Favourite music / musician

ryan_velo. said:
I like Iron maiden alot too, their songs are interesting. Most of them have to do with war & history.
When i was young and foolish i was a huge fan, i collected thier stuff a lot...records, posters and the like..

now that i am old and foolish i have mellowed a bit...but i did go and see Megadeth in Glasgow 2 years ago...it was just like the old days...

we used to go to gigs most weekends....

Now, is it me or was Cheryl Crow dreadful even before she was shagging LA?

I am glad i dont fall into that trap of having to like the ***** and her 'music' just because she is humping my fave sports star and idol...

its nothing to do with disliking Merkins...look, Megadeth are Merkins (see above)

G'day you lot of bloody heathens, have you no respect, what's wrong with...............and also but not only...............and don't forget........?

He was absolutely briliant too......I listen to the sounds of the sea.....?

Living like I do on the bay..........it's so peaceful..............................?

Get real........ "Mark Knophler" & "Dire Straits", "Cotton Pickers Dream"..?

"Enigma"...all the albums......."Loreena McKennit" the Book of Secrets...?

"Billy Joel", Songs In The Attic, track 1. Miami..(seen the lights go out on broadway) Played at volume 9 surround sound? Really pisses the neighbours right off, guaranteed?

And last but not least.."Sacred Spirit"......... Indiginous American Music and Dance Rythm....takes me back to my previous incarnation...I Kid You Not..?

That's why I don't like the Modern Americans, and the disgraceful way they treated the Indiginous Americans, who I might remind you, were there first.

So stick that in yer Peace Pipes and smoke it......?

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, or you might find a tomahawk aimed at the back of yer head? TBC

ryan_velo. said:
I like the band to lim, one of my favorites. Bob Dylan is my favorite, the doors, hendrix, steve earl, towns vansant, classical & jazz, john prine, beatals, the stones, and others. I also have a dislike for most modern music.

The Band were excellent - Music from the Big Pink, The Last Waltz.
Both great albums.

Dylan is good too.
Blonde on Blonde being my favourite - although I like John Wesley Harding too.
Saw Dylan play Slane in 1984 here in Ireland.

Hendrix - now there was man who could play guitar.
"Hey Joe" and "Purple Haze".

MountainPro said:

Now, is it me or was Cheryl Crow dreadful even before she was shagging LA?

She is/was dreadful.

We have a saying in this country - "she ought to be shot with a ball of her own ****".

This phrase springs to mind, when I think of her.

limerickman said:
Now that we're on to favourites : what music do you listen to ?

I usually work away on the PC listening to the Beatles, The Band, Cream.
Bought Echoes (the Best of Pink Floyd) at Christmas and have been listening to
the Floyd for the past couple of weeks.

Modern stuff doesn't really interest me to be honest.

I listen to all kinds of stuff really...

Metal (ac/dc, Iron maiden, Judas Priest, slayer, black sabbath,...)
Punk (Clash, dead kennedies, sham 69, exploited, Ramones,...)
rock/pop (beatles, police, Bowie, Kinks, pixies, Stones, Joy Division...)
also a huge rockabilly fan - early Elvis, Gene Vincent and also Stray Cats,
meteors, etc... Even some old country (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash)

If I have to pick my top bands I'd pick The Clash, The Ramones, AC/DC, The police and the Beatles,
cause those we're the bands I listened to the most growing up...

Jupiler said:
Even some old country (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash)
oh my god...i have to admit that own an CD by Johnny Cash and i said i hate country...

actually Live at San Quentin is quite a record...my father used to listen to it when i was a boy and i saw it in a record shop recently and bought it for a fiver..

none of your namby pamby country ****, Cash is a real old fashioned hard man....i like that.

I wouldn't write-off Hank Williams.
I picked up a CD of his last year and it's quite good.
Can't say that I am a big C&W fan but I have grown to like H Williams.
Very distinctive voice and very raw.
I am glad I bought that CD.

Johnny Cash is the real deal - my father too had Live at Saint Quentin as well and I grew up listening to his music.
I like J Cash.

FredC said:
The best bass players in Jazz used double basses, and along with the Piano made the foundations for the musicians to extemporise on the variable melody lines. Pastorius is a cacophony of selfish sound, and anything with the attachment of fusion is nothing but a collection of them pissing into the wind as far far as they can.

