Fat guy finishes Rosarito 50 miler!! What now?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by estolano, Sep 27, 2004.

1. estolano

estolano New Member

In my 9th week of cycling, I finished a 50 mile fun ride from Rosarito to Ensenada. It was a piece of cake...up until the 40th mile or so!! Then I ran out of gas and had to go on sheer will.

Any tips for further training? Given that the race was Saturday, should I wait before hitting the bike again? Is a 28 mile race in a week and a half too soon?

I really enjoy biking thus far and would like to get up to an average cycling level. Any tips would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

I'd get back on the bike today for an easy ride, maybe 10-15 miles, and do a couple more of these rides before the next 28 mile event.

Keep riding and you'll build your endurance up. I'd try to go on one longer ride a week....maybe 35-40 miles now, then slowly build up to 50 as they get easy.

Also, a few shorter rides during the week will help you to slowly increase your weekly mileage base from 50 up to 100 miles or so. Steady base training miles really help.

Maybe you want to ride a full Century next year...helps to have a goal to shoot for.

3. joule

joule New Member

Well I went and did it. Signed up for the Salisbury, MD Seagull century. Not sure I'm ready. Have been doing 40 milers no problem (about 2hrs, 15 min). Figured I'd get in a metric century this weekend then go for broke on Oct 9th. Just hope the weather is decent. Any suggestion for packing food on the bike for the day? I have no plans to for any speed records on the 100 miler. Figuring pacing myself at 14 mph and taking a 10 min break at the 42, 62 and 84 rest stops. Should complete in just under 8 hours. Has been one of the goals I set for myself when I started back riding the 1st of August.

4. dhk

dhk New Member

Good for you. The ride will have rest stops, so you can refill water,Gatorade and get your snacks. My tip would be first to make sure you stay hydrated with plenty of water and Gatorade. Get some food at the stops, and take some with you in your jersey pockets, but don't overdo the eating. Nibbling food and sipping Gatorade every 15-20 minutes while riding works better for me than filling up at a rest stop.

Your legs should be ok on a flat century if you pace yourself, but I'll bet the butt will be hurting after 6 hours. Don't forget the chamois butter! I didn't use any on my first Century of the year back in March, and the chaffing got pretty intense. I probably rode most of the last 20 miles out of the saddle.