Road Cycling · Public discussion

Fatality in D.C.

Started by Badger_South · · Last activity · 95 posts · 2,186 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 July 2004
Last activity
17 August 2004
Original author
Badger_South
Posts
95
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,186
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 95
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Marlene Blanshay said:

    I remember last year I saw the aftermath of a collision between a guy on a
    bike and a roller blader, on a bike path. I'm surprised that doesn't happen
    more often. The guy was lying there unconscious. He actually had a helmet
    on, although it was an old beat up one. He was lying on his back and
    probably smacked the back of his head. Howver, I am sure even the crummy
    helmet was better than nothing. I didn't stick around for the ambulance but
    I am pretty sure he wasn't dead or seriously injured. As for the roller
    blader, she seemed okay.

    Wait, was the roller blader wearing a new helmet, and therefore okay?
    S/he moves as fast, or potentially as fast, as the cyclist, and has
    just as far to fall, on the same pavement.

    H'mmmm....

    -Luigi

  2. S o r n i said:
    Frank Krygowski said:

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:

    ... an excellent post!

    Guess we'll have to take your word for it.

    Bill "if it was so good, why'd you snip it all?" S.

    I assume everyone is using a threaded newsreader. They are standard, of
    course. And part of "netiquette" is to _not_ waste bandwidth by
    needlessly copying an entire post to say "Good post."

    --
    --------------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com,
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  3. "R15757" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Luigi de Guzman wrote in part:

    << I don't want to hear about fatalities here, nor do I want the google
    to record nothing but fatality reports. >>

    Come to think of it, I don't even want to hear about bike-related


    accidents and

    Quoted message said:

    injuries, nagging knee pain, fit problems, greedy shops, loose bolts,


    ripped

    Quoted message said:

    shorts, flat tires, mysterious creaking, wrong-way riders, bonking,


    drivers who

    Quoted message said:

    yell and throw things, taco'd wheels, et cetera.

    Robert
    See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

    ya let's stop writing about cycling altogether! i propose we change the name
    of this group to alt.tightywhiteys.misc

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Marlene Blanshay said:

    And hey, how about those Red Sox? What is Ramirez batting now anyways?

    I dunno; it'll be in the Sporting News. But a Cards/Sox Series
    would be classically great. A Cubs/Sox Series would be too weird.
    An Expos/Sox Series would be as intriguing as Mets/Sox. But not
    anything with the BoSox and those (other) Floridian guys.

    Anyhow, I'll begrudgingly eat pizza with pineapple on it. But I
    might not necessarily agree with it. Especially when the parmesan
    cheese and ground chili gets shaken onto it.

    And when riders take chances without taking appropriate measures
    to survive (especially when it comes to using lights at night,
    and being sober), I concur with you. Despite the helmet stuff.

    cheers, & the Montreal Expos were ripped-off in '89 (where's your
    Moises now!),
    Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  5. "Luigi de Guzman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Marlene Blanshay said:

    I remember last year I saw the aftermath of a collision between a guy on


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bike and a roller blader, on a bike path. I'm surprised that doesn't


    happen

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    more often. The guy was lying there unconscious. He actually had a helmet
    on, although it was an old beat up one. He was lying on his back and
    probably smacked the back of his head. Howver, I am sure even the crummy
    helmet was better than nothing. I didn't stick around for the ambulance


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am pretty sure he wasn't dead or seriously injured. As for the roller
    blader, she seemed okay.

    Wait, was the roller blader wearing a new helmet, and therefore okay?
    S/he moves as fast, or potentially as fast, as the cyclist, and has
    just as far to fall, on the same pavement.

    H'mmmm....

    -Luigi

    I don't think she was wearing a helmet, but I remember her sitting up on
    the grass and she was conscious, maybe a bit dazed or banged up.

  6. Quoted message said:

    In the case in question, I don't have enough data to apportion blame.
    People die in car wrecks all the time; it doesn't stop me or my
    friends from driving. People die in plane crashes all the time; it
    doesn't stop me from flying. People die all the time--it doesn't stop
    me from living.

    My mother called me at work Friday morning to verify that I wasn't
    the dead cyclist. I wasn't.

    But I do know the intersection, it's moderate during that time period
    but it's navigable at any time. Reports vary on what exactly happened,
    the WUSA report disagrees with the WTOP report as to who exactly was
    on which street heading where.

    It seems likely that the cyclist was crunched by the inward side of
    the trailer as the semi turned. It is certain that the bicycle was
    dragged under the truck for a distance before the driver was flagged
    down by passers-by, the photos show the bicycle still under the trailer
    after the truck was stopped.

    This wasn't apparently under the rider's control, it seems apparent
    that if the rider was indeed stopped it's basically an operational
    failure on the part of the truck driver.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  7. Quoted message said:

    Is it light at 5:50am in DC at the end of July?

