Fat loss progress

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Pentastar, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Pentastar

    Pentastar Guest

    21 years old,.5'10"
    On my fat loss program, I'm now currently at 141 lbs and 9.2% body fat
    according to Tanita Scale using regular adult mode at sedentary
    activity level setting. Goal is 7% BF.

    How do you tell when your leptin levels drop and that it's time to
    refeed?

    Also, how do you tell when your body starts to do
    physiological/metabolic adaptations, and what % bodyfat do those
    generally start at?

    If those scenarios 'were to' happen, the adaptations/lowering of
    leptin/etc., how would they reflect on the numbers/stats on my Excel
    chart?
    such as:
    daily measured weight & fat%,
    10-day rolling average trend weight,
    7-day moving average fat%,
    true metabolic rate based on actual changes in 10-day rolling average
    trend weight
    average daily calorie deficit

    When I look back at my chart, I have periods where my intake was at or
    close baseline on random days. On special occasions and also at random
    times as well, it was a little above maintenance. On Thanksgiving day,
    intake was somewhat above baseline, too. Intake during program has
    zig-zagged a lot and was never the same day after day. Some days were
    700 deficits, 200 deficits, 1000 deficits, 300 deficits, 1200 deficits,
    500 deficits, etc.. kinda like a Zig-Zag effect.

    Over November, I've lost 3 lbs and 1.6% bodyfat. I went from 10.8% fat
    to my current 9.2%. Average deficit over whole program so far has been
    550 which is roughly 1 lb per week since Sept. 1st.
    I'm not sure how December is going to pan out. But it looks like it
    will be a pretty good month. During the peak of the holidays
    (Christmas), I plan to shift Calories to around neutral mode or
    something.
     
    Tags:


  2. David Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    Pentastar wrote:
    > 21 years old,.5'10"
    > On my fat loss program, I'm now currently at 141 lbs and 9.2% body fat
    > according to Tanita Scale using regular adult mode at sedentary
    > activity level setting. Goal is 7% BF.
    >
    > How do you tell when your leptin levels drop and that it's time to
    > refeed?


    At 5'10" and 141 pounds, you can tell it's time to refeed because a
    light breeze blows you into the next county.

    David
     
  3. 0901453765

    0901453765 Guest

    any relation to Leonard? He is a depressing ass clown
     
  4. "The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1h6xg4j.1flhtnltyqc2yN%[email protected]
    > Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Goal is 7% BF.

    >
    > Why?


    I'm at 7, and I love it. It's cool to be ripped. What don't you get? It's
    good for him to have a goal to shoot for, for that matter. However, being
    that light, I would want to gain muscle. Being low body fat and low
    weight... now that's just gross.
     
  5. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

    "Steve McDevitt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[email protected]> wrote


    >> Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Goal is 7% BF.

    >>
    >> Why?

    >
    >I'm at 7, and I love it. It's cool to be ripped. What don't you get?


    YEAH, MICA, WHAT THE HELL DON'T YOU GET?!
    --
     
  6. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

  7. Pentastar

    Pentastar Guest

    The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:
    > Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Goal is 7% BF.

    >
    > Why?


    So, I will look better, I think.

    To go on a tangent here,

    There's a person called Ron Brown who does a book called the Body Fat
    Guide. He has his own website, too, www.bodyfatguide.com . He's got
    these wierd principles. He says that if you lift weights while you're
    in a kcal deficit, then you will lose muscle.
    Rubbish, I feel this is. Almost every post I've read on this usenet
    section says that you have to do resistance exercise to maintain muscle
    mass while trying to lose fat.

    Also, Ron Brown says it's ok to do fast fat loss programs, like 2 lbs
    every few days where you maintain 2,333 kcal deficits. Hmmm....yet,
    he's against crash diets. Sounds hypocritical, doesn't it? Basically,
    in this case, he tells you to walk 3.5 mph for hours and hours each day
    and eat as low as 1,100 calories.

    Myself? I would not recommend doing this unless you want to do costly
    damage to your metabolism.

    He sounds like quackery to me esp. after reading about his fast fat
    loss pages on his site fairly recently.
    I bet he's in this for the money.
    ..
    Agree?
     
  8. Pentastar

    Pentastar Guest

    David Cohen wrote:
    > Pentastar wrote:
    > > 21 years old,.5'10"
    > > On my fat loss program, I'm now currently at 141 lbs and 9.2% body fat
    > > according to Tanita Scale using regular adult mode at sedentary
    > > activity level setting. Goal is 7% BF.
    > >
    > > How do you tell when your leptin levels drop and that it's time to
    > > refeed?

