Fattie Master?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kenny

I have to ask: When and by whom is the name "fattie master" invented? What does it stand for and why
is it used so much here?

in article [email protected], Kenny at [email protected] wrote on
06/10/2003 05:25 AM:

> I have to ask: When and by whom is the name "fattie master" invented? What does it stand for and
> why is it used so much here?

I'm pretty sure Henry Chang coined the term. Oldest reference I can find is at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3a28ae3d.55162098
%40news.connectnet.com&rnum=297&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfattie%2Brec.bicycles.rac
ing%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26start%3D290%26sa%3DN%26fi lter%3D0

Danny Callen made a reference to his fat ass, and Henry took it from there. However, the term really
didn't come into its own until Henry and Fattie Stevie "I'm NOT
FAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Taylor started in on each other.

Thankfully, Henry has dropped the Fattie Stevie thing ... too bad Fattie Stevie can't say the same
thing, considering his parrot obsession (or fetish).

--

Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum
pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti
ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you double-yew double-ewe
dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:49:52 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
>> I have to ask: When and by whom is the name "fattie master" invented? What does it stand for and
>> why is it used so much here?
>
>I'm pretty sure Henry Chang coined the term. Oldest reference I can find is at:
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3a28ae3d.55162098
>%40news.connectnet.com&rnum=297&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfattie%2Brec.bicycles.rac
>ing%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26start%3D290%26sa%3DN%26fi lter%3D0

However, if you also count "fat master" then Albright rules supremely: http://groups.google.com/gro-
ups?selm=slrnfbtfl009flj7n.pil.albrigh%40dolphin.upenn.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

Here's an overly sensitive Fattie Master who predates Stevie:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=cqJJ6.75099%24122.14334336%40news1.rdc1.md.home.com

The earliest post combining the ideas of being both a Masters racer and fat, dates from July 1993:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=21kdvdINN9n4%40lynx.unm.edu

the term only applies to California and Florida Geographic's. so dont use it to describe old guys
racing anywhere else, say, Colorado for instance. most masters here are thinner and fitter than
other areas of the nation.

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have to ask: When and by whom is the name "fattie master" invented? What does it stand for and
> why is it used so much here?

I think Kenny's mostly confused by the word master. We tend to call that 'veterans' in Flanders. And
even then that's a breed which hardly exists as folks in general just ride with the club. Use of the
English word 'master' generally implies a notion of supreme excellence, not necessarily related to
age. So for Flemish ears a fat master sounds oxymoronic.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> the term only applies to California and Florida Geographic's. so dont use
it
> to describe old guys racing anywhere else, say, Colorado for instance.
most
> masters here are thinner and fitter than other areas of the nation.

The "it's ok to gain 1 lb./year" is a nationwide sentiment.

"Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I think Kenny's mostly confused by the word master. We tend to call that 'veterans' in Flanders.
> And even then that's a breed
which hardly exists as folks in general
> just ride with the club. Use of the English word 'master' generally implies a notion of supreme
excellence, not necessarily related to
> age. So for Flemish ears a fat master sounds oxymoronic.

It should be oxymoronic in English too. Being 'masterful' at something implies excellence, not age.

Some old ego-meister way back when must've coined that term - to describe the class of racer who
considers himself too old to compete at his best level.

They should switch the 'Seniors' and 'Masters' labels.

'Senior' denotes old people. 'Masters' denotes competence.

So what can we do? Add the word 'Fattie' to the back of 'Master' to bring it all back into
perspective.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> the term only applies to California and Florida Geographic's. so dont use it to describe old guys
> racing anywhere else, say, Colorado for instance. most masters here are thinner and fitter than
> other areas of the nation.
>
>
>
> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have to ask: When and by whom is the name "fattie master" invented? What does it stand for and
> > why is it used so much here?

Yea, and if you call us Colo. masters fatties again, I'm might have to open up a 200# can of
whup-ass on ya!

"Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:49:52 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> >> I have to ask: When and by whom is the name "fattie master" invented? What does it stand for
> >> and why is it used so much here?
> >
> >I'm pretty sure Henry Chang coined the term. Oldest reference I can find
is
> >at:
> >
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3a28ae3d.5516209
>
>%40news.connectnet.com&rnum=297&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dfattie%2Brec.bicycles.ra
c
>
>ing%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26start%3D290%26sa%3DN%26f
i
> >lter%3D0
>
> However, if you also count "fat master" then Albright rules supremely:
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=slrnfbtfl009flj7n.pil.albrigh%40dolphin
.upenn.edu&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

Granted, Andrew started in on "fat masters" before I did.

I'll take credit for "Master's Fattie". "Masters Fattie" has a nice ring to
it.