    Dawnlight, i.e. just before official sunrise. It was clear that day
    on the commute, it could have rained earlier but I don't know, I don't
    get out on the road before 0830.

    Your points about trucks are well taken.

    By the way, the deceased was Marciano Axibal, 63, of Fredericksburg VA.

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  8. Tom Keats said:

    So ... does pineapple /really/ belong on pizza? ;-)

    YES!!!!!

    -km, who only eats pizza if there's pineapple on it

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts

  9. "Jeremy Parker" wrote...

    Quoted message said:

    That said, here in left driving London a quarter of all cyclist
    fataltities arise from left turning trucks. It's nearly always a
    truck, never a car. This is in a country where left turn on red is
    not legal.

    My personal car is a Honda Civic, my work entails driving a 15 passenger
    van. Vehicles passing me on the right (right driving US) are somewhat
    difficult to see when I'm in my Honda; they are much harder to see when I'm
    driving the van. I would guess that this pattern would hold as the trucks
    get bigger, and a bicyclist sneaking up on the inside (right in the US, left
    in the UK) would be all but invisible to the driver of an 18 wheeler.

    Quoted message said:


    The accidents get counted as the truck drivers fault, and they are
    experimenting with ever more complicated mirror systems on trucks,
    even TV monitors now. There's a new approach, too, a notice on the
    back of the truck, "If you can't see me in my mirror, I can't see
    you", which, of course, has to be true.

    Isn't passing on the left ("undertaking"😉 illegal in the UK? That would put
    the cyclist at fault, IMHO.
    "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you" has been on American trucks
    for years.

    Quoted message said:


    No matter whose fault the accidents get counted as, they are
    trivially easy for cyclists to avoid, once they know of the problem.
    Just stay out of the "coffin corner" as it's known here.

    Last month I cycled with my eldest niece from Dublin/Rathfarnham to the Dun
    Laoghaire ferry terminal, where I had to catch a boat to Holyhead, Wales. I
    watched with dismay as she blithely cycled up to the front of lines of cars
    on the left, usually coming to a stop just next to and to the left of a
    large truck (left driving Ireland). I explained to her about the dangers of
    becoming "road pizza", but since my niece had never driven a car in her
    life, much less a large truck, she had no idea of the limits to a motorist's
    visibility. How many of the cyclist fatalities in London involve cyclists
    who have never driven a car, or who rarely drive a car?

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately, here in Britain there's no law about staying "as far
    left as practicable" - I'm not sure DC has that law, either. Nor
    does Britain have any law requiring you to stay in a bike lane if you
    don't feel in the mood, though presumably 14th and Const' don't have
    bike lanes.

    Here in Colorado, "as far right as practicable" means you can move to the
    left for debris, bad pavement, right turn only lanes, etc. We have no law
    requiring cyclists to stay on the cycle path, and the law explicit states
    that a cyclist can use the roadway even if a cycle path is present.
    --
    mark

  10. the black rose said:
    Tom Keats said:

    So ... does pineapple /really/ belong on pizza? ;-)

    YES!!!!!

    -km, who only eats pizza if there's pineapple on it

    pineapple & garlic! yummm..

    oh, & beer.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  11. David Reuteler said:
    the black rose said:
    Tom Keats said:

    So ... does pineapple /really/ belong on pizza? ;-)

    YES!!!!!

    -km, who only eats pizza if there's pineapple on it

    pineapple & garlic! yummm..

    oh, & beer.

    *German* beer.

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts

  12. Quoted message said:

    "Eric S. Sande" [email hidden]

    wrote in part:

    Quoted message said:

    It seems likely that the cyclist was crunched by the inward side of
    the trailer as the semi turned.

    That seemed to me to be the most likely version of events when I read the
    article but the sketchy details weren't enough for me to draw any conclusions.

    Quoted message said:

    This wasn't apparently under the rider's control, it seems apparent
    that if the rider was indeed stopped it's basically an operational
    failure on the part of the truck driver.

    Again, details are lacking and I do agree that the truck driver was at fault
    but not necessarily that the person struck had no control over events. Trucks
    of sufficient length to "clip" anything while turning tend to turn rather
    slowly. Had the person struck been looking in that direction they may have been
    able to avoid being struck fairly easily. That's not to assign blame to the
    deceased but merely to point up how important it is to try to be aware at *all*
    times when in proximity to potential hazards, even when one is "just standing
    there".

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  13. Quoted message said:

    Again, details are lacking and I do agree that the truck driver was at
    fault but not necessarily that the person struck had no control over
    events.

    The problem is that the WTOP (radio) report has the truck turning
    right northbound onto US 1, aka 14th Street, and striking a cyclist
    "standing with his bike". That would be possible but it would mean
    Axibal was on foot and not operating. Also it would imply that the
    truck was moving west on Constitution prior to the turn.

