Fat people? Less gas!

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>> But us non-cyclists don't seem to proselytize to the cyclists.
>>

>No, you just disparage us.

Yeah, the same way I disparage the Jehovah's Witnesses when they come
calling. I didn't come knocking on your door, you came knocking on
mine.

Richard Evans wrote:
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> But us non-cyclists don't seem to proselytize to the cyclists.
>>>

>> No, you just disparage us.

> Yeah, the same way I disparage the Jehovah's Witnesses when they come
> calling. I didn't come knocking on your door, you came knocking on
> mine.

No, I did not. This is a public forum, not email.

Tradition is the worst rational for action.

Richard Evans wrote:
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> But us non-cyclists don't seem to proselytize to the cyclists.
>>>

>> No, you just disparage us.

> Yeah, the same way I disparage the Jehovah's Witnesses when they come
> calling. I didn't come knocking on your door, you came knocking on
> mine.

No, I did not. This is a public forum, not email.

Tradition is the worst rational for action.

In article <[email protected]>,
Greg Goss <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> You mean without a clutch? Maybe. I swore off stick after getting
> >> caught in a 50-mile stop-and-go traffic jam out of D.C. one afternoon.

> >The six speed DSG transmission my 2006 VW Jetta has two clutches, but no
> >clutch pedal. EPA mileage figure with the DSG is slightly better than
> >the same car with a manual.

> What is DSG an acronym for? I drive a manual because I don't like the
> gas mileage losses of the transfer case. If a self-clutched automatic
> could handle things as well as I do, I'd be glad to delegate that.
> But not enough to consider a VW.

DSG is an acronym for Direct Shift Gearbox.

An explanation of how it works is at the bottom of this page:
<http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/gearbox/tech_gear_manual.htm>

> >Roughly half the gas stations in this area have diesel fuel. Finding
> >diesel isn't much of a problem, especially since the car has a 500 mile
> >range with a full tank.

> I did consider a diesel last fall and winter. But the only
> ultracompact car being sold into my market is overpriced and TOO
> ultracompact, even for me. Diesel has more energy per gallon, and
> sells cheaper than gas in my market. As a gas mileage bigot, I want.
> (I realize that you were asking someone else the question)

Smart Car?

--

Erich

> [...]

> >range with a full tank.

> I did consider a diesel last fall and winter. But the only
> ultracompact car being sold into my market is overpriced and TOO
> ultracompact, even for me. Diesel has more energy per gallon, and
> sells cheaper than gas in my market. As a gas mileage bigot, I want.
> (I realize that you were asking someone else the question)

Smart Car?

--

Erich

Erich <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I did consider a diesel last fall and winter. But the only
>> ultracompact car being sold into my market is overpriced and TOO
>> ultracompact, even for me. Diesel has more energy per gallon, and
>> sells cheaper than gas in my market. As a gas mileage bigot, I want.
>> (I realize that you were asking someone else the question)

Yup. I'm in Canada where the Smart has been available for a few
years. 800 cc turbo diesel in a damn-near trunkless car. I ended up
with a used Honda Insight. Gasoline/hybrid aluminum two seater that's
merely near-trunkless without the damn.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Erich <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I did consider a diesel last fall and winter. But the only
>> ultracompact car being sold into my market is overpriced and TOO
>> ultracompact, even for me. Diesel has more energy per gallon, and
>> sells cheaper than gas in my market. As a gas mileage bigot, I want.
>> (I realize that you were asking someone else the question)

>Smart Car?

Yup. I'm in Canada where the Smart has been available for a few
years. 800 cc turbo diesel in a damn-near trunkless car. I ended up
with a used Honda Insight. Gasoline/hybrid aluminum two seater that's
merely near-trunkless without the damn.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Erich <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I did consider a diesel last fall and winter. But the only
>> ultracompact car being sold into my market is overpriced and TOO
>> ultracompact, even for me. Diesel has more energy per gallon, and
>> sells cheaper than gas in my market. As a gas mileage bigot, I want.
>> (I realize that you were asking someone else the question)

>Smart Car?

Yup. I'm in Canada where the Smart has been available for a few
years. 800 cc turbo diesel in a damn-near trunkless car. I ended up
with a used Honda Insight. Gasoline/hybrid aluminum two seater that's
merely near-trunkless without the damn.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Greg Goss <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Erich <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I did consider a diesel last fall and winter. But the only
>>> ultracompact car being sold into my market is overpriced and TOO
>>> ultracompact, even for me. Diesel has more energy per gallon, and
>>> sells cheaper than gas in my market. As a gas mileage bigot, I
>>> want. (I realize that you were asking someone else the question)

>>Smart Car?

> Yup. I'm in Canada where the Smart has been available for a few
> years. 800 cc turbo diesel in a damn-near trunkless car. I ended up
> with a used Honda Insight. Gasoline/hybrid aluminum two seater that's
> merely near-trunkless without the damn.

One of my neighbors has a Smart. My husband and I stared at it for a
little while when we were out walking the dog. It looks like it would
get blown off the road the first time a semi goes by.

--
Dover

Dover Beach wrote:

> One of my neighbors has a Smart. My husband and I stared at it for a
> little while when we were out walking the dog. It looks like it would
> get blown off the road the first time a semi goes by.

Doesn't sound very smart to me.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dover Beach wrote:
>
> > One of my neighbors has a Smart. My husband and I stared at it for a
> > little while when we were out walking the dog. It looks like it would
> > get blown off the road the first time a semi goes by.

> Doesn't sound very smart to me.

Sure, but if a semi going by actually blew Smart cars off the road, we'd
have heard by now. Dover saying they *look* like that doesn't make it so.

I've seen some of them parked in very nifty and tiny spots.

Fair to say, though, that they're designed more for urban commutes than
open highway travel.

--
bill
remove my country for e-mail