I guess I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying, which is very possible. For me, just because the instrument is a bass doesn't mean it should only do time as a section of rhythm. Great bass players ARE those who can lay down the bass line and do so tightly, but just because a bass player wants to express himself/herself by melodically emprovising during the song doesn't make it "pissing into the wind". It ADDS to the flavor of the music, giving it another aspect and level of interest beyond what other forms of music have. How less interesting would the Flecktones be if Victor Wooten didn't do his thing? Oteil Burbridge on a 6 string bass [for me] is a wonderous thing to hear, and even when those kinds of bass lines are in a song, I believe it even moreso creates "mind food" for the listener.

Now, of course, that style of music isn't for everyone. Someone may like the classical jazz sound, as do I. I enjoy a good double bass player. John Pattitucci [sp?] comes to mind, but as with a lot of things in this world, that's the reason why there are so many styles of music. People have their own likes and dislikes.

Even so, I will add that there are forms of music [you can fill in the blanks] that are [in the area of music theory] superior than others. I tend to gravitate towards those.

*Stepping off soap box.*

limerickman said:
Alexis Korner - godfather of British R&B.
Blues Incorporated.

Korner gave a start to many of the great R&B instrumentalists.
I like the early R&B stuff : which was driven by Clapton, Page, John Paul Jones,Steve Windwood, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker.
Manfred Mann.
The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger sitting on his chairs singing R&B at the Crawaddy Club.
All started/inspired by Korner.
I was, and still am to be able to say that both my friend and I got to know Alex quite well when he played in Manchester in the winter months when we came home for the social season, both at the Bodega, and especially at the 43 Club, I vaguely seem to remember him playing at the Clarendon with Graham Bond, **** Heckstall-Smith, and Art Theman. He let John Mayall up on stage once at the Bodega (early days) didn't think much of him then, and still don't.

PseudoTrek said:
I guess I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Unless I misunderstood what you were saying, which is very possible. For me, just because the instrument is a bass doesn't mean it should only do time as a section of rhythm. Great bass players ARE those who can lay down the bass line and do so tightly, but just because a bass player wants to express himself/herself by melodically emprovising during the song doesn't make it "pissing into the wind". It ADDS to the flavor of the music, giving it another aspect and level of interest beyond what other forms of music have. How less interesting would the Flecktones be if Victor Wooten didn't do his thing? Oteil Burbridge on a 6 string bass [for me] is a wonderous thing to hear, and even when those kinds of bass lines are in a song, I believe it even moreso creates "mind food" for the listener.

Now, of course, that style of music isn't for everyone. Someone may like the classical jazz sound, as do I. I enjoy a good double bass player. John Pattitucci [sp?] comes to mind, but as with a lot of things in this world, that's the reason why there are so many styles of music. People have their own likes and dislikes.

Even so, I will add that there are forms of music [you can fill in the blanks] that are [in the area of music theory] superior than others. I tend to gravitate towards those.

*Stepping off soap box.*
I think we are at crossed threads here, I am not denigrating bass players like Pastorious, I was trying to point out that the Rhythm section shouldn't start pushing their way to the front against the melody line(s). It' surprising how often it happens. My record producing gambling friend was a bass player with Steve Harley Cockney Rebel and the Steve Miller Band, the only thing from that era he keeps up with is pill popping. Lives on royalties.

FredC said:
I think we are at crossed threads here, I am not denigrating bass players like Pastorious, I was trying to point out that the Rhythm section shouldn't start pushing their way to the front against the melody line(s). It' surprising how often it happens. My record producing gambling friend was a bass player with Steve Harley Cockney Rebel and the Steve Miller Band, the only thing from that era he keeps up with is pill popping. Lives on royalties.

Ah. I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Tasteful licks are good as long as the foundation is laid for the song. :)

I like real rock:)

ASIA [and not just their 80s stuff]
April Wine [and not just their 80s stuff]
Badlands
Bloodgood
Boston
Bad Company
BenParkDRive www.benparkdrive.com if you like Creed check them out
Chicago Transit Authority
Cheap Trick
Deep Purple
ELO
Foghat
Foodfighters
Gillian
Heart
Iggy Pop
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull
Krokus
Lynard Skinard
Loudness
Mountain
Montrose
Motley Hatchet
Nazareth highly recommend Fool Circle though it may be two mellow for hard core rockers
Neil Young
Ozzy
Pink Floyd
Queensrique
Ratt
Rainbow
Rush up to Grace under Pressure
Saxon
Triumph
Ted Nugent
UFO
Uriah Heep
U2
Velvit Relvoler though I expected them to be better. Really have not gotten into them
Whitesnake
XTC
You Call That Art? www.youcallthat-art.com check out their MP3s
Yes
Y & T
Zebra
ZZTop prior to Elimator

Country is good for a change of pace but rock uberallas.

