fatal glass stab, replace with what tires?

OriginalReaper

Aug 5, 2003
Hello and thanks for clicking

I went into a shadowy alley in a NYC street and came out flat. The puncture sliced my tire across. Inflating shows the gash would open eventually and the tire could fail completely (leaving me riding the tube, bah.)

I've been riding for a while, but as a casual rider, I've never had to replace tires, I just never wore them out.

So I live in NYC. I bike about 2-4 days a week. Potholes everywhere, stop n go traffic, unexpected braking, and all the weather in the world. I don't know what to choose for tire texture.

I tend to ride only in above 50º (fahrenheit) and non-rainy (though wet asphalt is a go) conditions. The two tires I am considering are continental 4season and gatorskin. I don't know which to choose. Maybe gatorskin rear and 4season front (whenever the front needs replacement?)

Thanks

I see your Gatorskin, and raise you a GP 4 seasons. I am about to add another 50km to their 10000+km run without flatting. Goodbye.

I would probably get something like a Gatorskin 25c or the like. I wouldn't go for a 23c tyre for a commuterbike. More like 25-28c.

I use a Panaracer tyre with reflexes on the side so the cars are able to notice me before they ram me from the side. :) 700x28c by the way!

Live in Queens, NYC and put the Continental Ultra Gatorskins in the 700 x 25c size about 2,000 miles ago and have not had a flat since !!! Great ride and overall highly recommended. Be sure to keep them inflated properly ... I use 110-105 in front and 110 in rear works great with these.
Well Worth the $$$$

I had the 4 seasons until they wore out with no porblems and I recently replaced them with Conti 4000s

OriginalReaper said:
Hello and thanks for clicking

I went into a shadowy alley in a NYC street and came out flat. The puncture sliced my tire across. Inflating shows the gash would open eventually and the tire could fail completely (leaving me riding the tube, bah.)

I've been riding for a while, but as a casual rider, I've never had to replace tires, I just never wore them out.

So I live in NYC. I bike about 2-4 days a week. Potholes everywhere, stop n go traffic, unexpected braking, and all the weather in the world. I don't know what to choose for tire texture.

I tend to ride only in above 50º (fahrenheit) and non-rainy (though wet asphalt is a go) conditions. The two tires I am considering are continental 4season and gatorskin. I don't know which to choose. Maybe gatorskin rear and 4season front (whenever the front needs replacement?)

Thanks

Specialized Armadillos. Not the softest tire but awesome for commuting and on the trainer. I was getting them at closeout last year at $1.50 ea.

There didn't appear to be a right or wrong choice, so I chose Gatorskins due to NYC's common glass patches.

Thanks for the input.