Favorite kind of salad?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tom, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I load up a big bag every few days at the salad bar at the supermarket.
    I prefer the shredded cabbage (green and purple) over the lettuce,
    actually. Tomatoes, cukes, a little shredded carrot, a few water
    chestnuts, and then several chunks of yellow squash and a small handful
    of pinto beans (about 20 beans for three servings of salad, they add a
    little something different texture-wise).

    I try to have a nice sized salad every night half an hour before having
    my protein, reduces the amount of the main part of my meal and I feel
    helps with digestion. Every few days I combine my meat and salad by
    making a nice "spaghetti sauce" with ground beef/pork, onion, garlic,
    lots of herbs, and just a bit of tomato puree. Ladle this over my
    salad, actually so much better than noodles! Top with a bit of parm.

    I make my own vinagrette, or buy a ranch dressing that is quite low
    carb, and water it down a bit then toss the salad in it in a bigger
    bowl before putting it in the serving bowl. This way I can have a
    nicely coated big bowl of salad with only a couple tablespoons of
    dressing being used.

    OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    salad "tricks".

    Tags:

  2. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Tom wrote:

    > OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    > the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    > salad "tricks".

    I buy a hyooge bag of Earthbound Farms Organic mixed baby greens. Warm
    weather dinners include a huge plate of greens with some nuts, olives,
    blue, goat or feta cheese, and some grilled fish or chicken on top. We
    each choose our own dressing.

    Susan

  3. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    I'm making my favorite salad as I type this...

    It's roasted vegetables with a mustard vinaigrette.

    I roast cauliflower, green beans, a few carrots, mini squash... toss
    with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Put on a baking sheet ina 450
    degree oven for about 15- 20 minutes. They turn golden brown.

    I let them cool and then put them on a bed of arugula and romaine...
    toss with a mustard vinaigrette:

    Mix olive oil, vinager (I like raspberry), dijon mustard, salt, pepper,
    garlic and I add a packet of splenda. Add to salad and top with shaved
    parmesean.

    Having folks over for dinner tonight and this will be the salad with
    some grilled salmon.

    Jennifer

    Tom wrote:
    > I load up a big bag every few days at the salad bar at the supermarket.
    > I prefer the shredded cabbage (green and purple) over the lettuce,
    > actually. Tomatoes, cukes, a little shredded carrot, a few water
    > chestnuts, and then several chunks of yellow squash and a small handful
    > of pinto beans (about 20 beans for three servings of salad, they add a
    > little something different texture-wise).
    >
    > I try to have a nice sized salad every night half an hour before having
    > my protein, reduces the amount of the main part of my meal and I feel
    > helps with digestion. Every few days I combine my meat and salad by
    > making a nice "spaghetti sauce" with ground beef/pork, onion, garlic,
    > lots of herbs, and just a bit of tomato puree. Ladle this over my
    > salad, actually so much better than noodles! Top with a bit of parm.
    >
    > I make my own vinagrette, or buy a ranch dressing that is quite low
    > carb, and water it down a bit then toss the salad in it in a bigger
    > bowl before putting it in the serving bowl. This way I can have a
    > nicely coated big bowl of salad with only a couple tablespoons of
    > dressing being used.
    >
    > OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    > the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    > salad "tricks".

  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    OMG Feta cheese - I love it! I like the idea of nuts too.....maybe
    some salmon for the fish...mmmmmm!

    Susan wrote:
    > I buy a hyooge bag of Earthbound Farms Organic mixed baby greens. Warm
    > weather dinners include a huge plate of greens with some nuts, olives,
    > blue, goat or feta cheese, and some grilled fish or chicken on top. We
    > each choose our own dressing.
    >
    > Susan

  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for the great idea Jennifer! Going to do some roasting myself
    tonight, after that idea.

    I actually find myself eating a ton more vegetables now that Im back on
    LC.

