Fat people? Less gas!

Bob Ward wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:32:48 -0600, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Bob Ward wrote:

>>> You keep wanting to project as fact that an older car cannot be
>>> reliable.

>> Depends on a lot of factors. But you will not convince me that the 15+
>> year old vehicles some go on and on about will be reliable without
>> anything short of a full rebuild, which is NOT economical.

> Why should I feel compelled to convince you of anything?

You are arguing with me on Usenet, no?

Tradition is the worst rational for action.

Jerry Bauer wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:34:02 -0800, Tom Sherman wrote
> (in article <[email protected]>):
>
>> Opus the Penguin wrote:
>>> A while back the Corolla (now gone) had
>>> persistent problems with the cooling system. The mechanics never
>>> figured out what was up with that. But it didn't mean I couldn't get
>>> in the car and drive it for 120 miles. I just needed to make sure it
>>> was filled with water.
>>>

>> That would annoy me to no end.

> Plus, you'd get all wet.

If I need to carry water, I will take the 1-ton with the 400 gallon tank
in the bed, not a Corolla full of water. ;)

Jerry Bauer wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:34:02 -0800, Tom Sherman wrote
> (in article <[email protected]>):
>
>> Opus the Penguin wrote:
>>> A while back the Corolla (now gone) had
>>> persistent problems with the cooling system. The mechanics never
>>> figured out what was up with that. But it didn't mean I couldn't get
>>> in the car and drive it for 120 miles. I just needed to make sure it
>>> was filled with water.
>>>

>> That would annoy me to no end.

> Plus, you'd get all wet.

If I need to carry water, I will take the 1-ton with the 400 gallon tank
in the bed, not a Corolla full of water. ;)

Tradition is the worst rational for action.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:12:55 -0500, Lee Ayrton <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You aren't presenting that `55 as a street rod, you present it as a
>"proper[ly] [maintained] and repair[ed]" vintage automobile that is in
>"better shape" as a result of that activity than a modern vehicle. You
>omitted the fact that it had been heavily modified, making it not a fair
>comparison.

But not claiming that it was a daily driver - just pointing out that
age is not a criteria for the disposition of a car in all cases, and
refuting the statement that insurance would never replace a loss for
other than book value.

Jerry Bauer wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 03:21:41 -0800, Tom Sherman wrote
> (in article <[email protected]>):
>

>> Do you live in an area where road salt is excessive? In the upper
>> Midwest, salt corrosion eventually causes problems with any vehicle that
>> is driven year around, and this extends beyond cosmetic body rust to
>> brakes, shift linkages, wheels, wheel bearings, suspension parts,
>> exhaust systems, etc.

> Well, there's your problem. You live in the wrong place!

Well, we do not have earthquakes, forest fires, landslides, hurricanes
or a water shortage here by the Great Lakes. :)

Jerry Bauer wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 03:21:41 -0800, Tom Sherman wrote
> (in article <[email protected]>):
>

>> Do you live in an area where road salt is excessive? In the upper
>> Midwest, salt corrosion eventually causes problems with any vehicle that
>> is driven year around, and this extends beyond cosmetic body rust to
>> brakes, shift linkages, wheels, wheel bearings, suspension parts,
>> exhaust systems, etc.

> Well, there's your problem. You live in the wrong place!

Well, we do not have earthquakes, forest fires, landslides, hurricanes
or a water shortage here by the Great Lakes. :)

Tradition is the worst rational for action.

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:22:42 -0800, "Bill Bonde ( 'Hi ho' )"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>About the only thing that pickups are better at than station wagons,
>that and odd sized loads. Of course by having a small trailer for those
>times you take out the trash, even that is possible without mussing the
>interior and you get much more enclosed space, kind of a good thing when
>you are zooming down the road at 65 mph in the rain.

While pulling a trailer?

Thanks for confirming your stupidity.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Jerry Bauer wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 03:21:41 -0800, Tom Sherman wrote
>> (in article <[email protected]>):
>>

>>> Do you live in an area where road salt is excessive? In the upper
>>> Midwest, salt corrosion eventually causes problems with any vehicle that
>>> is driven year around, and this extends beyond cosmetic body rust to
>>> brakes, shift linkages, wheels, wheel bearings, suspension parts,
>>> exhaust systems, etc.

>> Well, there's your problem. You live in the wrong place!

> Well, we do not have earthquakes, forest fires, landslides, hurricanes
> or a water shortage here by the Great Lakes. :)

Boring! ;)

(For the record, I spent my first 34 years in salt-encrusted Michigan.)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Lee Ayrton wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Bob Ward wrote:

>>> A toy is not a daily commuter/business travel vehicle.

>> That was never stated, inferred, or implied.

> Well, Bob, let's see what you wrote farther up, in context:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.cecil-adams/msg/ff9571506f10cab0
> [begin quote -- attribution marks as in the original]------------------
>
>>> See, the trouble is, you're not driving an old-enough car.

>> Get much older and all the rubber parts start to go.

>> Late 1980s to early 1990s cars are to be avoided at all costs, due to
>> those stupid motorized seatbelts.

> Again - it all comes down to proper maintenance and repair. I have a
> friend who owns and drives a 1955 Chevy. He's owned the car for over
> forty years. I suspect it is in considerably better shape than the
> current disposable car you seem to be so proud of will be in five
> years.
>
> Since there is no "book value" on a 1955 Chevy, he has an agreed value
> policy that places its value at $45,000, and can provide independent
> appraisals and comparables to support it.
>
> You aren't presenting that `55 as a street rod, you present it as a
> "proper[ly] [maintained] and repair[ed]" vintage automobile that is in
> "better shape" as a result of that activity than a modern vehicle. You
> omitted the fact that it had been heavily modified, making it not a fair
> comparison....

Indeed. I doubt even the most die-hard Chevy fanatic would claim that a
1995 Chevy would hold up to 40+ years of regular commuting use, with
just regular maintenance.