FAT DRIVERS WORSE THAN DRINKERS

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Guest
Fat drivers 'worse' than drinkers

By Jenny Hope The Herald Sun Thursday, January 29, 2004

FAT motorists may be even more dangerous than those who have been drinking, a sleep expert
has warned.

Dr Lee Dowson said growing obesity was fuelling a rise in the disorder sleep apnoea.

The disorder causes sufferers to wake as many as 1000 times a night and is blamed for daytime
drowsiness.

Dr Dowson says it is probably already causing many road deaths, with truck drivers likely to
be affected.

Thousands of sufferers do not realise they have the condition, while others are afraid to seek
treatment in case they lose their licences.

The overweight are more prone to sleep apnoea, where muscles in the throat relax, obstructing
the airways.

Sufferers need to wake for a split second before dropping back to sleep, a pattern repeated
throughout the night.

That means they do not get the deep, refreshing sleep everyone needs.

Dr Dowson, who runs a sleep clinic at Wolverhampton's New Cross Hospital, England, said: "They are
dangerous on the road.

"If you put them on a driving simulator, they do worse than people who are intoxicated
with alcohol."

Dr Dowson said risk factors included being male and having a thick neck - fat there puts extra
pressure on the airways.

"If you think what your average heavy goods vehicle driver looks like, you can imagine this is a
massive problem," he said.

"Sleep apnoea probably accounts for many, many road deaths. Most motorway accidents involve lorries
and most lorry drivers are at risk."

Research in the United States found the reaction times of drivers with sleep disorders were equal to
or worse than those given enough vodka to take them over the drink-driving limit.

Dr Dowson said those with the disorder were also often heavy snorers.

More than one in 50 is a sufferer - two-thirds of them men - but few realise it.

GPs often misdiagnose it as exhaustion and overwork, but it can be treated successfully with a mask
through which air is pumped at night.

The British Snoring and Sleep Apnoea Association said many people were afraid to speak to their GP
because doctors had to tell the driver licensing agency, which could withdraw their licence.

But once a person has been properly treated they can lead a normal, healthy life.
- Herald Sun

More at: http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8523221%255E13762,00.html

Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

Panchaang for 8 Maagh 5104, Thursday, January 29, 2004:

Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Moksha Ritau Makar Mase Shukl Pakshe Guru Vasara Yuktayam
Bharani Nakshatr Shubh-Shukl Yog Bav-Balav Karan Ashtami-Navami Yam Tithau

Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational purposes of research and
open discussion. The contents of this post may not have been authored by, and do not
necessarily represent the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me, it
will likely not be read, considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number. o Posted for information
and discussion. Views expressed by others are not necessarily those of the poster.

"Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fat drivers 'worse' than drinkers
>
> By Jenny Hope The Herald Sun Thursday, January 29, 2004
>
> FAT motorists may be even more dangerous than those who have been drinking, a sleep expert
> has warned.
>
> Dr Lee Dowson said growing obesity was fuelling a rise in the disorder sleep apnoea.

If fat people ate halal meat, this problem could be less severe.

"harmony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:health-
> [email protected]...
> > Fat drivers 'worse' than drinkers
> >
> > By Jenny Hope The Herald Sun Thursday, January 29, 2004
> >
> > FAT motorists may be even more dangerous than those who have been drinking, a sleep expert has
> > warned.
> >
> > Dr Lee Dowson said growing obesity was fuelling a rise in the disorder sleep apnoea.
> >

> If fat people ate halal meat, this problem could be less severe.

i meant did not.

In article <[email protected]>,
"harmony" <[email protected]> posted:

> "harmony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Fat drivers 'worse' than drinkers
> > >
> > > By Jenny Hope The Herald Sun Thursday, January 29, 2004
> > >
> > > FAT motorists may be even more dangerous than those who have been drinking, a sleep expert has
> > > warned.
> > >
> > > Dr Lee Dowson said growing obesity was fuelling a rise in the disorder sleep apnoea.

> > If fat people ate halal meat, this problem could be less severe.

> i meant did not.

I thought so.

Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

"harmony" <[email protected]> wrote in news:101j2233u31gc11
@corp.supernews.com:

> "harmony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:health-
>> [email protected]...
>> > Fat drivers 'worse' than drinkers
>> >
>> > By Jenny Hope The Herald Sun Thursday, January 29, 2004
>> >
>> > FAT motorists may be even more dangerous than those who have been drinking, a sleep expert has
>> > warned.
>> >
>> > Dr Lee Dowson said growing obesity was fuelling a rise in the disorder sleep apnoea.
>> >

>> If fat people ate halal meat, this problem could be less severe.
>>

> i meant did not.

If you ate what fat people eat, you would be fat too. Look at what fat people buy the next time you
go to buy food.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 02:10:38 -0000, Rich Andrews <[email protected]> wrote:

>"harmony" <[email protected]> wrote in news:101j2233u31gc11 @corp.supernews.com:
>

>> "harmony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:health-
>>> [email protected]...

>>> If fat people ate halal meat, this problem could be less severe.
>>>

>> i meant did not.
>>

>If you ate what fat people eat, you would be fat too. Look at what fat people buy the next time you
>go to buy food.

They probably shop while they are hungry. Maybe they are always hungry. Sometimes I buy junk too if
I am hungry when I am shopping.

Actually every time I go into a shopping center I get hungry. Something they spray around??? Or it
might be subliminal.

Fat people must have good feet. Otherwise how could they walk? I might be fat if my feet would let
me eat all that stuff.

Ora

[email protected] wrote:

>I might be fat if my feet would let me eat all that stuff.

Somehow it seems that ought to be profound.

I don't think it is, but it should be....

harmony wrote:

> "harmony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:health-
>>[email protected]...
>>
>>>Fat drivers 'worse' than drinkers
>>>
>>>By Jenny Hope The Herald Sun Thursday, January 29, 2004
>>>
>>>FAT motorists may be even more dangerous than those who have been drinking, a sleep expert has
>>>warned.
>>>
>>>Dr Lee Dowson said growing obesity was fuelling a rise in the disorder sleep apnoea.
>>>

>>If fat people ate halal meat, this problem could be less severe.
>>

> i meant did not.

Most fat people eat vegetarian thaalis and then park their fat behinds for hours in front of their
computers railing against meat-eaters, Christians and Muslims.