    >
    > At 5'10" and 141 pounds, you can tell it's time to refeed because a
    > light breeze blows you into the next county.
    >
    > David


    Clap:::Clap:::Clap:::LOL ;-D LOL:::Clap:::Clap:::Clap

    >From looking at my chart, it appears that I've been hitting baseline or

    a little above at times in terms of intake. Whenever I have a social
    gathering, holiday, or when going out to eat with friends/family, I
    generally take a day off and eat at neutral or excess calories.
    Usually, those are unplanned. However, it's done more or less seldomly.
    On these days, I could consider them refeeds even though I didn't
    actually plan them that way.

    I 'could' say they were 'probably' beneficial for my fat loss even
    though I didn't realize it as being beneficial. I'm not sure how much
    more often I will need to refeed as I get to lower body fat levels.

    When you do your refeed days, how do you generally do them?

    On the other hand, I went and bought some more fish oil supplements for
    EFA's. I'm taking 6 capsules 3xday w/ meals. I had also started taking
    750mg Calcium Bis-Glycinate 3xday the other week.
     
  9. RoT

    RoT Guest

    Pentastar wrote

    >
    > The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:
    >> Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Goal is 7% BF.

    >>
    >> Why?

    >
    > So, I will look better, I think.
    >
    > To go on a tangent here,
    >
    > There's a person called Ron Brown who does a book called the Body Fat
    > Guide. He has his own website, too, www.bodyfatguide.com . He's got
    > these wierd principles. He says that if you lift weights while you're
    > in a kcal deficit, then you will lose muscle.
    > Rubbish, I feel this is. Almost every post I've read on this usenet
    > section says that you have to do resistance exercise to maintain muscle
    > mass while trying to lose fat.
    >
    > Also, Ron Brown says it's ok to do fast fat loss programs, like 2 lbs
    > every few days where you maintain 2,333 kcal deficits. Hmmm....yet,
    > he's against crash diets. Sounds hypocritical, doesn't it? Basically,
    > in this case, he tells you to walk 3.5 mph for hours and hours each day
    > and eat as low as 1,100 calories.
    >
    > Myself? I would not recommend doing this unless you want to do costly
    > damage to your metabolism.
    >
    > He sounds like quackery to me esp. after reading about his fast fat
    > loss pages on his site fairly recently.
    > I bet he's in this for the money.
    > .
    > Agree?


    you can tell just by the layout of the page and by reading the headings that its a money making scam
    --
    RoT
     
  10. David Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    Pentastar wrote:
    > David Cohen wrote:
    > > Pentastar wrote:
    > > > 21 years old,.5'10"
    > > > On my fat loss program, I'm now currently at 141 lbs and 9.2% body fat
    > > > according to Tanita Scale using regular adult mode at sedentary
    > > > activity level setting. Goal is 7% BF.
    > > >
    > > > How do you tell when your leptin levels drop and that it's time to
    > > > refeed?

    > >
    > > At 5'10" and 141 pounds, you can tell it's time to refeed because a
    > > light breeze blows you into the next county.
    > >
    > > David

    >
    > Clap:::Clap:::Clap:::LOL ;-D LOL:::Clap:::Clap:::Clap
    >
    > >From looking at my chart, it appears that I've been hitting baseline or

    > a little above at times in terms of intake. Whenever I have a social
    > gathering, holiday, or when going out to eat with friends/family, I
    > generally take a day off and eat at neutral or excess calories.
    > Usually, those are unplanned. However, it's done more or less seldomly.
    > On these days, I could consider them refeeds even though I didn't
    > actually plan them that way.
    >
    > I 'could' say they were 'probably' beneficial for my fat loss even
    > though I didn't realize it as being beneficial. I'm not sure how much
    > more often I will need to refeed as I get to lower body fat levels.
    >
    > When you do your refeed days, how do you generally do them?
    >
    > On the other hand, I went and bought some more fish oil supplements for
    > EFA's. I'm taking 6 capsules 3xday w/ meals. I had also started taking
    > 750mg Calcium Bis-Glycinate 3xday the other week.


    If you were 5'10" and 195 pounds at 9% trying to get to 7%, i'd say you
    were a bodybuilder. At 5'10" and 141 pounds at 9% trying to get to 7%,
    you have an eating disorder/body dysmorphic syndrome, and need to see a
    psychiatrist.

    And, no, I'm not joking. You need professional help.

    David
     
  11. Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:
    > > Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Goal is 7% BF.

    > >
    > > Why?

    >
    > So, I will look better, I think.


    I don't think you will. Most people can't pull that off, and even on
    the people who can it doesn't look all that good to me. It starts to
    border on unnatural.
     
