Fat People and Bike Racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Gaylor, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Steve Gaylor

    Steve Gaylor Guest

    http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/010/metro/Framingham_data_cited_in_obesity_ study+.shtml

    Framingham data cited in obesity study

    A study using data from the well-known Framingham Heart Study shows that people who are fat during
    middle age are shaving years off their lives and causing as much damage to their health as smoking.

    [snip]

    A healthy weight is a BMI of less than 25. For example, a 5-foot-6-inch adult is considered
    overweight at 155 pounds, and obese at 186 pounds

    [article end]

    http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

    BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI of
    30 or greater

    [article end]

    A 5'11" male weighing more than 175 lbs. would be overweight.

    Most of the Masters Racers I know weigh more than that. They get enough exercise, but it seems a
    little dieting would be in order. Especially since most of them consider themselves to be
    "athletes".

    Why is it that our culture consumes so much food compared to other cultures? There are more fat
    people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.

    Steven G.

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    HEY!! I resemble that remark!!

    Steve
    28.4 BMI (much more "muscle" than the average cyclist)
    Ps. Remember.....muscle is 3x more than fat

    My regular nicknames through the years:

    thunder thighs frog legs

    On 1/10/03 5:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Steve Gaylor"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/010/metro/Framingham_data_cited_in_obesity_ study+.shtml
    >
    > Framingham data cited in obesity study
    >
    > A study using data from the well-known Framingham Heart Study shows that people who are fat during
    > middle age are shaving years off their lives and causing as much damage to their health as
    > smoking.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > A healthy weight is a BMI of less than 25. For example, a 5-foot-6-inch adult is considered
    > overweight at 155 pounds, and obese at 186 pounds
    >
    > [article end]
    >

    > http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm
    >
    > BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI
    > of 30 or greater
    >
    > [article end]
    >

    > A 5'11" male weighing more than 175 lbs. would be overweight.
    >
    > Most of the Masters Racers I know weigh more than that. They get enough exercise, but it seems a
    > little dieting would be in order. Especially since most of them consider themselves to be
    > "athletes".
    >
    > Why is it that our culture consumes so much food compared to other cultures? There are more fat
    > people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.
    >

    > Steven G.

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Steve Gaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/010/metro/Framingham_data_cited_in_obesity_
    > study+.shtml
    >
    > Framingham data cited in obesity study
    >
    > A study using data from the well-known Framingham Heart Study shows that people who are fat during
    > middle age are shaving years off their lives and causing as much damage to their health as
    > smoking.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > A healthy weight is a BMI of less than 25. For example, a 5-foot-6-inch adult is considered
    > overweight at 155 pounds, and obese at 186 pounds
    >
    > [article end]
    >

    > http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm
    >
    > BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI
    > of 30 or greater
    >
    > [article end]
    >

    > A 5'11" male weighing more than 175 lbs. would be overweight.
    >
    > Most of the Masters Racers I know weigh more than that. They get enough exercise, but it seems a
    > little dieting would be in order. Especially
    since
    > most of them consider themselves to be "athletes".
    >
    > Why is it that our culture consumes so much food compared to other
    cultures?
    > There are more fat people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.

    First, a man (or woman - BMI standards are gender-independent) who is 5'11" would have to weigh more
    than 179 lbs (not 175 lbs as you state) to be considered to be overweight. Second, keep in mind that
    calculation of BMI only gives an estimate or predictor of body composition, i.e., it doesn't
    distinguish between people who are overfat or those who are merely overweight (due, e.g., to high
    lean body mass).

    Andy Coggan

  4. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Steve Gaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > There are more fat people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.

    I'll testify to that. Americans stand out like a rat in a cage full of mice in Paris.

  5. In an article I read a couple years ago, BMI was dissed and ran ragged to the ground. Reason? The
    arguably fittest boxer, Evander Holyfield, was deemed overweight using BMI. His aerobic and
    anaerobic capacities were incredible (resting heart rate of roughly 40 if I remember correctly) and
    nobody can doubt his strength. However, the silly little number said he was overweight and thus at
    risk for heart diease, etc. A better indicator is %body fat IMHO.

    Daniel

  6. Steve Gaylor <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Why is it that our culture consumes so much food compared to other cultures? There are more fat
    : people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.

    Might be high amount of fats and sugar in the diet, not just the volume of food. Time to start
    eating soy beans, rice, fish and other veggies.

    --
    Risto "2kg heavier this season but it's all muscle mass" Varanka http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/
    varis at no spam please iki fi

  7. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Steve Gaylor" <stevegaylor.>

    > http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm
    >
    > BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI
    > of 30 or greater
    >
    > [article end]
    >

    > A 5'11" male weighing more than 175 lbs. would be overweight.

