Favorite Recipe Organizer Software??

Magananda

Guest
Hi--What is you alls favorite software for recipe organizing, shopping lists, etc.?

Any that don't work for anything?

Thanks, Maggie

"magananda" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi--What is you alls favorite software for recipe organizing, shopping lists, etc.?
>
> Any that don't work for anything?
>
> Thanks, Maggie

I do use/abuse MasterCook for recipes. Other than that I'm a complete mess. I have really old
cookbooks handed down from relatives with scraps of paper with recipes on them. Never in this
lifetime will I become organized enough to organize them. I never use a shopping list and almost
always visit the market when I'm starving ;)

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:51:11 -0800, "magananda"
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>Hi--What is you alls favorite software for recipe organizing, shopping lists, etc.?
>
>Any that don't work for anything?

I absolutely *love* Now You're Cooking. I used MasterCook for years, but hated the import process.
NYC is a snap. Copy and paste. That's
it. And exporting is easy, as well. Not as sophisticated a look as MC, but a very nice program and
who needs a "cool" look? I need something that works and works simply!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and then beat you with
experience."

To reply, replace "shcox" with "cox"

In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I do use/abuse MasterCook for recipes. Other than that I'm a complete mess. I have really old
> cookbooks handed down from relatives with scraps of paper with recipes on them. Never in this
> lifetime will I become organized enough to organize them. I never use a shopping list and almost
> always visit the market when I'm starving ;)

> Michael

Don't throw those scraps and handwritten recipes away, Michael. I treasure my mom's recipe for
"otmel cukis" written in her own hand.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:51:11 -0800, "magananda" <[email protected]> arranged random
> neurons, so they looked like this:
>
>>Hi--What is you alls favorite software for recipe organizing, shopping lists, etc.?
>>
>>Any that don't work for anything?
>>
> I absolutely *love* Now You're Cooking. I used MasterCook for years, but hated the import process.
> NYC is a snap. Copy and paste. That's
> it. And exporting is easy, as well. Not as sophisticated a look as MC, but a very nice program and
> who needs a "cool" look? I need something that works and works simply!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and then beat you with
> experience."
>
> To reply, replace "shcox" with "cox"

I too favor NYC. It seems more user friendly too, with faster tech support. Import features
include MasterCook and MealMaster formats. You can use it to store completed recipes or Names of
recipes, Cook Book Name or Magazine/issue and page number, as well as any options or changes
you've made to the recipe. It also allows HTML organizing (with an indexing) for CDs or Web Pages
use. I think it searches faster. Plus updates can be part of the purchase price of the shareware.
But it isn't Mac friendly.

www.ffts.com I'm just a happy customer.

But MasterCook sure looks nicer and has more Print options.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Don't throw those scraps and handwritten recipes away, Michael. I treasure my mom's recipe for
> "otmel cukis" written in her own hand.

Oh that is soooo true!! I have one, a recipe titled "Chili... Lets hope?" That was her quirky
attitude many times an I can hear it still now. The recipes are full of side notes and observations
when she was deliberately writing them down for me. I also found her notes on scraps giving her
count down tasks to one Thanksgiving and her menu that year. It was tucked into a cookbook. I do
treasure it very much. Goomba

Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:51:11 -0800, "magananda" <[email protected]> arranged random
> neurons, so they looked like this:
>
>>Hi--What is you alls favorite software for recipe organizing, shopping lists, etc.?
>>
>>Any that don't work for anything?
>>
> I absolutely *love* Now You're Cooking. I used MasterCook for years, but hated the import process.
> NYC is a snap. Copy and paste. That's
> it. And exporting is easy, as well. Not as sophisticated a look as MC, but a very nice program and
> who needs a "cool" look? I need something that works and works simply!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "Never argue with an idiot.....they bring you down to their level and then beat you with
> experience."
>
> To reply, replace "shcox" with "cox"

I have the trial version of NYC but have had no time to piddle with it. I'll give it a shot and see
if I want to buy it.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Goomba38 <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Don't throw those scraps and handwritten recipes away, Michael. I treasure my mom's recipe for
>> "otmel cukis" written in her own hand.
>>

> Oh that is soooo true!! I have one, a recipe titled "Chili... Lets hope?" That was her quirky
> attitude many times an I can hear it still now. The recipes are full of side notes and
> observations when she was deliberately writing them down for me. I also found her notes on scraps
> giving her count down tasks to one Thanksgiving and her menu that year. It was tucked into a
> cookbook. I do treasure it very much. Goomba

In one cookbook there must be 20 or so scraps of paper and a couple of napkins with recipes written
on them. It's amazing and sometimes I'll get them out and read them just for the heck of it. I will
never part with them but I doubt I'll ever make them all either. There are a lot of Jewish holiday
recipes hand written for some reason. My family is/was Catholic so I don't know where the recipes
came from as we did not celebrate Jewish holidays. I know my mother still loves kreplach(sp) and
makes it from one of the recipes.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Goomba38 <[email protected]> deliciously posted in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> Don't throw those scraps and handwritten recipes away, Michael. I treasure my mom's recipe for
> >> "otmel cukis" written in her own hand.
> >>

> > Oh that is soooo true!! I have one, a recipe titled "Chili... Lets hope?" That was her quirky
> > attitude many times an I can hear it still now. The recipes are full of side notes and
> > observations when she was deliberately writing them down for me. I also found her notes on
> > scraps giving her count down tasks to one Thanksgiving and her menu that year. It was tucked
> > into a cookbook. I do treasure it very much. Goomba
>
> In one cookbook there must be 20 or so scraps of paper and a couple of napkins with recipes
> written on them. It's amazing and sometimes I'll
get
> them out and read them just for the heck of it. I will never part with them but I doubt I'll ever
> make them all either. There are a lot of
Jewish
> holiday recipes hand written for some reason. My family is/was Catholic
so
> I don't know where the recipes came from as we did not celebrate Jewish holidays. I know my mother
> still loves kreplach(sp) and makes it from one of the recipes.
>
> Michael
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Michael, my first cookbook, The Betty Crocker red and white checked one, is *full* of recipes that
are written, typed, snipped, etc. It feels so nice to pull out an index card of a recipe written by
my grandmother.

kili

On 3/3/2004 7:51 PM, magananda wrote:
> Hi--What is you alls favorite software for recipe organizing, shopping lists, etc.?
>
> Any that don't work for anything?
>
> Thanks, Maggie

I like Living Cookbook (demo download available at livingcookbook.com). I use it mostly for recipes
although it does have a shopping list component as well.

--
jmk in NC

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 06:30:49 GMT, "kilikini"
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>Michael, my first cookbook, The Betty Crocker red and white checked one, is *full* of recipes that
>are written, typed, snipped, etc. It feels so nice to pull out an index card of a recipe written by
>my grandmother.

A zillion years ago, my aunt and uncle sent me the Betty Crocker cookbook as an engagement present
the very cookbook you're talking about. It actually taught me how to cook, as the recipes were so
simple, simply explained and taught some basic techniques. It also fired up a latent passion for
cooking. Now, my cookbooks cover an entire 6' tall bookshelf. I may have a ton of favorite recipes
in Now You're Cooking, but I still like to rummage through my cookbooks for Something Else.

And I still have my mother's box of handwritten recipe index cards. Some of them I will never make
again (such as an 1890s recipe for nut bread from my great-great-grandmother and was so chewy that I
could have used it for a doorstop), but it's fun to have as a keepsake.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"