Fat Tire Amber Ale

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Nyrides, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    Just a tidbit: While traveling in Denver, CO this past week, I had the pleasure of trying Fat Tire
    Amber Ale, which is apparently brewed by a cyclist who was inspired by a brewery-to-brewery biking
    trip in Belgium. The beer itself was very tasty, but the label is the coolest. It's got a color
    drawing of what looks like an old Rollfast balloon tire bike parked under a tree. Neat. I ordered
    three of them just to support the guy!

    Tags:

  2. Glh1013

    Glh1013 Guest

    I agree. I think the label is neat and the beer is very tasty.

    Gary

  3. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just a tidbit: While traveling in Denver, CO this past week, I had the pleasure of trying Fat Tire
    > Amber Ale, which is apparently brewed by a cyclist who was inspired by a brewery-to-brewery biking
    > trip in Belgium. The beer itself was very tasty, but the label is the coolest. It's got a color
    > drawing of what looks like an old Rollfast balloon tire bike parked under a tree. Neat. I ordered
    > three of them just to support the guy!

    New Belgium Brewing was one of the sponsors of this years Bicycle Tour of Colorado
    (http://www.bicycletourcolo.com), so I got a chance to sample a lot of their beer. It's all good.

    Their website is at http://www.newbelgium.com, and their current beer labels can be seen at
    http://www.newbelgium.com/n_ourbeers.shtml

    --
    ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

  4. NYRides wrote:

    >Just a tidbit: While traveling in Denver, CO this past week, I had the pleasure of trying Fat Tire
    >Amber Ale, which is apparently brewed by a cyclist who was inspired by a brewery-to-brewery biking
    >trip in Belgium. The beer itself was very tasty, but the label is the coolest. It's got a color
    >drawing of what looks like an old Rollfast balloon tire bike parked under a tree. Neat. I ordered
    >three of them just to support the guy!

    No need to worry, he is well beyond needing your three-beer support. New Belgium Beers are well
    established - and being one of the better microbrews (he lays off the hops, unlike most µbrews),
    it's a big seller. It is sold in almost every state west of, and including, Missouri.

    As a bartender, I got used to everyone calling it Flat Tire. It seemed like everyone did it -
    without thinking - an easy mental slip. It isn't good for business to laugh at your
    customers, so you learn to ignore it. ("Could I have a flat tire, please ... ... ... better
    yet, two flat tires." )

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it

  5. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    'Didn't expect so many replies to this one. I'll REALLY confess now...My first experience with "Flat
    Tire" beer was at 9:15am at the Denver Airport. I was at the end of a one-day business trip that
    began in NY and just never seemed to end. With my inner clock and sleep cycle thrown all out of
    whack by Wednesday morning (I hadn't had a wink between Sunday night and Tuesday night) I somehow
    ended up sitting in a Mexican restaurant at the airport eating nachos and guacamole and sucking down
    three of these things before I got on the plane. I'm usually a Guinness drinker and, if I have a
    beer at all in an airport, it's usually no more than one. Something about this beer kept saying
    "have another...it's for the advancement of cycling!"

    Anyway, speaking of Colorado, while on a detour trip to REI Sports, I noticed a bike path that
    someone identified as the Cherry Creek Bike Path. He didn't really seem to know, though. It ran
    parallel to Cherry Creek and to an old rail line. Can somebody tell me about this?

    "Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > NYRides wrote:
    >
    > >Just a tidbit: While traveling in Denver, CO this past week, I had the pleasure of trying Fat
    > >Tire Amber Ale, which is apparently brewed by a cyclist who was inspired by a brewery-to-brewery
    > >biking trip in Belgium. The beer itself was very tasty, but the label is the coolest. It's got a
    > >color drawing of what looks like an old Rollfast balloon tire bike parked under a tree. Neat. I
    > >ordered three of them just to support the guy!
    > >
    > No need to worry, he is well beyond needing your three-beer support. New Belgium Beers are well
    > established - and being one of the better microbrews (he lays off the hops, unlike most µbrews),
    > it's a big seller. It is sold in almost every state west of, and including, Missouri.
    >
    > As a bartender, I got used to everyone calling it Flat Tire. It seemed like everyone did it -
    > without thinking - an easy mental slip. It isn't good for business to laugh at your customers, so
    > you learn to ignore it. ("Could I have a flat tire, please ... ... ... better yet, two flat
    > tires." )
    >
    > --
    > *****************************
    > Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it is
    > common.
    > *****************************

  6. Michael Fuhr

    Michael Fuhr Guest

    Chuck Anderson <[email protected]> writes:

    > As a bartender, I got used to everyone calling it Flat Tire. It seemed like everyone did it -
    > without thinking - an easy mental slip. It isn't good for business to laugh at your customers, so
    > you learn to ignore it.

    Many people call it "Flat Tire" intentionally. I do, on those rare occasions when I order one
    because the establishment doesn't have any real beer :->

    --
    Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

  7. Michael Fuhr

    Michael Fuhr Guest

    "NYRides" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Anyway, speaking of Colorado, while on a detour trip to REI Sports, I noticed a bike path that
    > someone identified as the Cherry Creek Bike Path. He didn't really seem to know, though. It ran
    > parallel to Cherry Creek and to an old rail line. Can somebody tell me about this?

    The REI near downtown Denver lies near two shared-use paths: the Cherry Creek Trail and the Platte
    River Greenway.

    The Cherry Creek Trail runs from Confluence Park near REI southeast to Cherry Creek Reservoir. It's
    a nice trail but can be crowded, especially in good weather and on weekends and on the section that
    runs along the creek below street level close to downtown.

    The Platte River Greenway runs from Chatfield Reservoir along the South Platte north to 104th
    Avenue; REI is at about the midpoint of this trail. In most places it's narrower than the Cherry
    Creek Trail but it's not as heavily used, especially the northern part.

    --
    Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

  8. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:31:24 GMT in rec.bicycles.rides, "NYRides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The beer itself was very tasty, but the label is the coolest. It's got a color drawing of what
    > looks like an old Rollfast balloon tire bike parked under a tree. Neat. I ordered three of them
    > just to support the guy!

    performance was selling fat tire beer jerseys last year...

  9. Nick

    Nick Guest

    [email protected] (GLH1013) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I agree. I think the label is neat and the beer is very tasty.
    >
    > Gary

    Fat Tire is a definite post-ride staple :) Although its still good out of the bottle, to me its one
    of those beers thats definitely better in draft if you have the choice.

    If you like the label, you can buy all kinds of Fat Tire Paraphanelia (posters, t-shirts, hats, etc)
    from New Belgium Brewery (http://www.newbelgium.com/). There other beers are pretty good, too
    - Sunshine Wheat makes a tasty summer thirst quencher when its hot outside.

    There's also "Singletrack Copper Ale" - brewed by the Rockies Brewing Company (formerly the Boulder
    Brewery - http://www.boulderbeer.com)- a bit more of a local microbrew than Fat Tire, which is
    really more of a "regional" beer by now. I'm fairly sure singletrack ale was bought out as a
    marketing response to the success of Fat Tire. The beer itself is pretty good, though they recently
    redid their label and I don't really care for the new one - it's got kind of a dorky looking guy and
    girl MTB'er on the front.

    - Nick