    The WUSA report quotes the MPD as stating that Mr. Axibal was riding
    east on Constitution and the truck was moving north on 14th.

    WJLA has the same information.

    Assuming Mr. Axibal did not run the light at 14th and Constitution,
    to have this collision within a (long) block would have meant that
    either he stopped on Constitution past the light and was tagged at
    the corner OR he was hit in the intersection OR he was hit further
    down the block on Constitution.

    The MPD closed Constitution between 14th and 12th, NOT 14th Street.

    At least WUSA has done at least one follow up story including an
    interview with a WABA person, predictably (and unfortunately) along
    the lines of "highlighting the dangers of riding in traffic".

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  14. the black rose said:

    *German* beer.

    irish, czech, german or english in that order.

    it's actually fairly difficult to gauge which beer goes best with pineapple.
    i'd guess harp. best to have enuf that it no longer matters.

    that's also how i deal with american beer: guinness, guinness, guinness,
    guinness, miller, miller .. ad nauseum.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  15. On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:52:06 -0400, "Eric S. Sande" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    At least WUSA has done at least one follow up story including an
    interview with a WABA person, predictably (and unfortunately) along
    the lines of "highlighting the dangers of riding in traffic".

    Really?

    *sigh*

    I expected better from WABA, really.

    -Luigi

    Quoted message said:
  16. Quoted message said:

    I expected better from WABA, really.

    Those were WUSA's words, in fairness, not WABA's.

    The WABA guy was talking "Share the road".

    --

    _______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
    ------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
    __________306.350.357.38>>[email hidden]__________

  17. "the black rose" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Keats said:

    So ... does pineapple /really/ belong on pizza? ;-)

    YES!!!!!

    -km, who only eats pizza if there's pineapple on it

    Would you guys quit talking about pizza? I did a pretty gnarly 70 miler
    today as my last hurrah before RSVP, and I am *ravenous*. My husband's gone
    to fetch the pies, which are:

    Pie #1: Fontina and mozzarella cheeses, roasted garlic, mushrooms, fresh
    tomatoes, goat cheese, parsley and kalamata olives on an olive oil base
    Pie #2: Salami, italian sausage and mushroom on a red sauce
    plus a
    large "Pagliaccio" salad: green leaf lettuce tossed with garbanzo beans,
    diced red pepper, cheese, salami, red onion

    I can't wait!

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    please substitute yahoo for mousepotato to reply
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  18. David Reuteler said:


    that's also how i deal with american beer: guinness, guinness, guinness,
    guinness, miller, miller .. ad nauseum.

    I always try to stop just before the Miller. Let alone the nauseum.

    --
    --------------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com,
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  19. Quoted message said:

    "Eric S. Sande" [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    The problem is that the WTOP (radio) report has the truck turning
    right northbound onto US 1, aka 14th Street, and striking a cyclist
    "standing with his bike". That would be possible but it would mean
    Axibal was on foot and not operating. Also it would imply that the
    truck was moving west on Constitution prior to the turn.

    The WUSA report quotes the MPD as stating that Mr. Axibal was riding
    east on Constitution and the truck was moving north on 14th.

    WJLA has the same information.

    Assuming Mr. Axibal did not run the light at 14th and Constitution,
    to have this collision within a (long) block would have meant that
    either he stopped on Constitution past the light and was tagged at
    the corner OR he was hit in the intersection OR he was hit further
    down the block on Constitution.

    The MPD closed Constitution between 14th and 12th, NOT 14th Street.

    At least WUSA has done at least one follow up story including an
    interview with a WABA person, predictably (and unfortunately) along
    the lines of "highlighting the dangers of riding in traffic".

    Having seen firsthand on numerous occasions how badly some of them can screw up
    the most basic of facts, I'm biased against putting much faith in electronic
    news media reports. I don't know anything about specific DC media outlets so I
    can only guess how my own SOP on rating reliability of reportage would work
    there-
    Two sources agree, one does not.
    Tentatively accept the majority report but keep an open mind and discount 33%
    of the majority report's content until all the facts are in.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  20. Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:57:58 -0400, <[email hidden]>,

    Frank Krygowski said:
    David Reuteler said:


    that's also how i deal with american beer: guinness, guinness, guinness,
    guinness, miller, miller .. ad nauseum.

    I always try to stop just before the Miller. Let alone the nauseum.

    Lately I've been sampling a friend's various home brews. He's outdone
    himself with a blackberry dark ale. His beer always tastes like more

    Or I'm bumping into kegs of Storm - an East Van micro brewery
    enthusiastically supported by the bicycling community that is in
    return, supported by Storm.

    http://www.gypsymermaid.com/stormbrewing.html.
    --
    zk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.