  12. In article <1h6znw9.oni56r18a5mhiN%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (The Queen of Cans and Jars) wrote:

    > Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:
    > > > Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > Goal is 7% BF.
    > > >
    > > > Why?

    > >
    > > So, I will look better, I think.

    >
    > I don't think you will. Most people can't pull that off, and even on
    > the people who can it doesn't look all that good to me. It starts to
    > border on unnatural.
    >




    Yeah.

    They look like famine victims. ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  13. 0901453765

    0901453765 Guest

    This from a body builder!!
     
  14. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    "Pentastar" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:
    >> Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Goal is 7% BF.

    >>
    >> Why?

    >
    > So, I will look better, I think.
    >
    > To go on a tangent here,
    >
    > There's a person called Ron Brown who does a book called the Body Fat
    > Guide. He has his own website, too, www.bodyfatguide.com . He's got
    > these wierd principles. He says that if you lift weights while you're
    > in a kcal deficit, then you will lose muscle.
    > Rubbish, I feel this is. Almost every post I've read on this usenet
    > section says that you have to do resistance exercise to maintain muscle
    > mass while trying to lose fat.
    >
    > Also, Ron Brown says it's ok to do fast fat loss programs, like 2 lbs
    > every few days where you maintain 2,333 kcal deficits. Hmmm....yet,
    > he's against crash diets. Sounds hypocritical, doesn't it? Basically,
    > in this case, he tells you to walk 3.5 mph for hours and hours each day
    > and eat as low as 1,100 calories.
    >
    > Myself? I would not recommend doing this unless you want to do costly
    > damage to your metabolism.
    >
    > He sounds like quackery to me esp. after reading about his fast fat
    > loss pages on his site fairly recently.
    > I bet he's in this for the money.
    > .
    > Agree?
    >


    Seen that site. Ignore it. Go to bodyrecomposition.com if you want better
    info.

    For your base question, if you're not stalling out I see no reason to
    change anything. Some days a little above, most days a little below, keep
    things moving in the direction you want, keep it up until they stop. Then
    look for something more drastic if you're still not happy.

    Hugh



    --
    Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
    chocolate. ("Ladi")
     
  15. Pentastar

    Pentastar Guest

    David Cohen wrote:
    > Pentastar wrote:
    > > David Cohen wrote:
    > > > Pentastar wrote:
    > > > > 21 years old,.5'10"
    > > > > On my fat loss program, I'm now currently at 141 lbs and 9.2% body fat
    > > > > according to Tanita Scale using regular adult mode at sedentary
    > > > > activity level setting. Goal is 7% BF.
    > > > >
    > > > > How do you tell when your leptin levels drop and that it's time to
    > > > > refeed?
    > > >
    > > > At 5'10" and 141 pounds, you can tell it's time to refeed because a
    > > > light breeze blows you into the next county.
    > > >
    > > > David

    > >
    > > Clap:::Clap:::Clap:::LOL ;-D LOL:::Clap:::Clap:::Clap
    > >
    > > >From looking at my chart, it appears that I've been hitting baseline or

    > > a little above at times in terms of intake. Whenever I have a social
    > > gathering, holiday, or when going out to eat with friends/family, I
    > > generally take a day off and eat at neutral or excess calories.
    > > Usually, those are unplanned. However, it's done more or less seldomly.
    > > On these days, I could consider them refeeds even though I didn't
    > > actually plan them that way.
    > >
    > > I 'could' say they were 'probably' beneficial for my fat loss even
    > > though I didn't realize it as being beneficial. I'm not sure how much
    > > more often I will need to refeed as I get to lower body fat levels.
    > >
    > > When you do your refeed days, how do you generally do them?
    > >
    > > On the other hand, I went and bought some more fish oil supplements for
    > > EFA's. I'm taking 6 capsules 3xday w/ meals. I had also started taking
    > > 750mg Calcium Bis-Glycinate 3xday the other week.

    >
    > If you were 5'10" and 195 pounds at 9% trying to get to 7%, i'd say you
    > were a bodybuilder. At 5'10" and 141 pounds at 9% trying to get to 7%,
    > you have an eating disorder/body dysmorphic syndrome, and need to see a
    > psychiatrist.
    >
    > And, no, I'm not joking. You need professional help.
    >
    > David


    Ok...whatever. I will mention, though, that I'm 'not' starting from
    9.2%, but I had started from 14% months ago. I'm currently at 9.2% en
    route to 7%. I've been doing this program for months. I forgot to note
    this in my original post.

    Not to be overly generic here, but you don't need to go up and jump to
    conclusions here.
    My original intent on my original post was to ask a couple of questions
    about leptin levels and adaptations.

