Fat People and Bike Racing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Gaylor, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Suz

    Suz Guest

    > "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA472311.1AC2C%[email protected]...

    AAGGGHHHHhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Gee Steve, thanks for that brilliant statement, it took like 45 seconds to open. Whadja do, tape
    down the ! key and go take a dump or something?

  2. Suz wrote:

    > Somatotyping gives a far more complete description of
    > > physical "type." If you "knew somatotyping," had never heard of Greg Lemond, and I said "Lemond
    > > is a 2-6-3" you would instantly have better picture in your mind of his physical appearance and
    > > makeup than if a simple height to mass ratio alone was given. Powerful and conditioned athletes
    > > are never misidentified as "overweight" when the somatotyping method is used.
    >
    > Oh c'mon, share with the class what somatotyping is!

    http://us.cambridge.org/titles/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521351170

  3. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

  4. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:18:28 -0500, Daniel Mendoza <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Actually, no I'm not fat. I would be willing to bet you are far fatter than I am, Sparhawk. I was
    >just trying to state that no test if foolproof. Sure, there are fat racers but as a norm (as has
    >been agreed for the most part), most athletes can have higher BMIs because of different factors
    >such as higher bone density and greater muscle mass. Do you have muscle mass, Sparhawk?

    Yes I do, want to see it? <g>

    I'm 6' 1" and 170 lbs., used to workout with weights 5 days a week now only 3 days a week and only
    to keep "toned", not looking to build big muscles.

    Do pushup's and Computrainer workouts also., 5 - 6 days a week.

    Ride outdoors weather permitting, I'm retired from the Air Force so I am either riding my bike,
    working out or sailing when not on the computer.

    Sparhawk

  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 1/11/03 3:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan Gringioni"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BA4509C7.1EF25%[email protected]...
    >> in article BA44F82F.1A916%[email protected], steve at [email protected] wrote on 01/10/2003
    >> 11:22 PM:
    >>
    >>> On 1/10/03 9:48 PM, in article BA44FE39.1EF13%[email protected],

    >>> Sorry "prison boy" skinny Stevie....................
    >>

    >> "Prison boy" skinny???? HA!
    >>
    >> I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 181 lbs. I'm fat and I know it.
    >>

    >>> That came from your boyfriend Henrietta only
    >>

    >> Sweetie Stevie ... he was obsessed with you, not me. And it seemed you
    > had
    >> a similar obsession back ...
    >

    > Those 2 guys are whacked out.
    >
    > I like that photo that Fattie Stevie posted of himself last year. Very flattering. I've never seen
    > a finer athletic specimen.
    >
    > Does anyone have that link? I'd like to make it my wallpaper.

    <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/steve_t.jpg>

    <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/IMG_0270.JPG

  6. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Per Elms├Ąter wrote:
    > "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>I didn't mean to imply that French were healthy but in France and Switzerland I didn't see a
    >>>single fat person in two weeks that wasn't speaking English.
    >>>

    >>My cousins in France have frequently made a similar comment. We Americans are rather
    >>conspicuous...
    >>

    > The same is true here in Sweden. Unfortunately we have started to adapt to
    > U.S eating habits which is starting to show now. A lot more kids are overweight today than when I
    > was a kid. Physicians are starting to get worried and the papers do a lot of writeups about it.
    >
    > Myself I think it's eating what I call "factory food", not only junk food. Ie food prepared in a
    > factory, canned or packaged together with a bunch of additives that are not healthy. Now that's
    > just my two cents worth.

    I think it's a change of lifestyle rather than eating habits. Nobody walks in L.A. The only people
    who get excercise these days are the ones that have sports as hobbies, and a few that just go to the
    gym. Kids sit around watching TV or playing video games instead of riding their bikes.

    Greg

  7. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

  8. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Mike Elliott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes
    > compellingly...
    > >
    > > "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > People say the same thing about New York, Tokyo, etc., and it may be true if you are buying an
    > > > apple in a resturant and not from a street fruit/vegatable store.
    > >
    > > No, in Tokyo they're 4 bucks.
    > >

    > And they are the best darned apples you've ever eaten. The Japanese take their food very
    > seriously.

    This is true. And the French do too.

    How 'bout those $80 cantaloupes?

    Matt O.

  9. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    Was this photo taken along the San Lorenzo river in Felton?? "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:BA47013D.1AB78%[email protected]...
    > On 1/11/03 3:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan
    > Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:BA4509C7.1EF25%[email protected]...
    > >> in article BA44F82F.1A916%[email protected], steve at
    [email protected]

    > > "Steven

    > >> "Prison boy" skinny???? HA!
    > >>
    > >> I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 181 lbs. I'm fat and I know it.

    > >> Sweetie Stevie ... he was obsessed with you, not me. And it seemed you
    > > had
    > >> a similar obsession back ...
    > >

    > > Those 2 guys are whacked out.
    > >
    > > I like that photo that Fattie Stevie posted of himself last year. Very flattering. I've never
    > > seen a finer athletic specimen.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have that link? I'd like to make it my wallpaper.
    > >

    > <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/steve_t.jpg>
    >
    > <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/IMG_0270.JPG

  10. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    news:6GjU9.1313$%[email protected]...

