Fatter tires on road/touring bike

"Sojourner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> BTW, it IS a Trek 420 50 cm with 20.4" top tube length (I did dig that much info up). That top
> tube length (and I don't know if that is absolute or effective) was too long for me. Wish I'd
> bought a Terry instead, but I didn't know they existed back then when I had money and I could have
> afforded a Terry, not now, although they are making a hybrid I might be able to afford when I am
> working again. Of course by that time I might have fat tires and be used to the tricked out 420...

FWIW, I see Terrys all the time on eBay, and they seem to sell for less than they're worth. (I've
been bike-shopping for a friend.) There's a local shop here with a couple of nice used ones in
stock too.

Also, you can make any bike into a "hybrid" by putting on MTB-style handlebars. This is easier and
cheaper than going the other way.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
=
> Also, you can make any bike into a "hybrid" by putting on MTB-style handlebars. This is easier and
> cheaper than going the other way.

Thanks, but stop and think about this for a moment - at 20.4", in the drops, stretched all the way
out - the 420 is still too long for me.

So imagine what would happen if I put MTB/hybrid style handlebars on it and tried to ride sitting up
(and leaning faaaaaar forward....)

<VBG>

I'm just a freak. Even the Terry built-for-women bikes are outside my body stats, though not by near
as much as off-the-rack bikes like Trek. At 5'2", and 30.5" inseam, I am in the middle of the
nearest height range (5'1" to 5'3") and outside (though just a little bit) the inseam range for
those heights (29" to 30"). Longer in the leg means shorter in the torso.

Top tube length is a real problem for me.

Oh well. I guess there are worse things than having trouble finding a bike to fit. And Terry's
aren't THAT far outside my measurements. If I could just afford to buy one now... LOL!

Sojourner