Bart Van Hoorebeeck wrote:

> I think Kenny's mostly confused by the word master. We tend to call that 'veterans' in Flanders.
> And even then that's a breed which hardly exists as folks in general just ride with the club. Use
> of the English word 'master' generally implies a notion of supreme excellence, not necessarily
> related to age. So for Flemish ears a fat master sounds oxymoronic.

It must have been this confusion that lead a Belgian named Tim Elebaut to join the Boulder Masters
Racing Team this year. He thought he was getting into a team of supreme excellence. They may have
even told him that. :)

We used to call it 'veterans' here too, but the USCF changed that for some reason. I like the
Italian system where I would be in the 'Gentlemen' category.

Bret

"Van Hoorebeeck Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> And even then that's a breed
which hardly exists as folks in general
> just ride with the club. Use of the English word 'master' generally implies a notion of supreme
excellence, not necessarily related to
> age. So for Flemish ears a fat master sounds oxymoronic.
>
Who are the Cyclosportieven en Masters then? It's kind of oxymoronic to clump those
classes together.

It's the masters age people who run the whole show all around the world anyway, so I guess they can
call it what they want. I think anyone <40 shouldn't be in that class though, as the irrevocable
physical decline (tm) takes a while to set in in cyclists. Museeuw's still good at 37, plenty of
riders have won classics in their late 30's etc.

I like the wielertoerist class - some of those guys can kick ****, and although there's no age
limit, they all seem to be 55 and over.

Jeff

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:59:18 +1000, "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote:

>It's the masters age people who run the whole show all around the world anyway, so I guess they can
>call it what they want. I think anyone <40 shouldn't be in that class though, as the irrevocable
>physical decline (tm) takes a while to set in in cyclists. Museeuw's still good at 37, plenty of
>riders have won classics in their late 30's etc.
>
We've been having this "debate" in the Scottish Cycling Forum.

http://www.scuonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=494

Its suggested that the traditional cycling nations (France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Holland) don't
give the same kudos to the fattie masters as the newbies (US, UK, Oz) - surely not - all those nice
championship jerseys...

Dig In! Stephen

In article <[email protected]>, Jeff Jones
<jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote:

> It's the masters age people who run the whole show all around the world anyway, so I guess they
> can call it what they want. I think anyone <40 shouldn't be in that class though, as the
> irrevocable physical decline (tm) takes a while to set in in cyclists. Museeuw's still good at 37,
> plenty of riders have won classics in their late 30's etc.

But more riders have retired by their early 30's because they aren't as fast anymore. What is the
average age of a Grand Tour winner or WC race winner?

Normally the VO2max will decline about 10ml (e.g. 75 goes to about 65) for every decade in age after
about 30 years old. That is a significant
% drop in the ability to go fast. I know of one Olympian who's VO2max
was 85 in 1984 and his training goal right now is to get his VO2max up to 60.

-WG

at 53 and increasing

They should have a Masters Fatty class, like MTB Clydesdales. I liked that Fat Boys old-days poster.

Over 40 and 20 lbs over fighting weight should do the trick.

--

Jeff Potter
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, skis, books, movies...

...new books featuring: XC ski culture, a thriller about small town drug smuggling, and folding
bicycles ... radical novels coming up! ...lots more books, downloadable music and videos ...
articles galore!

plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

warren <[email protected]> wrote:
> But more riders have retired by their early 30's because they aren't as fast anymore. What is the
> average age of a Grand Tour winner or WC race winner?

> Normally the VO2max will decline about 10ml (e.g. 75 goes to about 65) for every decade in age
> after about 30 years old. That is a significant
> % drop in the ability to go fast. I know of one Olympian who's VO2max
> was 85 in 1984 and his training goal right now is to get his VO2max up to 60.

For the Tour: http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/tour_age.html

Gimondi won the Giro in 1976 at age 34. I think Pou-pou was 37 or thereabouts when he took a podium
spot in 1976. He also took 2nd in 1974.

The early 30s seems to be a very critical age for grand tour participants. But for classics racers
it appears to be much less important, especially the cobbled classics. P-R may as well be a FM race
with recent winners like Gibbus, Ballerini, and Museeuw.

I don't have the data on sprinters but I don't think anyone should be surprised that Cipo is no
longer the big dog in sprinting at
36. The people at Saeco thought that was the case a few years back and he's still winning races,
even if he is no longer the best bet.

All you guys that are hoping for Pantani to get a spot in the Tour to liven things up... I don't
know what you people are thinking. He's 33 and given the lack of meaningful racing for him in the
recent past I think his days as a force in the mountains are over. But the history on his side is
Van Impe who took polka dot jerseys at ages 34 and 36.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

they do. its called cat 4 in the Colorado ACA. you should see them.

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> They should have a Masters Fatty class, like MTB Clydesdales. I liked that Fat Boys
> old-days poster.
>
> Over 40 and 20 lbs over fighting weight should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.