLY awaiting its arrival. I'll post an update once I've had a chance to actually go on a ride...