    I just want a goal to strive for. And, of course, I would like to look
    more cut as well. Anyone would, I suppose.

    Kinda like wanting to see what your car can do by testing out it's top
    speed on the interstate/highway (to like 120+ MPH) and 'manually
    shifting' the automatic transmission, 1-2-D, to wind out the gears to
    max RPM's (right before redline at times) and max speeds to squeeze out
    more performance.

    I like to compare a car to the human body. A fat loss program can be
    like driving or traveling. Basically, traveling to your BF% goal.
    Program Shifter Functions (like the auto transmission shifter
    functions):
    (P)ark = Off-Program
    (R)everse = Refeed/Bulk-Up Mode
    (N)eutral = Neutral Energy Balance/Maintenance Calories/Baseline Mode
    (D)rive = Diet Mode (aka Sustained Cal Deficit Mode)
    (2) = Kcal Mode 2/Low Cal Mode (high deficit mode)
    (1) = Kcal Mode 1/Very Low Cal Mode (very high deficit mode)
    Cruise Control = Nearly Constant Kcal intake, to provide a constant
    Kcal Deficit day after day
    MPH = Rate of Fat/Weight Loss, measured in average 'weekly' deficit.
    FUEL = weekly avg intake of Kcal.
    Stalling = Plateau
    Oil Pressure = State of metabolism. In an engine low oil pressure
    indicates poor condition.
    RPM = how hard you're pushing your fat loss/cutting your calories
    down/winding out your deficits, etc. 'Over-taching', or over-revving,
    your fat loss program too much, for example, leads to muscle loss and
    metabolism slowdown.
    TRIP = Rolling Average Trend Weight/BF%
    Odometer = Cumulative Deficit throughout program

    On another note, I'm currently going to a technical college for a
    2-year Associates Degree in Automotive Service Technician. I plan to be
    a mechanic, get ASE certified, and eventually work at a Chrysler
    dealership. I'm a Mopar/Chrysler freak e.g. the "pentastar" logo.
    What I like to do sometimes is blend automotive concepts into my body
    recomposition programs. pretty unique and very correlative.
     
  16. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Pentastar" <[email protected]> wrote
    <snip typical rationalization of aberant psychopathological behavior>

    Whatever, Mary Kate.

    David
     
  17. Joe Humble

    Joe Humble Guest

    On 2 Dec 2005 20:17:15 -0800, "Pentastar" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >The Queen of Cans and Jars wrote:
    >> Pentastar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Goal is 7% BF.

    >>
    >> Why?

    >
    >So, I will look better, I think.
    >
    >To go on a tangent here,
    >
    >There's a person called Ron Brown who does a book called the Body Fat
    >Guide. He has his own website, too, www.bodyfatguide.com . He's got
    >these wierd principles. He says that if you lift weights while you're
    >in a kcal deficit, then you will lose muscle.
    >Rubbish, I feel this is. Almost every post I've read on this usenet
    >section says that you have to do resistance exercise to maintain muscle
    >mass while trying to lose fat.
    >


    It seems to help fend off muscle wasting but some will occur if you
    are losing a significant amount of overall bodyweight (unless you are
    also on anabolic steroids). A confound in this scenario is if you are
    a novice weighttrainer. I've seen some people have some pretty good
    results maintaining their LBM when simultaneously starting both a
    first-time diet and weight-training program. However, this is not
    going to work when you get to a point where you body is resisting,
    strongly, further reductions in BF%.


    --
    Is this thing on?
     
  18. Joe Humble

    Joe Humble Guest

    On 3 Dec 2005 03:08:31 -0800, "David Cohen" <[email protected]>
    wrote:


    >> On the other hand, I went and bought some more fish oil supplements for
    >> EFA's. I'm taking 6 capsules 3xday w/ meals. I had also started taking
    >> 750mg Calcium Bis-Glycinate 3xday the other week.

    >
    >If you were 5'10" and 195 pounds at 9% trying to get to 7%, i'd say you
    >were a bodybuilder. At 5'10" and 141 pounds at 9% trying to get to 7%,
    >you have an eating disorder/body dysmorphic syndrome, and need to see a
    >psychiatrist.
    >
    >And, no, I'm not joking. You need professional help.
    >
    >David


    Don't those silly weight charts show 147 as the perfect bodyweight for
    5'10"?

    9% to 7% is going to probably cut deeply into both muscle and fat. He
    may just not be aware he'll need to get to, I'm not getting my
    calculator, like 115 lbs or something.


    --
    Is this thing on?
     
Loading...
Loading...