Fattie Masters Epidemic Understated

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringion, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2856605.stm

    Obesity epidemic tops 1.7bn

    The number of obese people in the world may be as high as 1.7bn, experts have calculated.

    The International Obesity Taskforce (IOTF) says that the current method of calculating obesity -
    which gives a figure of around half of this - is flawed.

    This because it fails to take into consideration the fact that Asian people seem to be more
    vulnerable than other racial groups to the effects of excess weight.

    <snip>

    A person with a BMI of 25 and above is defined as overweight, and somebody with a BMI of above
    30 is obese.

    However, an expert group of the World Health Organization, of which Professor James is a member,
    says that Asian people with a BMI of only 23.3 may be at increased risk of obesity-related diseases.

    <snip><end>

    K. Gringioni Masters Fattie

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2856605.stm
    >
    > Obesity epidemic tops 1.7bn
    >
    > The number of obese people in the world may be as high as 1.7bn, experts
    have calculated.

    > The International Obesity Taskforce (IOTF) says that the current method of
    calculating obesity - which gives a figure of around half
    > of this - is flawed.
    >
    > This because it fails to take into consideration the fact that Asian
    people seem to be more vulnerable than other racial groups to
    > the effects of excess weight.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > A person with a BMI of 25 and above is defined as overweight, and somebody
    with a BMI of above 30 is obese.

    > However, an expert group of the World Health Organization, of which
    Professor James is a member, says that Asian people with a BMI
    > of only 23.3 may be at increased risk of obesity-related diseases.
    >
    > <snip><end>

    Its easy, Henry, just don't eat like an American and you'll be OK. Think Asian! Be Asian! I know you
    can do it!

    Mike