    WAY WAY too general. Bone desnity isn't part of the BMI equation. A 5'11", 175# male in most regards
    is DEFINTELY NOT overweight Steve-o.

    > Most of the Masters Racers I know weigh more than that. They get enough exercise, but it seems a
    > little dieting would be in order. Especially
    since
    > most of them consider themselves to be "athletes".
    >
    > Why is it that our culture consumes so much food compared to other
    cultures?
    > There are more fat people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.
    >

    > Steven G.

  8. Kevin Knorpp

    Kevin Knorpp Guest

    Dude! Where have you been!!! I've been looking for you!! Guess what? Tara and I live in
    Lexington, KY now!!!!!! How are things going? Are you still in Atlanta? I tried looking you up,
    but no luck.....

    Also, had to post this here b/c your e-mail address doesn't work...

    My e-mail address is [email protected]

    "Steve Gaylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/010/metro/Framingham_data_cited_in_obesity_
    > study+.shtml
    >
    > Framingham data cited in obesity study
    >
    > A study using data from the well-known Framingham Heart Study shows that people who are fat during
    > middle age are shaving years off their lives and causing as much damage to their health as
    > smoking.
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > A healthy weight is a BMI of less than 25. For example, a 5-foot-6-inch adult is considered
    > overweight at 155 pounds, and obese at 186 pounds
    >
    > [article end]
    >

    > http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm
    >
    > BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI
    > of 30 or greater
    >
    > [article end]
    >

    > A 5'11" male weighing more than 175 lbs. would be overweight.
    >
    > Most of the Masters Racers I know weigh more than that. They get enough exercise, but it seems a
    > little dieting would be in order. Especially
    since
    > most of them consider themselves to be "athletes".
    >
    > Why is it that our culture consumes so much food compared to other
    cultures?
    > There are more fat people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.
    >

    > Steven G.

  9. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:02:47 GMT, "Steve Gaylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm
    >
    >BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI of
    >30 or greater

    BMI is worthless if you're doing anything besides sitting on the couch inhaling twinkies.

    So I'm going to get ridiculed if I show up for a Cat 5 crit at 6'1", 210lb and 8% bf?

    -Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
    children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their week's
    exercise."
    - John F. Kennedy, 1962

  10. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 1/10/03 9:48 PM, in article BA44FE39.1EF13%[email protected], "Steven
    L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > in article BA44AF92.1A879%[email protected], steve at [email protected] wrote on 01/10/2003
    > 06:12 PM:
    >
    >> HEY!! I resemble that remark!!
    >>
    >> Steve
    >> 28.4 BMI (much more "muscle" than the average cyclist)
    >> Ps. Remember.....muscle is 3x more than fat
    >>
    >> My regular nicknames through the years:
    >>
    >> thunder thighs frog legs
    >

    > And FATTIE STEVIE!!!!!!

    Sorry "prison boy" skinny Stevie....................

    That came from your boyfriend Henrietta only

    >> On 1/10/03 5:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Steve Gaylor"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe2/010/metro/Framingham_data_cited_in_obesity_ study+.shtml
    >>>
    >>> Framingham data cited in obesity study
    >>>
    >>> A study using data from the well-known Framingham Heart Study shows that people who are fat
    >>> during middle age are shaving years off their lives and causing as much damage to their health
    >>> as smoking.
    >>>
    >>> [snip]
    >>>
    >>> A healthy weight is a BMI of less than 25. For example, a 5-foot-6-inch adult is considered
    >>> overweight at 155 pounds, and obese at 186 pounds
    >>>
    >>> [article end]
    >>>

    >>> http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm
    >>>
    >>> BMI Categories: Underweight = <18.5 Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI
    >>> of 30 or greater
    >>>
    >>> [article end]
    >>>

    >>> A 5'11" male weighing more than 175 lbs. would be overweight.
    >>>
    >>> Most of the Masters Racers I know weigh more than that. They get enough exercise, but it seems a
    >>> little dieting would be in order. Especially since most of them consider themselves to be
    >>> "athletes".
    >>>
    >>> Why is it that our culture consumes so much food compared to other cultures? There are more fat
    >>> people at a USCF race than there is in the street in Paris.
    >>>

    >>> Steven G.
    >>>

    > --
    >
    > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee
    > why you ti ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    > double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "Steve Gaylor" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > >
    > > > There are more fat people at a USCF race than there is in the street
    in
    > > > Paris.
    >
    > You think Parisians stand around looking at each other and say, "T'es affute, toi, mon salopard"?

