Fatboy Slim Saves His Cycle from Halfway Between the Gutter and the Skip

pyfd

Guest
Fatboy Slim Saves His Cycle from Halfway Between the Gutter and the
Skip

With Brighton's Specialbike.co.uk

As wish lists for Christmas 06 start to hit Santa's doormat, Brighton's
Specialbike (http://www.specialbike.co.uk) launches a service that
provides perfect presents for bummed out BMX bandits, surf dudes
wanting to pimp up their cruisers or Amelie wannabes who fancy adding a
funky twist to a classic ladies' cycle.

Experts in recycled, rejuvenated, one-of-a-kind personalised cycles,
Specialbike doesn't sell bikes, it builds them. Anyone can drag a
discarded metal corpse from a skip or a dump, think of their ideal
bike, and see the Specialbike team work its magic.

Local celebrity, Norman Cook, had consigned his favourite cycle to the
tip when his wife, Zoe Ball, took it along to Specialbike's workshop.

Paul Topham, owner of Specialbike, says: "Every job is an opportunity
and a challenge; Norm thought his bike was beyond saving but we totally
transformed it and he was over the moon. He truly loves his
'specialbike' which was just a heap of rust when I got it."

He explains: "The Specialbike concept has grown from my belief that the
bicycle is a superb leisure, sport and transport facility. Everyday I
see good quality bikes fall on hard times and end up in landfill
sites."

But Specialbike gives green issues a fresh and funky look. Paul says:
"Just doing them up isn't enough. We wanted to offer our customers
something different and special. Art meets engineering to create the
perfect bike for an individual; our 'specialbikes' are beautiful,
prized possessions."

"The quality of our workmanship is changing people's concept of 'second
hand' - by re-making a bike as a niche, boutique item, it works against
the high volume, low quality manufacturing culture that is so bad for
the environment and so opposed to our values at Specialbike."

Paul assures customers: "Our new venture offers the same levels of
experience, expertise and customer service that made our repair
business South Coast Bikes (http://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk) such a
success."

Customers can find out more about creating their own 'specialbike' by
visiting www.specialbike.co.uk.

View the photo's of Norm with his Specialbike here:

http://specialbike.co.uk/images/norm_paul.jpg
http://specialbike.co.uk/images/norm.jpg

Notes for Editors
Paul Topham set up Specialbike.co.uk in 2006 after successfully running
Brighton's only bike repair workshop, South Coast Bikes for three
years. specialbike.co.uk creates personalised, recycled, one-off bikes
from old or derelict cycles.

Paul Topham, owner, Specialbike
Tel: 01273 202124
Email: [email protected]
Site: www.specialbike.co.uk

Poor lad, he's a multi-millionaire, decides to chuck away his crappy
old cruiser, probably wanting to replace it with a nice carbon racer
or a blinged up full-suzzer.

... and then a month later his wife turns up with the beater all
cleaned up. Cue fake smile, "Wow thanks Zoe.....":(

In article <[email protected]>
PUSHERBOT <[email protected]> wrote:
> Poor lad, he's a multi-millionaire, decides to chuck away his crappy
> old cruiser, probably wanting to replace it with a nice carbon racer
> or a blinged up full-suzzer.
>
> .. and then a month later his wife turns up with the beater all
> cleaned up. Cue fake smile, "Wow thanks Zoe.....":(

People do this sort of thing for sentimental rather than functional or
economic reasons - I've done similar restorations for people who were
happy to spend up to £300 to get their old 3-speed bikes shiny and
functional. You have only to look at the current market for original
Raleigh Choppers to realise there are lots of people who will pay more
than a bike is reasonably worth. Specialbike are just marketing the
idea to bike owners who probably wouldn't think of it or realise that
there are people who will do this sort of work for them.

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:43:34 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>
>PUSHERBOT <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Poor lad, he's a multi-millionaire, decides to chuck away his crappy
>> old cruiser, probably wanting to replace it with a nice carbon racer
>> or a blinged up full-suzzer.
>>
>> .. and then a month later his wife turns up with the beater all
>> cleaned up. Cue fake smile, "Wow thanks Zoe.....":(
>>

>People do this sort of thing for sentimental rather than functional or
>economic reasons - I've done similar restorations for people who were
>happy to spend up to £300 to get their old 3-speed bikes shiny and
>functional. You have only to look at the current market for original
>Raleigh Choppers to realise there are lots of people who will pay more
>than a bike is reasonably worth. Specialbike are just marketing the
>idea to bike owners who probably wouldn't think of it or realise that
>there are people who will do this sort of work for them.

Yeah but this isn't his beloved Chopper from back when he was 11 -
it's a cruiser he bought on a whim when coked out in the US. Worst sin
of all - Zoes' had it finished in in 1970's policebike black. It needs
a red candy bling finish or something along those lines to look the
part.

Just look at poor Normans face in those publicity pics. Not a happy
bunny - and he's usually such a smiley guy.