    > I think it's a change of lifestyle rather than eating habits. Nobody
    walks
    > in L.A. The only people who get excercise these days are the ones that have sports as hobbies, and
    > a few that just go to the gym. Kids sit
    around
    > watching TV or playing video games instead of riding their bikes.

    Actually, people walk a lot more in LA than they do in middle 'merica, and it shows. Coming from
    southern CA, the rampant, extreme obesity here in the south is shocking. I'm not saying that to be
    inflammatory or mean -- it really is shocking.

    In comparison to CA, virtually no one past college age has *playing* sports as a hobby, except maybe
    golf. Sometimes you'd think there was nothing else in life besides *watching* football.

    In southern CA, tons of adults *play* softball, basketball, soccer, etc., in community and corporate
    leagues. They can't build baseball fields fast enough to accomodate them. Sports bars and pizza
    joints are full of such teams on week nights. Not to mention all the surfers, mountain bikers,
    runners, paddlers, etc. It may not be everyone, but it's a higher percentage than most of the US.

    And people really *do* walk in LA. Sure there's a lot of suburban sprawl, but there are also great,
    walkable city neighborhoods, full of people who appreciate them as such. If you're familiar with LA,
    I'm sure you could think of half a dozen, without even trying.

    Sadly, it's true about the lifestyle change among kids. This has been discussed many times here on
    rec.bicycles.

    Matt O.

  11. Jim H.

    Jim H. Guest

    > > And they are the best darned apples you've ever eaten. The Japanese take their food very
    > > seriously.
    >
    > This is true. And the French do too.
    >
    > How 'bout those $80 cantaloupes?
    >
    > Matt O.

    In the US with a couple of drinks on, anyone can spend more than that just watching a pair of those
    moving in front of you

  12. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    > How 'bout those $80 cantaloupes?

    Hell, I know a couple of women who have spent almost $5000 to get a good pair of melons!

  13. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Chorizo Gorge in East San Diego County

    On 1/12/03 1:03 PM, in article [email protected], "waxxer"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Was this photo taken along the San Lorenzo river in Felton?? "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:BA47013D.1AB78%[email protected]...
    >> On 1/11/03 3:02 PM, in article [email protected], "Kurgan
    >> Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:BA4509C7.1EF25%[email protected]...
    > [email protected]

    >>> "Steven

    >>> had
    >>>

    >>> Those 2 guys are whacked out.
    >>>
    >>> I like that photo that Fattie Stevie posted of himself last year. Very flattering. I've never
    >>> seen a finer athletic specimen.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have that link? I'd like to make it my wallpaper.
    >>>

    >> <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/steve_t.jpg>
    >>
    >> <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/IMG_0270.JPG>

  14. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  15. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Geez, no wonder that Henry called you fat. You're so heavy you've broken one of the fork legs clean
    off of that bike.

    Now I only have one question. Seeing as how your bicepts are bigger than Henry's thighs why were you
    letting yourself be baited by him? Being called fat by someone that could easily walk through the
    eye of a needle isn't exactly an insult.

    "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA4718C3.1AC24%[email protected]...
    > Chorizo Gorge in East San Diego County On 1/12/03 1:03 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "waxxer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Was this photo taken along the San Lorenzo river in Felton?? "steve" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > in message news:BA47013D.1AB78%[email protected]...

    > > [email protected]

    > >> <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/steve_t.jpg>
    > >>
    > >> <http://www.printemp.com/sdbc/IMG_0270.JPG>

  16. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Jim H." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:0GaU9.8498$%[email protected]...

    > > > And they are the best darned apples you've ever eaten. The Japanese
    take
    > > > their food very seriously.
    > >
    > > This is true. And the French do too.
    > >
    > > How 'bout those $80 cantaloupes?
    > >
    > > Matt O.
    > >
    > In the US with a couple of drinks on, anyone can spend more than that just watching a pair of
    > those moving in front of you

    You have the decimal point wrong. Those are the $8000 cantaloupes.

    Matt O.

  17. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    "Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Ride outdoors weather permitting, I'm retired from the Air Force so I am either riding my bike,
    > working out or sailing when not on the computer.
    >
    > Sparhawk

    Do you like sunsets and long walks on the beach as well? I vote you Starsearch Spokesmodel of
    the week! :)

    Danny Callen

  18. Sparhawk

    Sparhawk Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:23:27 -0500, "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Sparhawk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >> Ride outdoors weather permitting, I'm retired from the Air Force so I am either riding my bike,
    >> working out or sailing when not on the computer.
    >>
    >> Sparhawk
    >>

    >Do you like sunsets and long walks on the beach as well? I vote you Starsearch Spokesmodel of the
    >week! :)
    >
    >Danny Callen

    Like they say: "Life's a beach" :->

    Sparhawk