  6. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    Tom wrote:
    > OMG Feta cheese - I love it! I like the idea of nuts too.....maybe
    > some salmon for the fish...mmmmmm!
    >
    > Susan wrote:
    >
    >>I buy a hyooge bag of Earthbound Farms Organic mixed baby greens. Warm
    >>weather dinners include a huge plate of greens with some nuts, olives,
    >>blue, goat or feta cheese, and some grilled fish or chicken on top. We
    >>each choose our own dressing.
    >>
    >>Susan

    I toss on a few dried cranberries, too.

    If you love feta, this recipe has become our new favorite dinner. You
    can have it over a little Dreamfields (if you tolerate it) or green
    beans, or at room temp over mixed greens.

    Shrimp baked with feta

    10 oz medium shrimp (I used 1 lb. jumbo)
    7 oz. sheep's milk feta
    1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
    3 TBS olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 TBS chopped flatleaf parsley
    2 medium tomatoes, cut into large chunks (I've been quartering litle
    campari tomatoes for better flavor in winter)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

    Mix all in a small oval baker or 8" x 8" baking dish.
    Bake 30 min. for smaller shrimp, 40 minutes for large or jumbo

    TO DIE FOR.

    Susan

  7. Sherry

    Sherry Guest

    "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I load up a big bag every few days at the salad bar at the supermarket.
    > I prefer the shredded cabbage (green and purple) over the lettuce,
    > actually. Tomatoes, cukes, a little shredded carrot, a few water
    > chestnuts, and then several chunks of yellow squash and a small handful
    > of pinto beans (about 20 beans for three servings of salad, they add a
    > little something different texture-wise).
    >
    > I try to have a nice sized salad every night half an hour before having
    > my protein, reduces the amount of the main part of my meal and I feel
    > helps with digestion. Every few days I combine my meat and salad by
    > making a nice "spaghetti sauce" with ground beef/pork, onion, garlic,
    > lots of herbs, and just a bit of tomato puree. Ladle this over my
    > salad, actually so much better than noodles! Top with a bit of parm.
    >
    > I make my own vinagrette, or buy a ranch dressing that is quite low
    > carb, and water it down a bit then toss the salad in it in a bigger
    > bowl before putting it in the serving bowl. This way I can have a
    > nicely coated big bowl of salad with only a couple tablespoons of
    > dressing being used.
    >
    > OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    > the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    > salad "tricks".

    I mix ranch with mayo to get more fat, and eat it on a blend of lettuces and
    greens with freshly fried bacon. Sometimes cheese but usually not. That's
    about my favorite food in the world, is salad with ranch/mayo and bacon :).

    --
    Sherry
    364/290/195 (4/3/05)

  8. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    I made one last weekend when I had guest for dinner that everybody
    raved about:

    Baby spinach leaves, chopped green, red and yellow bell peppers (added
    nice color) , chopped scallion stems, cubed cucumber, shredded mild
    cheddar and colby cheeses, sliced green olives, a sprinkling of
    oregano and fresh ground peppercorns. With choice of bleu cheese or
    creamy Italian dressing.

    This was served with Hannah Gruen's Italian Sausage Soup as the main
    course; this soup n salad meal was tasty, filling and a hit with my
    guests.

  9. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    > the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    > salad "tricks".

    I changed my definition of "salad". I finally came to terms with the
    fact that I don't really care much for lettuce. It's okay, but doesn't
    seem worth the effort it takes to keep it fresh enough for my tastes.

    I like to make up what I CALL a salad for an entire week. I have 4
    basic ingredients which I expand upon depending on the day, my whims,
    and whats on hand. I cut up a mess of jicama, celery and green onion
    and black (uncut) olives and separate them into 5-7 portions. I then
    layer the ingredients into mason jars with the jicama on the bottom,
    followed by celery, then the green onion and then the whole olives. I
    use my Tilia FoodSaver jar attachment to suck the air out of the jars
    and seal them. Then I have either a salad base or a stir-fry base for
    an entire week or more. If the jicama is juicy and not particularly
    starchy, I eat it raw as salad -- if the jicama is somewhat drier and/or
    starchy, I use it for stir-fry. When it's a raw salad, I might add any
    or all of the following: colby/jack cheese stick, fresh
    parmesan/romano, cucumber, tomato and avocado. I like to use plain
    mayonnaise as a dressing, but sometimes I use guacamole or simple
    Italian. I may or may not add protein such as leftover cooked meat or,
    as a real treat, shrimp.

