FAT workmates

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
I work in an office. Goes without saying, a lot of the staff here dont understand lycra and exercise as the last time they did any exercise was primary school egg & spoon race. Obesity Rules.
I make an effort to avoid them seeing me in my lycra.
Cant really say much to them when they make stupid comments, but I'd like to say:
1. you're jealous, you only have enough energy to move between the couch and fridge
2. you havent seen your belly button in 10 years
etc etc
i will cause unnecessary anguish and trouble for me :-(((
I need some good comebacks !!!

Aussie Steve said:
I work in an office. Goes without saying, a lot of the staff here dont understand lycra and exercise as the last time they did any exercise was primary school egg & spoon race. Obesity Rules.
Cant really say much to them when they make stupid comments, but I'd like to say:
1. you're jealous, you only have enough energy to move between the couch and fridge
etc etc
How about "HTFU fatso".

Aussie Steve said:
Fatty jokes would definitely get me in trouble. I find that deflecting their quips and turning the opportunity into a candid and serious conversation about health tends to shut them up and make them avoid me like the Messenger of Death. :cool:

I mean, c'mon....don't shoot the messenger. :D

frenchyge said:
Fatty jokes would definitely get me in trouble. I find that deflecting their quips and turning the opportunity into a candid and serious conversation about health tends to shut them up and make them avoid me like the Messenger of Death. :cool:

I mean, c'mon....don't shoot the messenger. :D

Everyone is afraid of me at work, so I have no answer for you... :D

I almost feel like the fat one in my office and I train 6 days a week. I am probably leaner than most, but since I am a former competitive bodybuilder I look thick (fat) in my work clothes standing next to the other cyclists in the office.

Amazingly in my small office just about everyone looks in shape. One lady is a very good triathlete, another guy is a Cat3, but I'm just a bloated club rider :eek:

The other few are pretty active in general.

Aussie Steve said:
etc etc
You have it easy. You don't have to put any money into a 401K because you'll be dead before you are sixty.

Felt_Rider said:
I almost feel like the fat one in my office and I train 6 days a week. I am probably leaner than most, but since I am a former competitive bodybuilder I look thick (fat) in my work clothes standing next to the other cyclists in the office.

Amazingly in my small office just about everyone looks in shape. One lady is a very good triathlete, another guy is a Cat3, but I'm just a bloated club rider :eek:

The other few are pretty active in general.

Felt Rider is the ****. Period (former Mr USA contestant).

My greatest accomplishment was closing the Captains of Crush #3 once....once (see Johnny Dangerously). Can do the #2 10-15 reps on good day.

Felt Rider rules (I was a former wannabe bodybuilder...shoulda taken roids...) :rolleyes:

Aussie Steve said:
etc etc

Bulk up. ;)

I've actually lost significant muscle up top and people are still scared of me, must be the 'look'.... :rolleyes:

Got a great boost the other day crushing a "Trek Madone 5.9" rider who belittled me and my steed before the ass-whooping...

Meek One said:
Got a great boost the other day crushing a "Trek Madone 5.9" rider who belittled me and my steed before the ass-whooping...

They found him in a ditch a little ways down the road...

Kidding. :p

Meek One said:

My greatest accomplishment was closing the Captains of Crush #3 once....once (see Johnny Dangerously). Can do the #2 10-15 reps on good day.

Felt Rider rules (I was a former wannabe bodybuilder...shoulda taken roids...) :rolleyes:
I wish, but it was Coastal USA that I won in my class.
I think I would have been destroyed at the USA. :)

I think my wife rules at the house. She seems to know if I leave a dirty dish in the sink or drink milk straight out of the jug even if she happens to be in a different room. She runs a tight ship.:)

Steve,

i hear ya. my father-in-law calls me "Mr Speedo", or "Captain Spandex" whenever i see him, and my co-workers say "Here he comes in his superman outfit". I won't even go into the whole shaving of the legs comments.

It just goes with the culture of busting balls, but believe me, underneath, most people,envy and admire the commitment it takes to commute/ride like we all do. And trust me, if it's the fatties who are giving you the lame comments....rest assured, they're driving home only to get there and be more miserable than you could imagine. brush it off. if you try to get them with a sharp comeback, they know they've got you irritated which drops you to their level. When i first started commuting into work, i felt the same way about being seen in my bike outfits...and i work in a teaching hospital and have to trapse through the halls.

Sometimes, I'll just say something stupid like "oh, you guys didn't get the email...this is the new work uniform". or " i robbed some guy of his bike on the way" etc. That way they know i don't care, but i don't come off like a **** trying to insult them. In the end, the only person's opinion that really matters is yours.

6000K's of commuting so far this year and i'm still showing up everyday with my spandex!

-Mike

Whenever any fat ass comments badly about cycling or spandex or the like I always ask them how many times they have been layed in the past month. :cool:

Meek One said:

If you closed a No. 3, then that is a big accomplishment in its own right and you should get it certified on the website. There are less than 150 guys ever, many of them strong men, that can close a no 3. I train with the No. 1 and can close the No 2 for a rep or two. I am finding that switching to kettlebells is improving hand strength, but my hands do look like a ditch diggers with thick callouses. Rings and pullups also seem to help. I have relatively small hands so the grippers are tough in terms of getting the same leverage a larger guy can get on them, but I keep working. I also can't say that resistance training does much for me on the bike. good luck. I will look for you on the CoC Wall of fame.

