Fat Guy *finally* biking - sorta...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Albert N. Mouse, May 20, 2003.

  1. Morning all...

    Thanks so much for all the help over the last couple weeks. Thanks to the many posts in both these
    groups (rec.bicycles.misc and alt.mountain-bike) I purchased a Specialized Hardrock bike for myself
    this past weekend.

    It's been roughly 14 years since I was last on two wheels, so I am a little shaky... I even took the
    first fall trying to traverse a small hill in the yard. :) Still have a *long* way to go (and the
    scratches/sprains ot prove
    it)!

    My only complaint is the saddle on the bike. I like the firmness, but it just seems a little to
    narrow (side-to-side) and perhaps a little too short (front-to-back) for my lardy behind... Are
    there any Clydes/Super-Clydes out there who have any saddles they'd advise to try? There are so many
    stinking choices, I need someplace to start lest I wear out he welcome of my local LBS.

    Most readers can stop here... But if you really wanna laugh, I'll post all the gory details below
    in a reply.

    Thanks, Nony Mouse

    Tags:

  2. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Albert N. Mouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Morning all...
    >
    > Thanks so much for all the help over the last couple weeks. Thanks to the many posts in both these
    > groups (rec.bicycles.misc and alt.mountain-bike) I purchased a Specialized Hardrock bike for
    > myself this past weekend.
    >
    > It's been roughly 14 years since I was last on two wheels, so I am a little shaky... I even took
    > the first fall trying to traverse a small hill in the yard. :) Still have a *long* way to go (and
    > the scratches/sprains ot prove
    > it)!
    >
    > My only complaint is the saddle on the bike. I like the firmness, but it just seems a little to
    > narrow (side-to-side) and perhaps a little too short (front-to-back) for my lardy behind... Are
    > there any Clydes/Super-Clydes out there who have any saddles they'd advise to try? There are so
    > many stinking choices, I need someplace to start lest I wear out he welcome of my local LBS.
    >
    > Most readers can stop here... But if you really wanna laugh, I'll post all the gory details below
    > in a reply.
    >
    > Thanks, Nony Mouse

    Althugh some are not man or woman enough to admit it, we were all beginners on bikes once ourselves,
    so share anything you want. Hope you enjoy your bike and hope it brings you years of enjoyment!

  3. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Al Mouse wrote: ...
    > My only complaint is the saddle on the bike. I like the firmness, but it just seems a little to
    > narrow (side-to-side) and perhaps a little too short (front-to-back) for my lardy behind... Are
    > there any Clydes/Super-Clydes out there who have any saddles they'd advise to try? There are so
    > many stinking choices, I need someplace to start lest I wear out he welcome of my local LBS.

    Your LBS undoubtedly has a box of scratch 'n' dent saddles, or swap-outs that are brand new.
    These are often $5-10 each. They'll be happy to see you if you pick out one or two of these. You
    mention that softness isn't the critical issue, but...last year on a multi-day tour I had to buy
    a tie-on gel saddle pad. Whew. HTH --Karen M.

  4. > You mention that softness isn't the critical issue, but...last year on a multi-day tour I had
    > to buy a tie-on gel saddle pad. Whew.

    Thanks for the hints re: old saddles, Karen. :)

    I wasn't intending to say that softness isn't important... I mean, I don't want a piece of granite
    twixt my legs. Instead, I was trying to show that I understood that softer is not always better.

    Our office bought us these really cushy office chairs a couple years ago. The trick was that the
    cushy was in all the wrong places! The first few minutes sitting down were heaven, but it turned to
    hell for the rest of the day

    news:[email protected]...

  5. Karen said:
    >> Your LBS undoubtedly has a box of scratch 'n' dent saddles, or swap-outs that are brand new.
    >> These are often $5-10 each. They'll be happy to see you if you pick out one or two of these.

    Albert N. Mouse replied:
    > Thanks for the hints re: old saddles, Karen. :)

    Lat time I was in the shop, I noted a large box of such saddles at Goodale's... (If you didn't buy
    from Goodale's in Hooksett, shame on you!-) But even so, get thyself in there and seek out a person
    named Todd, tell him I sent you. he sorta looks like this:
    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/030105-021.jpg (the guy in the bike, not he guy pee'ing in
    the woods ;-)

    He is the Mgr. and a person of the highest calliber, he'll fix you up, I guarantee.

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:06:27 -0400, Albert N. Mouse wrote:

    > Thanks for the hints re: old saddles, Karen. :)

    A note of caution: most of those saddles are in there because bikes often come with crappy saddles
    that people immediately replace. Hence, most of the saddles in the box will be junk. Give it a look,
    but your best bet probably is still the shelves. If width is a problem, you might even consider
    womens saddles or gel saddles. Just avoid those gigantic touring saddles - they'll definitely rub in
    the wrong places and the huge springs have way too much lateral flex.