FAT loss vs. Weight loss

jhuskey said:
I don't believe all the research data on alcohol and have decided to do a comprehensive study on my own. Since an experiment needs a control I have asked for a couple of research volunteers to aid me. They need to be between 18-35 years of age female and hot.
That's not a task that you can tackle on your own, you need a research assistant. To that end I'm forwarding you my CV and a touched up photo.
jhuskey said:
Disclaimer: In case my wife is reading this it is just really, really silly stuff that I post some times and contains no link to reality. ;)
If my wife is reading this, can you give me my credit card back, so that I can fund this study.

I think the point of my original post may have been hijacked?:rolleyes:

The point is that fit/healthy people with a few kg's of FAT to lose can do so effectively without the whole calorie in calorie out BS.

The "eat real food" arguement is also not going to specifically remove FAT. I agree that weight loss is about balance and sustainability. My gripe with many is the information passed on from fit/healthy people that fat people should just eat less and exercise more. Wow, what a brreakthrough!

What really makes me laugh is when I see pigeon chested cyclists with little pot bellies boast about their marvelous weight loss achievements. I know cycling is about power to weight ratio and a strong upper body can be counter productive to certain elements of the sport, but losing weight and losing fat are not necessarily the same thing.

QikSmurf said:
I think the point of my original post may have been hijacked?:rolleyes:

The point is that fit/healthy people with a few kg's of FAT to lose can do so effectively without the whole calorie in calorie out BS.

The "eat real food" arguement is also not going to specifically remove FAT. I agree that weight loss is about balance and sustainability. My gripe with many is the information passed on from fit/healthy people that fat people should just eat less and exercise more. Wow, what a brreakthrough!

What really makes me laugh is when I see pigeon chested cyclists with little pot bellies boast about their marvelous weight loss achievements. I know cycling is about power to weight ratio and a strong upper body can be counter productive to certain elements of the sport, but losing weight and losing fat are not necessarily the same thing.

Well, eating less and exercising more might not sound like a "breakthrough", but in case you haven't read the news lately, there is, in the US at least, a staggering proportion of overweight people. Besides, it has been shown to be the most effective, long term solution to being overweight. Done properly, which is dead simple, losing muscle mass isn't a concern.

As for what you see in pigeon chested cyclists, you have no clue what they're situation is, so commenting on it is presumptuous at best.

taniwha said:
This is almost complete bunkum. < snip > Moderate consumption of animal products per se has not been linked to cancer and heart disease any more than almost any other food type. It is excessive consumption that causes problems, and not just of animal products.

The China Study was the largest study of it's kind and it looked for connections between diet and disease and that is precisely what was found. You can be exposed to carcinogens and in the absence of animal protein in the diet the cancer does not develop. Add animal protein to the diet and the cancer grows. They were even able to start and stop the growth of cancerous tumors in mice by adding or subtracting animal protein (5% casein) from the diet.

Cholesterol causes arterial blockages which leads to heart disease. Do you know where cholesterol comes fom? It comes from the consumption of animal products. There is no cholesterol in fruit or vegetables.

bulaboy said:
The China Study was the largest study of it's kind and it looked for connections between diet and disease and that is precisely what was found. You can be exposed to carcinogens and in the absence of animal protein in the diet the cancer does not develop. Add animal protein to the diet and the cancer grows. They were even able to start and stop the growth of cancerous tumors in mice by adding or subtracting animal protein (5% casein) from the diet.

Cholesterol causes arterial blockages which leads to heart disease. Do you know where cholesterol comes fom? It comes from the consumption of animal products. There is no cholesterol in fruit or vegetables.

Please provide the link to the study.

Animal products...meat....are fine. As with anything else, use proper moderation. Besides, not all animal products are the same.

bulaboy said:
The China Study was the largest study of it's kind and it looked for connections between diet and disease and that is precisely what was found.

The China Study you are referring to is the book, by Dr Campbell and son?

Animal products are bad, huh? That's funny.

In Australia right now there is a big push to eat LEAN red meat. The advertising points out the nutritional benefits - protein, amino acids, omega 3, Vit B.

I am well aware of the risks of eating too much saturated fat. I'm not suggesting the low carb approach is a long term eating program, rather a short term strategy to lose FAT stores.