Felt_Rider said:
I wish, but it was Coastal USA that I won in my class.
I think I would have been destroyed at the USA. :)

I think my wife rules at the house. She seems to know if I leave a dirty dish in the sink or drink milk straight out of the jug even if she happens to be in a different room. She runs a tight ship.:)
Listen, success in bodybuilding does translate directly in "ruling." Look how Arnold parlayed the Mr. Universe to the Governor's mansion. Also, starring in "Predator" would have helped-- Arnold and Jesse Ventura both became governors.

Your wife's issues are mutually inconsistent. Obviously, drinking directly from the jug eliminates the need for you to dirty a glass which would just end up in the sink anyway. She should praise you for saving energy and eliminating waste. Now if you do what I do, and drink from the jug and then leave the jug on top of the fridge until it spoils (because you forgot about it while you eat leftovers while standing in the fridge doorway) then maybe she has a legitimate gripe. Leaving your grazing fork directly in the leftovers in the fridge you just emptied is also a nice touch. And don't forget leaving about an ounce of milk in the jug in the fridge also keeps wives honest. But more appropriately, mix your wet riding clothes in with her very expensive clothes in the laundry basket until the whole basket ripens, your wife will know that you really rule the roost. Or better yet, switch a load of laundry, take your own bib shorts and jerseys out to line dry, but then throw your wife's delicate lingere in a HIGH/COTTON setting in the dryer for about 50 minutes. She will know very quickly, who's really running her world.

If you train wives in this fashion, they will really apreciate a nice gesture like leaving a dish in the sink as opposed to under the couch where a less courteous husband leaves it.

Felt_Rider said:
I guess we know who wears the HTFU bracelet in that household. :D

Which CoC number corresponds to the resistance of a puny-man's neck? :)

kopride said:
Listen, success in bodybuilding does translate directly in "ruling." Look how Arnold parlayed the Mr. Universe to the Governor's mansion. Also, starring in "Predator" would have helped-- Arnold and Jesse Ventura both became governors.

Your wife's issues are mutually inconsistent. Obviously, drinking directly from the jug eliminates the need for you to dirty a glass which would just end up in the sink anyway. She should praise you for saving energy and eliminating waste. Now if you do what I do, and drink from the jug and then leave the jug on top of the fridge until it spoils (because you forgot about it while you eat leftovers while standing in the fridge doorway) then maybe she has a legitimate gripe. Leaving your grazing fork directly in the leftovers in the fridge you just emptied is also a nice touch. And don't forget leaving about an ounce of milk in the jug in the fridge also keeps wives honest. But more appropriately, mix your wet riding clothes in with her very expensive clothes in the laundry basket until the whole basket ripens, your wife will know that you really rule the roost. Or better yet, switch a load of laundry, take your own bib shorts and jerseys out to line dry, but then throw your wife's delicate lingere in a HIGH/COTTON setting in the dryer for about 50 minutes. She will know very quickly, who's really running her world.

If you train wives in this fashion, they will really apreciate a nice gesture like leaving a dish in the sink as opposed to under the couch where a less courteous husband leaves it.
Advice duly noted :D

frenchyge said:

I have to figure a Trainer or 100 pound gripper is more than enough for a puny man. A No1 (140 pounds) is not just something that an average joe can pick up and close. A No 3 is 280 pounds, which is a pretty powerful grip. This company certifies anyone who can close a No 3 and sends a witness out to ensure that it is closed properly. Most of the guys on the list are the types you see on an ESPN strong man competition.

In the early 90s when these grippers first came out, I worked out at a gym frequented by some top level body builders, pro wrestlers and old school strongmen. The gym owner had hands like a first baseman's mitt and couldn't close a 3. He could get about as close as anyone I ever saw, but he couldn't close it. Having exceptionally large hands is a prerequisite. You have to start with the gripper a credit card's width apart, and if you have normal sized hands it is tough to get any leverage from that starting point.

frenchyge said:

I was going to say, "my wife wears the pants and I wear the spandex in my house", but there is just something really wrong sounding about that statement. :)

Aussie Steve said:
etc etc
I am hopelessly unimaginative when it comes to this stuff so I won't be of much help. Fortunately, I can walk right into the locker room almost straight from the bike rack so not too many see me. (Though they do see the stuff hanging to dry in my office.) A couple of times I rode into work wearing a skinsuit (which REALLY leaves little to the imagination) because everything else was in the wash. This was back when they were doing some construction and I had to walk through an office area to get to my office. I'd get the "nice suit" comments, blah, blah, blah. Just turn the other cheek, dude.

I find it really funny that these folks worship 300 pound (135 kg) American football players in lycra, most of whom are barely moving on the field but all 70 kg of me also wearing lycra riding a bike is grounds for calling me all kinds of names.

Aussie Steve said:
I think a straight, stern and confronting;
"You wish you had the confidence to wear this don't you?"
Looking em straight in the eyes usually cuts all the ********.

Or quite seriously,
"Have you tried riding a bike in jeans?"

"I'm comfortable with it, what's your problem tubby?"

"I don't take lifestyle advice from fat people, sorry."

"Life's to short to give a **** about what you think."

"If you want, I could wear nothing? How bout that?"

To a fat person- "No really, you should try lycra, you'd be amazed how far it can stretch!"