Favorite kind of salad?

"Marsha" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>For the sake of a lassie in Scotland.. please will you translate (GS) and
>>>(HFCS) please?
>>>
>>>Ophelia

>> GS appears to be an abbreviation of Good Seasonings..... :)
>>
>> Not sure what HFCS is.....

> Silly you - high fructose corn syrup ;-)

Thank you Marsha:) Is it allowed then <G>

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 19:06:54 -0400, Susan <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I buy a hyooge bag of Earthbound Farms Organic mixed baby greens. Warm
>weather dinners include a huge plate of greens with some nuts, olives,
>blue, goat or feta cheese, and some grilled fish or chicken on top. We
>each choose our own dressing.

I sometimes travel to the health food store in a neighboring town to
get a big bag of Paul Newman's organic salad mix... can't remember the
name, but it's got lots of baby greens. Great stuff.

I remember a couple years ago, was having a chat with a remodeling
contractor. He and his wife, who is a doctor, are very fit and
athletic. He said this is how they often eat dinner. Grill some meat,
chicken or fish, and then top a big salad with the grilled protein and
dressing. Neither of them are dieting, let alone lc'ing... it just
seemed like a healthy way to eat to them.

I also like nuts on salad. Walnuts and sunflower seeds are favorites.
I'll have to try your suggestion of dried cranberries, too.

HG

Saffire wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

> Ugh, I HATE pine nuts. Maybe it was because they used WAY too many of
> them on the one meal I had them in, but it totally ruins it when the
> only thing you can taste is a christmas tree :)

I'm not one to convince someone that they do indeed like something they
don't like. However, have you eaten them toasted instead of eating them
right out of the container? I find there's a noticeable difference. To
toast them, you just turn/toss them in a dry frying pan until they're
golden brown. I've never found anything about them tree-like, but
toasting them does make them taste different.

Cate

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Saffire wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> > > 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

> > Ugh, I HATE pine nuts. Maybe it was because they used WAY too many of
> > them on the one meal I had them in, but it totally ruins it when the
> > only thing you can taste is a christmas tree :)

> I'm not one to convince someone that they do indeed like something they
> don't like. However, have you eaten them toasted instead of eating them
> right out of the container? I find there's a noticeable difference. To
> toast them, you just turn/toss them in a dry frying pan until they're
> golden brown. I've never found anything about them tree-like, but
> toasting them does make them taste different.

I've only had them in a restaurant dish and was so completely turned off
that I never had them with anything again.

--
Saffire
205/137/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:24:29 -0700, Saffire
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've only had them in a restaurant dish and was so completely turned off
>that I never had them with anything again.

I wonder if there was something else in the dish that turned you off?
I've never found pine nuts to taste "pine-like," but to me they taste
very good. I agree toasting them makes them yummy, but they taste good
to me raw.

I wonder, alternatively, if this is one of those genetic differences
things? Like cilantro?

HG

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 08:41:07 -0400, Hannah Gruen
<[email protected]> wrote:

|On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:24:29 -0700, Saffire
|<[email protected]> wrote:
|
|>I've only had them in a restaurant dish and was so completely turned off
|>that I never had them with anything again.
|
|I wonder if there was something else in the dish that turned you off?
|I've never found pine nuts to taste "pine-like," but to me they taste
|very good. I agree toasting them makes them yummy, but they taste good
|to me raw.
|
|I wonder, alternatively, if this is one of those genetic differences
|things? Like cilantro?
|
|HG

.... or the gene that makes some people's pee smell funny after eating
asparagus.

In article <[email protected]>, allium28-
[email protected] says...
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:24:29 -0700, Saffire
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've only had them in a restaurant dish and was so completely turned off
> >that I never had them with anything again.

> I wonder if there was something else in the dish that turned you off?
> I've never found pine nuts to taste "pine-like," but to me they taste
> very good. I agree toasting them makes them yummy, but they taste good
> to me raw.
>
> I wonder, alternatively, if this is one of those genetic differences
> things? Like cilantro?

Is that one of those genetic things, because I don't care for cilantro,
either. Hmmmm. I'm also one of those people who can STRONGLY discern a
bitter zucchini or cucumber (and zucchini is my FAVORITE vegetable, so
it's not a matter of not liking them).

--
Saffire
205/137/125
Atkins since 6/14/03

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:54:24 -0700, Saffire
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Is that one of those genetic things, because I don't care for cilantro,
>either.

Ahhhh... maybe we're onto something here.

>Hmmmm. I'm also one of those people who can STRONGLY discern a
>bitter zucchini or cucumber (and zucchini is my FAVORITE vegetable, so
>it's not a matter of not liking them).

Oh, this is new to me. I didn't realize there were individual
differences. I hate it when zucchini is bitter, but usually eat it
anyway. But I've never discerned any excessive bitterness in a
cucumber. Interesting!

HG