PseudoTrek said:
Ah. I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Tasteful licks are good as long as the foundation is laid for the song. :)
Somewhere near I suppose, I always liked the Sin Sisters, a bit of a lottery really, but they did have a penchant for bike racers, and then there was....reputations, paternity suits, moving residence, no wonder we rode so fast from place to place. I got captured by a non cycling woman in France. Lack of concentration on the road ahead. You know how fame goes to your head? She ran off with another man, she told him she was married to.....,, he's no good, he's wandering around Europe on a bike with all those trollops at his beck and call. He lost.

PseudoTrek said:
Just listening to Ramsay Lewis ( presenting) on Jazz FM radio. Hey how about a valve Hammond B3 with twin Lesleytone speakers? I can afford one, I just can't play one. Jimmy Smith, one of the best. Any Ideas?

PseudoTrek said:
Does anyone know how to play a drumkit these days. The worst thing to happen is drum and bass loops, and bands that can't play a 2 hour concert without sound overcrap. Just stick with bands that can come out to play.
Nearly dead now, you can have the **** bedroom air guitarists, that applies here also. My pal is a record producer of some note, and he assures me that he can deliver a package of sound that will take some beating, unfortunately there will be nobody available to stage it, and a concert.

FredC said:
Does anyone know how to play a drumkit these days. The worst thing to happen is drum and bass loops, and bands that can't play a 2 hour concert without sound overcrap. Just stick with bands that can come out to play.
Nearly dead now, you can have the **** bedroom air guitarists, that applies here also. My pal is a record producer of some note, and he assures me that he can deliver a package of sound that will take some beating, unfortunately there will be nobody available to stage it, and a concert.

Seems to be a real dearth in great drummers these days.
I heard someone say that Phil Collins is the best drummer around now.
Granted he was a good drummer but he's getting on a bit now and this just shows you how little talent there actually is.

I watched the Who play at the Albert Hall - Ringo's son (Zak Starkey) was their drummer for the show and he was excellent.
I can also recommend Paul McCartney's drummer on his world tour in 2003.
He was big burly guy - didn't get his name but he reminded me of John Bonham.
Very good.

For me - the greatest drummers were Ginger Baker and Keith Moon.
Th drummer with a group called Blondie - used to mimic Moon's antics.

My Dad is a big jazz man and I have beard Gene Kruppa (synchopated style)
and he was very good.
But my knowledge of Jazz is pretty small to be honest.

limerickman said:
Seems to be a real dearth in great drummers these days.
I heard someone say that Phil Collins is the best drummer around now.
Granted he was a good drummer but he's getting on a bit now and this just shows you how little talent there actually is.

I watched the Who play at the Albert Hall - Ringo's son (Zak Starkey) was their drummer for the show and he was excellent.
I can also recommend Paul McCartney's drummer on his world tour in 2003.
He was big burly guy - didn't get his name but he reminded me of John Bonham.
Very good.

For me - the greatest drummers were Ginger Baker and Keith Moon.
Th drummer with a group called Blondie - used to mimic Moon's antics.

My Dad is a big jazz man and I have beard Gene Kruppa (synchopated style)
and he was very good.
But my knowledge of Jazz is pretty small to be honest.
Oh dear, the situation is much worse than I thought. Death please come and take me away from this ghastly scenario of button pushers. Otherwise all my previous enjoyment of music would have been but a dream.

FredC said:
Oh dear, the situation is much worse than I thought. Death please come and take me away from this ghastly scenario of button pushers. Otherwise all my previous enjoyment of music would have been but a dream.

The music scene is dying these days.

The King is Number 1 in the singles chart and he's been dead 28 years !
I like a lot of Presley's stuff - Sun records, early stuff - but he must be laughing his head off at the thought of a bloke dead for 28 years topping the charts with little or no opposition.

The royalties in the music industry and the income for great bands, is guaranteed.
With the lack of creative music these days, they can remaster stuff and reissue it, knowing that the public will buy quality stuff.
Still listening to Echoes here by Pink Floyd - absolutely superb stuff.
They split in 1983 !

Maybe I'm an old fart - but I can't see people buying Girls Aloud, in 28 years
time (not for the music anyway).