Favorite Pedals - Durability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wugga, Oct 27, 2005.

1. wugga

wugga New Member

Folks,

How about a thread about the pedals you use and their durability?

My Pedals

Brand/Type: Look Keo Carbon CroMo

Time In Use/Mileage-KM : 2 Months - 800 Miles Love Them So far so good!

Tags:

2. AussieRob

AussieRob New Member

Very wise choice of pedal, but its sacrilege not to get the ti keo's.

Cleats seem to wear very quickly.

3. kbone

kbone New Member

I like the Speedplay x5s. I have about 1000 miles on them so far with no problems. Well, except the one time I clipped in after I stepped in gum - what a mess.

4. gogoturtle

gogoturtle New Member

Keo Carbons with the CroMo. I've got about 4000 miles on them and they still work perfectly. My cleats have held up well too; I still have the original cleats on but plan to replace a cracked them this weekend.

P.S. I wish I could afford the Ti version.

5. ewitz

ewitz New Member

I prefer to stick to a metal body pedal, personally the Shimano 7801, just because you end up scraping the cleat in corners during crits.

6. dhk

dhk New Member

Have 8000 miles on Speedplay Zero pedals, and they are doing fine. They require a re-greasing every 2000 miles per instructions, but it only takes a few minutes to inject the lube. The original cleats are still working fine also, but now getting pretty worn down on the back edge. Will replace them early next season.

7. Az cactus

Az cactus New Member

How about Time RXS Pedals? anybody?

8. nbfman

nbfman New Member

Started with Look PP206, but did not like the feel and foot mobility seemed limited.

Changed to the Look Cx6 (CrMo), and like it much better. Still only around 300 miles, so no idea about durability.

Anyone have comments on comparing Look Keo and Cx6?

9. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

look pp 247

2+yr.s, ~20,000mi

genral observations:

these need to be adjusted to max release tension to handle sprints.

brg.s still smooth, aluminum is wearing where cleats contact, black non floating cleats will minimize this wear and have become my choice, not so much to reduces the wear but for the solid postion of stability they provide, also my knees do not like or need float at all.

my new bike is to have look a5.1's, i like these save for the rotating knob on the back which selects amount of float in degrees, this seems frail, but i will leave it on 0degrees and use black cleats only with this in mind.

i avoid keos due to the cleats having breakage problems, also i avoid the look bi-material cleats for the same reason.

10. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

... yes could be good, I've tried the Time Impact on 2-3 small rides.... and who ever designed them did not give them a proper platform size, because the outer part of my knee(ligament connecting thigh to knee) was sore on each of those rides..... and would usually start acting up only after the first 2-3 miles of a ride :( Figures, Time scraps the Impact for the RXE/RXS model now :eek:

I've been riding Time Equipe Pro Mags. for the last 8 years... problem free ;)
    They have a great platform size , have many great features like the angular float of the pedal(closer or further from the crank arm) + super durable spindal/bearings... very bomb-proof This model was in full effect 1995-2002 ....... and the predicessor to this Time Mag was also very close to the same design, I believe. Many TDF victories were won on this pedal system. Straight up just an awesome pedal.

11. mark higgins

mark higgins New Member

Have used various Look pedals since 1986, from the original one through the first carbon now to the Keos. Use these on my tt bike, CX7 on my road bike. Have never had problems with any of them, or my knees except age wear and tear. The Keo plate is showing wear after 500 miles, moreso than the normal red cleat. As far as the pedals go I have one pair on my Turbo bike that the paint has fallen off - the pedals are over 10 years old- but they are still running well. Have never seen the need to switch to another brand as they last so well.

12. wyllisx2

wyllisx2 New Member

Started riding Shimano Ultegra PD-6510 this year. I like the platform but the cleats have worn quickly. Now it's hard to get the correct tension on the right pedal. New cleats for the spring season. I don't worry about sloshing around on the trainer.

13. wugga

wugga New Member

Hi,

I do like my Keo's, though today I practicing my sprints (off sprinting for a ver long time) I noticed that the red 9 degree cleats seem to have to much float.

Anybody try the grey 4.5 degree Keo cleats? I would like to keep some float to help with the over 40 knees!

Thanks

14. ck9

ck9 New Member

Got some really old Time pedals(10 years) but still going strong,luv em

15. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

Had my Time Impacts for almost 3 years now and have probably clocked up about 10,000km. No problems at all. Cleats are quite durable too, I'm only on my 2nd set.

16. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I had a set of Speedplay X3's. The bearings were shot after about a season (I like float but that was ridiculous..:eek:) . I upgrade to the X2's and the pedals are very durable with minor maintenence. The X2's and the newer X5's use a better bearing system. The cleats are good for a season or two. I had the metal clip inside break on me once (no crash resulted, thankfully). Overall I like Speedplays, but make sure to get the cleat covers, to keep dirt and gravel out of the mechanism. My next set however will probably be Look Keo's.