    If I want to make a stir-fry, I fry up the veggies and add whatever
    protein I might have handy, such as sausage, pork, chicken, etc. If I
    use sausage, I usually cook the sausage first, then use the resulting
    drippings to stir-fry the veggies; otherwise I use saved bacon
    drippings. Toward the end of cooking I add 4 tbl parmesan/romano, 1/3-
    1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Punjab Spinach sauce and a stick of colby/jack
    cheese. I may add zucchini if I have any on hand. Sometimes I use
    alfredo sauce instead of punjab sauce, especially if I use tuna as the
    protein.

    If the jicama is outstandingly juicy and sweet, I make a quasi fruit
    salad from the jicama, a few raisins, mayonnaise, lime juice and
    sweetener. I LOVE that!

    Either way, I make and store enough to make it pretty easy to eat my
    veggies no matter how tired or unmotivated I might feel (kitchenwise)
    from one day to the next. I can handle spending some time to do it once
    a week, but I'm much less likely to do it every day if I don't do it
    THIS way.

    That said, sometimes I take a break from it and just get on a cucumber/,
    tomato/green onion salad, which is just dandy, especially if I add
    parmesan/romano and avocado to it.

    --
    Saffire
    205/137/125

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  10. Tom wrote:

    > OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    > the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    > salad "tricks".

    I'm a huge salad fan, but I tend to get repetitive with ingredients, so
    I'm glad to read about other ideas.

    I like Boston (butter) lettuce, red or green. I buy a few heads of it,
    and wash it all the first time I use it, then put what I'm not eating
    back into the bag for later meals.

    I usually add cheese (parmesan or gorgonzola) and nuts (pine or
    almonds) and sometimes dried fruit with no sugar added (blueberries or
    cranberries).

    I top with Paul Newman's olive oil and vinegar dressing or homemade
    blue cheese dressing (mayo, sour cream, blue cheese crumbles and a dash
    of cayenne).

    And I almost always eat it with meat, usually chicken breast or thighs,
    a pork chop or tenderloin, fish, or a steak.

    That's been my default dinner since spring 2003. Sometimes it's lunch,
    too.

    Cate

  11. Laureen

    Laureen Guest

    I dont tolerate broccoli flowerettes anymore but I used to make a yummy
    salad with small broccoli flowerettes, chopped celery, small cubes of
    cheddar cheese, salted sunflower seeds and a dressing of mayo, mustard,
    vinegar, fresh cracked pepper, and a pinch of Splenda poured and tossed
    into it.

    My favorite right now is romaine hearts, small salad shrimp, 2 small
    vine ripe cherry tomatoes cut into 8 pieces and a Tablespoon Miracle
    whip tossed in for dressing. YUMMY!!!!

    I also like romaine hearts, chopped chicken tenderloin, caesar dressing
    and fresh grated parmesan cheese.

    another fav is:1/4 C kidney beans, romaine hearts, and italian
    dressing.

    finally.....

    any kind of lettuce, a tablespoon of frozen cold thawed out baby peas,
    shredded cheddar, and french dressing.

