Fat man in China Wheel Advice

monkeyonabike

May 4, 2010
Hey

I am living in China right now and have limited access to bike parts as my LBS are pretty understocked or stocked with ****. I am a big guy, around 280 pounds and I love cycle touring. My main problem is I always get broken spokes on my back wheel whenever I ride loaded. The wheel I have just now is a factory standard set up, 700c with a shimano hub and I replaced all the spokes with DT Swiss spokes. Since doing that I haven't had much bother with the back wheel although it does go out of true quite easily.

My question is this, if I were to build a new rear wheel, what do you think of the following components and will they hold up to a big guy like myself:-

Sun Swift Sl1 36 hole deep section rim (about 25 usd)
Shimano Deore rear hub 36 hole (also about 25usd) or Shimano XT 36 hole (about 40 usd)
DT Swiss Spokes

Any feedback is much appreciated.

(In before buy online and ship to China, I don't have a credit card to facilitate this)

monkeyonabike said:
Hey

I am living in China right now and have limited access to bike parts as my LBS are pretty understocked or stocked with ****. I am a big guy, around 280 pounds and I love cycle touring. My main problem is I always get broken spokes on my back wheel whenever I ride loaded. The wheel I have just now is a factory standard set up, 700c with a shimano hub and I replaced all the spokes with DT Swiss spokes. Since doing that I haven't had much bother with the back wheel although it does go out of true quite easily.

My question is this, if I were to build a new rear wheel, what do you think of the following components and will they hold up to a big guy like myself:-

Shimano Deore rear hub 36 hole (also about 25usd) or Shimano XT 36 hole (about 40 usd)
DT Swiss Spokes

(In before buy online and ship to China, I don't have a credit card to facilitate this)

most wheels are made in china these days, i'd go to ebay and buy from a local supplier.

36 spokes are good but a loaded bike with 280lb rider I would definitely try to go with 40... esp. since you are starting from scratch. my loaded touring bike has 40 spoke wheels, they never been out of true. If I were building a whole bike for you I would probably opt for 26" wheels and 36 spokes, the rims are stronger the the spokes shorter. 36 spoke 700c wheels for you would be more like performance wheels IMO.

good luck,

curby

Coincidentally, I've got a touring question for you, re: China. Can you recommend an easy multi day tour in China? What about riding from Shanghai south along the coast in late summer or fall? I will be riding with a first time cycle-tourist and flatland, easy ascents and tailwinds would all help them enjoy their holiday.

hopeful,

curby

monkeyonabike said:
Hey

DT Swiss Spokes

Are you in China now? I would recommend cycling around Guanxi (广西) Province, like around Yangshuo (阳朔) You will find a lot of tourists around there, it's nice and warm and flat, although you are always around beautiful karst mountains. You can also easily get off road and cycle along farm roads. Otherwise, if you don't want to venture too far south you can head to Shandong (山东) province, which generally speaking, is a polluted **** hole, but has some wonderful coastline. You could ride along the coast, depending how long you have from Weihai( 威海) or Yantai (烟台) to Qingdao(青岛)in summer this would be a great ride,although stay away in winter time!

If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a line, I have a fairly good knowledge of China and am more than happy to help.

Cheers

monkeyonabike said:

DT Swiss Spokes
Presuming your frame can accommodate it, I think you may want to consider something like the SUN 202 rims (622-19) & 700x28-or-larger tires.

FWIW. A lot of people prefer to have their hand-built wheels laced with double butted spokes because they think they are stronger ... I think they are misguided & I recommend you build the wheels with straight 14g spokes.

A tensiometer helps, but isn't necessary ... I had a WHEELSMITH Tensiometer, but after having a chance to use the slightly less precise PARK TOOL Spoke Tension Meter, I bought the latter & sold my Wheelsmith Tensiometer because I find the PARK TOOL Spoke Tension Meter to be faster (and, therefore easier [for me]) to use.