I know how vegetarians love to quote studies on why animal products are bad - the reality is that western people are getting fat. It is also a fact that people are living longer today than they were 10, 20, 30, 100, 10000 years ago.

Lean Pork (has half the saturated fat of red meat), chicken breast meat, oily fish, kangaroo meat and lean red meat, when eaten in moderation, is perfect for a balanced diet. Shifting the balance towards more of these foods while cutting out carbs will cause the body to enter ketosis and breakdown body fat.

Yes it can cause bad breath. It certainly will affect endurance and strength, but it is a very effective way of sheding excess fat.

The China Study is a book by T. Colin Campbell. Check out some of the reviews of the book on Amazon. Can't give you too much more info on it 'cause I loaned it to my sister. Much of the information on nutrition that is commonly accepted as truth these days is heavily influenced by people with a product to sell. Agribusiness is huge and the spinoffs include: The Egg Board, The Cattlemens Assoc., The Dairy Council etc. They spend a lot on advertising and on lobby groups. There is a lot of politics involved. These lobbying groups even had a say on what got into the food pyramid that children are taught in school, as well as what medical doctors are taught about nutrition in med school. Their reach extends into the FDA so it's no wonder that there is a lot of misinformation out there. If people continue to eat animal products they will continue to get heart disease and cancer. The medical establishment is a trillion dollar/year business in the U.S. so lots of people are getting rich while Americans get sick. Follow the money. Despite all the cancer research over the last 25(?) or so years (When did Reagen declare the "war on cancer"?) cancer rates continue to go up. Makes you wonder.

bulaboy said:
The China Study is a book by T. Colin Campbell. Check out some of the reviews of the book on Amazon. Can't give you too much more info on it 'cause I loaned it to my sister. Much of the information on nutrition that is commonly accepted as truth these days is heavily influenced by people with a product to sell. Agribusiness is huge and the spinoffs include: The Egg Board, The Cattlemens Assoc., The Dairy Council etc. They spend a lot on advertising and on lobby groups. There is a lot of politics involved. These lobbying groups even had a say on what got into the food pyramid that children are taught in school, as well as what medical doctors are taught about nutrition in med school. Their reach extends into the FDA so it's no wonder that there is a lot of misinformation out there. If people continue to eat animal products they will continue to get heart disease and cancer. The medical establishment is a trillion dollar/year business in the U.S. so lots of people are getting rich while Americans get sick. Follow the money. Despite all the cancer research over the last 25(?) or so years (When did Reagen declare the "war on cancer"?) cancer rates continue to go up. Makes you wonder.

Doesn't make me wonder at all: as life expectancy, in general, increases, so does the opportunity for cells to be damaged and to develop abnormal growth properties. It's idiocy to believe that there is a quick, easy cure, especially when there are so many different forms of cancer.

Misinformation, including the book? Where is the study? If it's a real study, in a peer reviewed journal, then in will be found elsewhere, not just in a book.

Conspiracy theories are boring and amazingly bereft of facts.

alienator said:
Doesn't make me wonder at all: as life expectancy, in general, increases, so does the opportunity for cells to be damaged and to develop abnormal growth properties. It's idiocy to believe that there is a quick, easy cure, especially when there are so many different forms of cancer.

Misinformation, including the book? Where is the study? If it's a real study, in a peer reviewed journal, then in will be found elsewhere, not just in a book.

Conspiracy theories are boring and amazingly bereft of facts.

The book has 35 pages of references most of which are peer reviewed studies and or papers.

bulaboy said:
The book has 35 pages of references most of which are peer reviewed studies and or papers.

And it most properly should have been titled "The Vegetarian's Handbook".

taniwha said:
And it most properly should have been titled "The Vegetarian's Handbook".

My wife wanted to be a vegetarian when she grew up, but she's a seamstress instead. No matter, she still loves being around animals, even if she can't heal them when they're sick or injured.

It is never a good idea to deprive your body of a all carbs, really we get a lot of our energy from carbs. This is a diet program that is easy to follow and it helps burn off the fat. You just have to follow the program, you will feel healthier, have more energy and not deprive your body of the nutrients that it needs. It comes with DVD's that make it very simple to understand and follow good luck to you, check it out, it might not be for you but my girlfriend seen great results with it and says she feels great.:D