fat and hooked

themetalman

Jun 5, 2006
hello to everyone, i am 46 and 320 lbs. i got hooked on cycling about four months ago, when i started i was 342 lbs. i am doing about 15 miles 5 to 6 times a week somedays i have alot of energy and some days i drag on.. why do i burn out somedays..

good for you! but make sure you listen to your body. if it tells you it is honestly too tired to hop in the saddle...listen to it. recovery is very important!

Find yourself a good book on nutrition, it will help you calculate how much of what you need to handle the amount of excercise your doing but still allow you to continue your weight loss. You can also find colorie intake calculators online, check some of these out http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculators.htm Good luck

Welcome to the board and I congratulate you on your choice of excercise. May you continue to find fun and success in gaining strength and reaching your weight goals while cycling.

themetalman,

I was 290 at one point as well. We tend to bonk a little earlier than our feather climbing friends. Do you find you zonk after about 60 mins if you dont eat while on the bike? When I first got back into cycling as you are I found it helped to eat at about 45 mins. Nothing substantial.. just something to help out a little.. banana whatever. I found I felt much better when I got home. I also incorporated a heart rate monitor and routine which I found very helpful for staying within the "fat burning zones" to assist. And most importantly like what others have already said also. Listen to your body.

I also found a had alot more knumbness issues with the wrists and edges of my hands due to the extra weight on the bars if you know what i mean.. a nice touring bar, decent tape and excellent gloves took care of that issue.

ta,

Congrats!!! well it takes times... If you're new to cycling or just gotten back to it...it takes sometimes to build up your "base".
If I lay off during the winter months (which I usually do) and just gotten back...it takes me anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months to get back to my base. Of course it's all relative as to ...where your "base" is... and we all have different ability and level of expectations.
So listen to your body...and keep at it.
I usually bring some gel with me on long rides. And use it accordingly. You'll have to find out about this for yourself...how much you've eaten before you ride... how long ago..etc The gel goes straight into your system and is easier to digest while you're on the bike.
And don't forget to have rest days... even when I do short distance, if it's full of hard climbs...I take it easy the next day by going to the gym to lift weights (upper body only) or just have a recovery ride...or veg out :)

But at least you're hooked into cycling and that's the key. :p

In December, I was 265 pounds. I started riding on a trainer for 20 minutes three days per week at about 10 miles per hour. Within a few weeks, I was up to 60 minutes at about 14 miles per hour. Since May, I have been riding on the road three days per week. When I started, I went 15 miles at an average pace of 12 miles per hour. On Saturday, I went 37 miles at 14 miles per hour - still slow, but I am riding a hybrid, and not a road bike. Now, I am 210 pounds on my way to 180.

At this point, even with eating a power bar and drinking gatorade, my limit is really about 34 miles. For the last three miles, I could not keep up with the group, even though I had no problems at all for the first 34 miles. Still, that is tremendous improvement for me since December.

themetalman said:
hello to everyone, i am 46 and 320 lbs. i got hooked on cycling about four months ago, when i started i was 342 lbs. i am doing about 15 miles 5 to 6 times a week somedays i have alot of energy and some days i drag on.. why do i burn out somedays..
book an appt with a biokinetist so that you can get your personal correct fat burning zones, strength and lactate zones, its one of the best ways of knowing the right way to train and achieve.

I'd say don't read too much into it. You're doing great! Even the best professional cyclists have good days and bad days. Just try to eat right, stay hydrated and keep it up. You'll start seeing more consistancy and better endurance in time. No offense to any of the other forum members who posted but you don't really need to start reading books and seeing biokinetists (whatever that is) to have good results, especially at this stage. Just try to keep it fun and be consistent. Congratulations and keep us posted on your progress.