faulty or worn b.b.?

Tim

Guest
On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

Tim said:
On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.
Sounds like you need to crank it all tighter together. Whenever I hear this noise, I just crank it tighter and it goes away.

Tim wrote:

> On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
> I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
> however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
> Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
> appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
> should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

Try greasing your pedal threads.

--
R.

<> Richard Brockie "Categorical statements
<> The tall blond one. always cause trouble."
<> [email protected]

If simply tightening the bb doesn't correct it, back the bb out and
reinstall it with teflon tape on the threads.
news:bA2Lc.2748$%[email protected]...

Tim wrote:
> On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
> I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
> however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
> Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
> appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
> should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

To be sure it's the BB, you might want to eliminate other possibilities
first:

1. Slight seat post movement in frame (do you still get the creaking
sound when applying load while *out* of the saddle?). I had this noise
once and swore that I'd cracked my frame. I used a very thin piece of
rag (1 cm x 15 cm) that I shoved down together with the post, to dampen
the movement. Noise disappeared.

2. Cassette lockring slightly loose (tighten same, or try someone else's
back wheel for comparison)

3. Chainring bolts loose (tighten)

4. BB cups loose (you've been there already)

5. BB bearing. Check again; twirling and pushing it around for more than
30 seconds - out of the frame - might reveal a place where you get play.
I had this problem with a Campag AC-S, but the noise was an occasional
low-pitched "bang". I may have broken a bearing; since I had ridden less
than 2000 km I returned it to the LBS + got a new one.

6. Pedal bearing (especially if you get the noise only on one side). If
the pedal is bad, or loose, you should be able to feel this through your
foot, though.

I'll put my money on 1) above.

Tell us what it was, in any case.

/Robert

tim-<< On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so. >><BR><BR>

Could be lots of things. Lots of grease inside the BB shell also the left BB
cup. Grease on the crankarm spiders where the chainrings live, lots on the BB
spindle splines, cranks aligned and on 'tight'. Cogset tight, pedal spindles
lubed and on tight....

You should be concerned, it should not make noise.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

WINGNUTT wrote:
> Tim Wrote:
>> On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
>> I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/
>> load, however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
>> Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and
>> it appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas?
>> ...or
>> should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

> Sounds like you need to crank it all tighter together. Whenever I
> hear this noise, I just crank it tighter and it goes away.

No!!! If the OP has square-taper cranks, he will ruin them. I have a
friend that didn't know this and his cranks went all the way up the taper
AGAINST the BB cup.

Please refrain from advising if you don't know what you're talking about.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

> 1. Slight seat post movement in frame (do you still get the creaking
> sound when applying load while *out* of the saddle?). I had this noise
> once and swore that I'd cracked my frame. I used a very thin piece of

> I'll put my money on 1) above.
>
> Tell us what it was, in any case.

Not likely. The OP stated that it was under heavy accel/load, so
out-of-saddle pedaling is likely.

I'm banking on the BB cups having water near them or the like... extraction,
regreasing, and reinstallation has always been the solution for my creaks.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tim wrote:
> On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
> I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
> however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
> Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
> appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
> should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

I had that creaking noise and checked everything to no
avail. Turned out the stem (wedge type) needed to be tightened.