    Laureen

    Tom wrote:
    > I load up a big bag every few days at the salad bar at the supermarket.
    > I prefer the shredded cabbage (green and purple) over the lettuce,
    > actually. Tomatoes, cukes, a little shredded carrot, a few water
    > chestnuts, and then several chunks of yellow squash and a small handful
    > of pinto beans (about 20 beans for three servings of salad, they add a
    > little something different texture-wise).
    >
    > I try to have a nice sized salad every night half an hour before having
    > my protein, reduces the amount of the main part of my meal and I feel
    > helps with digestion. Every few days I combine my meat and salad by
    > making a nice "spaghetti sauce" with ground beef/pork, onion, garlic,
    > lots of herbs, and just a bit of tomato puree. Ladle this over my
    > salad, actually so much better than noodles! Top with a bit of parm.
    >
    > I make my own vinagrette, or buy a ranch dressing that is quite low
    > carb, and water it down a bit then toss the salad in it in a bigger
    > bowl before putting it in the serving bowl. This way I can have a
    > nicely coated big bowl of salad with only a couple tablespoons of
    > dressing being used.
    >
    > OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    > the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    > salad "tricks".

  12. My salads tend to be based on what's on sale (in the winter) or
    producing in the garden (in the summer).

    My favorite greens for the base are butterhead and radicchio. I like
    all sorts of raw veggies in salads: tomatoes, cucumbers, onions (all
    types), scallions, bell peppers, sprouts (especially alfalfa or onion),
    sugar snap peas, etc.

    I like to clean and cut up all my veggies in advance, storing in
    separate tupperwares so if the tomatoes start to go, they don't make
    the cucumbers go. Everything being ready to put together appeals to my
    lazy side as it takes 2 minutes to "make" lunch or dinner.

    Some of the more unusual things I have tried and liked added to salads
    include a mess of multi-colored bell peppers and onions and garlic
    fried in olive oil or a bunch of pecans or walnuts crushed as a topping
    as a change from sunflower seeds.

    I used to add sliced meat and cheese almost all the time and make chef
    salads. Now, I tend to keep "other" stuff made to add to a salad
    plate: chicken salad, turkey salad, cole slaw, guacamole, egg salad,
    deviled eggs, melon balls, etc.

  13. "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I load up a big bag every few days at the salad bar at the supermarket.
    > I prefer the shredded cabbage (green and purple) over the lettuce,
    > actually. Tomatoes, cukes, a little shredded carrot, a few water
    > chestnuts, and then several chunks of yellow squash and a small handful
    > of pinto beans (about 20 beans for three servings of salad, they add a
    > little something different texture-wise).

    I make a big-ass salad to die for. I just about add the kitchen sink in
    mine. My favorite is a huge plate of baby greens and baby spinach mix with
    cherry tomatoes, sprouts, mushies, feta cheese, romano cheese, maybe some
    lunch meat... all topped with Good Seasons or some such salad dressing (I
    use GS because I know it doesn't have HFCS in it).

  14. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I load up a big bag every few days at the salad bar at the supermarket.
    >> I prefer the shredded cabbage (green and purple) over the lettuce,
    >> actually. Tomatoes, cukes, a little shredded carrot, a few water
    >> chestnuts, and then several chunks of yellow squash and a small handful
    >> of pinto beans (about 20 beans for three servings of salad, they add a
    >> little something different texture-wise).

    > I make a big-ass salad to die for. I just about add the kitchen sink in
    > mine. My favorite is a huge plate of baby greens and baby spinach mix with
    > cherry tomatoes, sprouts, mushies, feta cheese, romano cheese, maybe some
    > lunch meat... all topped with Good Seasons or some such salad dressing (I
    > use GS because I know it doesn't have HFCS in it).

    For the sake of a lassie in Scotland.. please will you translate (GS) and
    (HFCS) please?

    Ophelia

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >>I load up a big bag every few days at the salad bar at the supermarket.
    > >> I prefer the shredded cabbage (green and purple) over the lettuce,
    > >> actually. Tomatoes, cukes, a little shredded carrot, a few water
    > >> chestnuts, and then several chunks of yellow squash and a small handful
    > >> of pinto beans (about 20 beans for three servings of salad, they add a
    > >> little something different texture-wise).

    > > I make a big-ass salad to die for. I just about add the kitchen sink in
    > > mine. My favorite is a huge plate of baby greens and baby spinach mix with
    > > cherry tomatoes, sprouts, mushies, feta cheese, romano cheese, maybe some
    > > lunch meat... all topped with Good Seasons or some such salad dressing (I
    > > use GS because I know it doesn't have HFCS in it).