    Translation please? What is "affute"?

    > > I'll testify to that. Americans stand out like a rat in a cage full of mice in Paris.
    >
    > One of the easiest places to spot the difference is in restaurants. No,
    not
    > what or how much they're eating--the Americans usually aren't the ones chain-smoking through the
    > entire meal.

    I didn't mean to imply that French were healthy but in France and Switzerland I didn't see a single
    fat person in two weeks that wasn't speaking English.

  12. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:06:56 -0500, Daniel Mendoza <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In an article I read a couple years ago, BMI was dissed and ran ragged to the ground. Reason? The
    >arguably fittest boxer, Evander Holyfield, was deemed overweight using BMI. His aerobic and
    >anaerobic capacities were incredible (resting heart rate of roughly 40 if I remember correctly) and
    >nobody can doubt his strength. However, the silly little number said he was overweight and thus at
    >risk for heart diease, etc. A better indicator is %body fat IMHO.
    >
    >Daniel

    Fat people will dismiss the results of ANY test that shows them to be fat.

    The BMI is only a general guideline and not meant to be an absolute indicator of health.

    To use a superbly conditioned althlete as an example of why the test is fauly is really foolish.

    Are you fat Daniel?

    Sparhawk

  13. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > One of the easiest places to spot the difference is in restaurants. No,
    not
    > what or how much they're eating--the Americans usually aren't the ones chain-smoking through the
    > entire meal.

    My German housemate used to say he was having a "French breakfast" -- coffee and a cigarette!

    Matt O.

  14. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The French laugh at low-fat diets.

    That's because you have to get your calories wherever you can, in a city where an apple
    costs 2 bucks!

    Matt O.

  15. Canuck

    Canuck Guest

    "Daniel Mendoza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In an article I read a couple years ago, BMI was dissed and ran ragged to the ground. Reason? The
    > arguably fittest boxer, Evander Holyfield, was deemed overweight using BMI. His aerobic and
    > anaerobic capacities were incredible (resting heart rate of roughly 40 if I remember correctly)
    > and nobody can doubt his strength. However, the silly little number said he
    was
    > overweight and thus at risk for heart diease, etc. A better indicator is %body fat IMHO.
    >
    > Daniel

    Bad example. Holyfield's fought in the light-heavyweight division as an amateur. He moved up to the
    heavyweight division when he turned professional.

    How do you think boxers gain that much muscle mass? Most likely the same way football players do it.

    Either that or 300lb. high school lineman occur 'naturally'.

    Mmmm hmmmm.

    BTW, I'd also wager that being a professional boxer or football player may have the same deleterious
    effects on health that obesity does.

  16. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<iXKT9.4149
    >
    > > Second, keep in mind that calculation of BMI only gives an estimate or predictor of body
    > > composition, i.e., it
    doesn't
    > > distinguish between people who are overfat or those who are merely overweight (due, e.g., to
    > > high lean body mass).
    > >

    > Their conclusion has to be taken as it's bad to be heavy, regardless of what the composition of
    > that weight is.

    Well, on average it is bad to be heavy, i.e., most people who are overweight are so because they're
    overfat, not because of excessive lean body mass. A two-step approach could be proposed (i.e., use
    BMI as an initial screening tool, and if it is over a certain value, suggest that a more detailed
    assessment of body composition be performed), but the number of people who would be more properly
    classified using this approach would be quite small.

    Andy Coggan

  17. in article BA44F82F.1A916%[email protected], steve at [email protected] wrote on
    01/10/2003 11:22 PM:

    > On 1/10/03 9:48 PM, in article BA44FE39.1EF13%[email protected], "Steven
    > L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> And FATTIE STEVIE!!!!!!
    >
    > Sorry "prison boy" skinny Stevie....................

    "Prison boy" skinny???? HA!

    I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 181 lbs. I'm fat and I know it.

    > That came from your boyfriend Henrietta only

    Sweetie Stevie ... he was obsessed with you, not me. And it seemed you had a similar
    obsession back ...

  18. Tom Kunich wrote:
    >> You think Parisians stand around looking at each other and say, "T'es affute, toi, mon salopard"?
    >
    > Translation please? What is "affute"?

    Search for that phrase (using the "") on Google.

  19. Sparhawk wrote:

    > Fat people will dismiss the results of ANY test that shows them to be fat.

    wrong. i know plenty of fat people and most of them admit to it. why, just to take an example from
    rbr, henry chang has admitted to his fat problem at least once, iirc.

    heather