faulty or worn b.b.?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tim, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
    I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
    however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
    Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
    appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
    should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. WINGNUTT

    WINGNUTT New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2004
    Sounds like you need to crank it all tighter together. Whenever I hear this noise, I just crank it tighter and it goes away.

  3. Tim wrote:

    > On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
    > I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
    > however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
    > Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
    > appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
    > should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

    Try greasing your pedal threads.

    --
    R.

    <> Richard Brockie "Categorical statements
    <> The tall blond one. always cause trouble."
    <> [email protected]

  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    If simply tightening the bb doesn't correct it, back the bb out and
    reinstall it with teflon tape on the threads.
    "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:bA2Lc.2748$%[email protected]
    > On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
    > I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
    > however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
    > Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
    > appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
    > should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

  5. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
    > I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
    > however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
    > Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
    > appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
    > should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

    To be sure it's the BB, you might want to eliminate other possibilities
    first:

    1. Slight seat post movement in frame (do you still get the creaking
    sound when applying load while *out* of the saddle?). I had this noise
    once and swore that I'd cracked my frame. I used a very thin piece of
    rag (1 cm x 15 cm) that I shoved down together with the post, to dampen
    the movement. Noise disappeared.

    2. Cassette lockring slightly loose (tighten same, or try someone else's
    back wheel for comparison)

    3. Chainring bolts loose (tighten)

    4. BB cups loose (you've been there already)

    5. BB bearing. Check again; twirling and pushing it around for more than
    30 seconds - out of the frame - might reveal a place where you get play.
    I had this problem with a Campag AC-S, but the noise was an occasional
    low-pitched "bang". I may have broken a bearing; since I had ridden less
    than 2000 km I returned it to the LBS + got a new one.

    6. Pedal bearing (especially if you get the noise only on one side). If
    the pedal is bad, or loose, you should be able to feel this through your
    foot, though.

    I'll put my money on 1) above.

    Tell us what it was, in any case.

    /Robert

  6. tim-<< On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
    I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
    however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so. >><BR><BR>

    Could be lots of things. Lots of grease inside the BB shell also the left BB
    cup. Grease on the crankarm spiders where the chainrings live, lots on the BB
    spindle splines, cranks aligned and on 'tight'. Cogset tight, pedal spindles
    lubed and on tight....

    You should be concerned, it should not make noise.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  7. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    WINGNUTT wrote:
    > Tim Wrote:
    >> On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
    >> I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/
    >> load, however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
    >> Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and
    >> it appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas?
    >> ...or
    >> should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

    > Sounds like you need to crank it all tighter together. Whenever I
    > hear this noise, I just crank it tighter and it goes away.

    No!!! If the OP has square-taper cranks, he will ruin them. I have a
    friend that didn't know this and his cranks went all the way up the taper
    AGAINST the BB cup.

    Please refrain from advising if you don't know what you're talking about.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > 1. Slight seat post movement in frame (do you still get the creaking
    > sound when applying load while *out* of the saddle?). I had this noise
    > once and swore that I'd cracked my frame. I used a very thin piece of

    > I'll put my money on 1) above.
    >
    > Tell us what it was, in any case.

    Not likely. The OP stated that it was under heavy accel/load, so
    out-of-saddle pedaling is likely.

    I'm banking on the BB cups having water near them or the like... extraction,
    regreasing, and reinstallation has always been the solution for my creaks.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  9. Richard Tack

    Richard Tack Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > On a 2003 TREK w/ approx 700 miles?
    > I hear a creaking/ almost popping sound under heavy acceleration/ load,
    > however I a not positive if it is the bb but I think so.
    > Anyway I removed the crankarms and bottom bracket to investigate and it
    > appears perfect (smooth bearings, appearance and all). Any ideas? ...or
    > should I even be concerned at all? Any insight would be appreciated.

    I had that creaking noise and checked everything to no
    avail. Turned out the stem (wedge type) needed to be tightened.