    > For the sake of a lassie in Scotland.. please will you translate (GS) and
    > (HFCS) please?
    >
    > Ophelia

    GS appears to be an abbreviation of Good Seasonings..... :)

    Not sure what HFCS is.....
    --
    Peace, Om.

  16. Marsha

    Marsha Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>For the sake of a lassie in Scotland.. please will you translate (GS) and
    >>(HFCS) please?
    >>
    >>Ophelia
    >>

    > GS appears to be an abbreviation of Good Seasonings..... :)
    >
    > Not sure what HFCS is.....

    Silly you - high fructose corn syrup ;-)

    Marsha/Ohio

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    Marsha <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>For the sake of a lassie in Scotland.. please will you translate (GS) and
    > >>(HFCS) please?
    > >>
    > >>Ophelia
    > >>

    > > GS appears to be an abbreviation of Good Seasonings..... :)
    > >
    > > Not sure what HFCS is.....

    > Silly you - high fructose corn syrup ;-)
    >
    > Marsha/Ohio

    Ah! Thanks! :)

    That certainly is a major No-no.......
    --
    Peace, Om.

  18. Tom wrote:

    > OK, so are there other big salad fans out there? Or did I just bore
    > the crap out of everyone? I would love to hear about everyone elses'
    > salad "tricks".

    I just remembered my all-time favorite salad from my pre-LC days. I got
    this from Epicurious; all I changed was to delete 2 tsp sugar, which
    after the first time I decided it didn't even need. I've made it for
    dinner parties and had raves every time. To tweak for lower-carb
    values, one could cut down on the port and/or the amount of cherries.

    As always, if this would push you over your personal carb budget, don't
    eat it.

    GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PANCETTA, DRIED CHERRY AND PORT DRESSING

    1 1/4 cups dried tart cherries
    1/2 cup tawny Port

    5 ounces pancetta or bacon, chopped
    2 shallots, minced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar

    1 5.5-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), cut into
    1/2-inch-thick slices

    1 5-ounce bag mixed salad greens
    1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

    Combine cherries and Port in heavy small saucepan. Bring to simmer over
    medium heat. Remove from heat; let stand until cherries swell, about 15
    minutes. Sauté pancetta in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat
    until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add shallots and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
    Add oil, then vinegar and sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in
    cherry mixture. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be made 2
    hours ahead. Set aside in skillet at room temperature.) [Note from
    Cate: if you make dressing ahead, the pancetta will turn deep pink b/c
    of the port.]

    Preheat oven to 350°F. Place goat cheese slices on rimmed baking
    sheet. Bake until warm, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine salad
    greens and pine nuts in bowl. Rewarm dressing and pour over salad; toss
    to blend. Top with warm goat cheese and serve.

    Makes 4 Servings.
    originally printed in Bon Appetit

    Cate

  19. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

    Ugh, I HATE pine nuts. Maybe it was because they used WAY too many of
    them on the one meal I had them in, but it totally ruins it when the
    only thing you can taste is a christmas tree :)

    --
    Saffire
    205/137/125
    Atkins since 6/14/03

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  20. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Joe the Aroma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > I make a big-ass salad to die for. I just about add the kitchen sink in
    >> > mine. My favorite is a huge plate of baby greens and baby spinach mix
    >> > with
    >> > cherry tomatoes, sprouts, mushies, feta cheese, romano cheese, maybe
    >> > some
    >> > lunch meat... all topped with Good Seasons or some such salad dressing
    >> > (I
    >> > use GS because I know it doesn't have HFCS in it).

    >> For the sake of a lassie in Scotland.. please will you translate (GS) and
    >> (HFCS) please?
    >>
    >> Ophelia
    >>

    > GS appears to be an abbreviation of Good Seasonings..... :)
    >
    > Not sure what HFCS is.....

    Thanks Om:)