Favourite cycling places

John Hearns

Guest
OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.

Me:Scotland - forest roads behind Balmaha, Loch Lomond

SE England - Oxleas Woods. Good view, and great cafe.

Durham - Hesket Newmarket (when it isn't raining) Any indoor velodrome (when it is) The criterium
course, Farum, Denmark The Ardeche

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.
>
> Me:Scotland - forest roads behind Balmaha, Loch Lomond
>
> SE England - Oxleas Woods. Good view, and great cafe.

Oxleas Woods? What is there? I've never been there but I suppose now you've said that I should make
the effort.

John Hearns wrote:
> OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.
>
> Me:Scotland - forest roads behind Balmaha, Loch Lomond
>
> SE England - Oxleas Woods. Good view, and great cafe.

For a regular ride, Bronte Country, Haworth up to Oxenhope Moor then down to Hebden Bridge

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.

Anywhere new and interesting.

Lots of places that I've done regularly and are still interesting.

Any regular route as it changes through the year.

The Godawari valley in India -- the friendliest people imaginable.

John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
: OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.

In the UK?

Wales, Yorkshire Dales, Wolds and Moors. Area round Long Mynd.

Outside UK?

France. Pretty much any bit with hills.

Malloca

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

> John Hearns wrote:
>> OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.
>>
>> Me:Scotland - forest roads behind Balmaha, Loch Lomond
>>
>> SE England - Oxleas Woods. Good view, and great cafe.

A narrow rising road, the early morning sun on your face, so still you can hear the birds singing
and the streams burbling and great views out over the countryside.

Failing that, there are some really nice places in Scotland (almost anywhere in Strathmore or north
Fife is within riding distance of Dundee and is great cycling.)

..d

On 27/1/04 2:03 pm, in article [email protected],
"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> A narrow rising road, the early morning sun on your face, so still you can hear the birds singing
>> and the streams burbling and great views out over the countryside.
>
> That's Norfolk :)

rising road? views *over* the countryside?

My memories of Norfolk are of being blown around the broads on some wonderful old yachts.. shooting
the bridge at potter heigham on the run without the aid of a motor. Great times.

..d

> Cheers, helen s
>

> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &
> fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> W K <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : But then. I've got more than enough hills round here.
>
> You live in the alps?

I can do a 300m rise in 5 km from here.

When I first tried to commute it included a slope steeper than you'd meet on the way to alpe d'huez.
(as indeed was the road outside my house). A later attempt at commuting (only done twice!) included
a section at 450m.

That might not be "more than enough" for you, but its plenty for me.

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> >rising road? views *over* the countryside?
>
> Err yes. Norfolk isn't all the Broads or the Fens.
>
> Cheers, helen s

No but it is all winds - headwinds at that. I have never been so cold as waiting for a train at
Lingwood station (between Norwich and Acle) with windchill of -15 or so.

I still go back for the Norwich 100 and nothing has changed with regard to the wind

Nice people though

Woody

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.

Off-road: The Peak District and the specially constructed trails in Wales (wow, that rhymes), oh and
the Lake district is nice. On-road: The country lanes of SE Leicestershire and Rutland on a sunny,
windless day because they're quiet, twist and roll gently and I can do it from home with no need to
drive. Just the whirr of my wheels, the sparkle of the spokes and the buzz of insects inside my
plastic beanie :)

--
Pete http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Playtime.html

anywhere in the hills and mountains with no cars about

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.
>
> Me:Scotland - forest roads behind Balmaha, Loch Lomond
>
> SE England - Oxleas Woods. Good view, and great cafe.

Northern Provence in May - warm sunshine, drivers who respect and
encourage you and a gourmet meal at every stop.....:)

John Hearns wrote:

>OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.
>
>Me:Scotland - forest roads behind Balmaha, Loch Lomond
>
>SE England - Oxleas Woods. Good view, and great cafe.

Teesdale Weardale Swaledale Wensleydale Wharfedale Coverdale Cornwall

Originally posted by Sarissa

John Hearns wrote:

>OK, new thread. Favourite cycling places.
>
>Me:Scotland - forest roads behind Balmaha, Loch Lomond
>
>SE England - Oxleas Woods. Good view, and great cafe.

Agree with you Sarissa. Vaucluse department of Provence in March/April or late September. Hauntingly beautiful landscapes. Sublime food and drink. Fantastic weather almost guaranteed. Been there five times. Plan on cycling there this year after the racing season is over. May even be tempted to ride up Mont Ventoux if i feel strong enough :D

Spanish Pyrenees, Ainsa, Bielsa tunnel road. Gredos mountains in Spain. West of Scotland, Mull,
Skye, Harris. Most of West of Ireland. Devon and Cornwall. (Haven't cycled anywhere else in
England yet, but will). Coastal Brittany (not bad). Dolomites. Corsica, especially around Piana.
Sardinia. Bavaria.

If I were to choose one place right now...in good weather..

Foot of Benmore on Mull.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 06:49:17 -0000, Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee wrote:

> West of Scotland, Mull, Skye, Harris. Most of West of Ireland. Devon and Cornwall. (Haven't cycled
> anywhere else in England yet, but will).

Why not go to Wales? Easy crossing for you.

--
Michael MacClancy Random pleonasm - "Cure suggestibility with hypnosis." www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
www.macclancy.co.uk