Favourite music / musician

FredC said:
Oh dear, the situation is much worse than I thought. Death please come and take me away from this ghastly scenario of button pushers. Otherwise all my previous enjoyment of music would have been but a dream.

G'day Fred, here's a bit of old stuff, back in 1953 I was recieving tuition, ten bob a lesson, from a one "Reg Clamtree", he played up in town, don't ask where, he wouldn't say, maybe didn't know. One of his other pupils was a one "Johny Scrivens", he too became a drummer up in town, don't ask where he wouldn't say, maybe didn't know.

Johny Scriven had a magnificent track iron that he used to flash around on, his parents were rich, this bike was a fancy lugged job with sprints and tubs, but I can't remember what make, I just knew I wanted one of them.

My parents couldn't afford one of them so I just rode my bitsa bike and could always whip his grass on my old bike, which ****** him off so he stopped talking to me and we drifted apart. Eventually I bought on hire purchase a brand new "Dawes Clansman" with three speed Simplex, I was a baron?

Reg Clamtree's idol's were, I'm only guessing of the authenticity of the names, "Gene Krupa and Lionel Hampton", I seem to remember he had vynil 33.3rpm records that he played on a radiogram and would drum to in time to. He would sit and listen, beat time on his knees, shut his eyes and get lost like he was on something, maybe he was, but he knew how to do it, and had a kit of "Premier Drums"? (Red Pearl and Chrome) set up in his flat in Romford Road at Forest Gate, East London.

Reg insisted that I never touch a pig skin until I was proficient at the parra didle, (l.r.ll.r.l.rr) the standard roll, (ll.rr.ll.rr.ll.rr) etc., the flam and of course the drag.

He insisted I only ever practise on a rubber pad with military sticks, he gave me a set of exercises to do daily, which involved holding the sticks in both hands, and twisting the sticks until one hand was inside out to the other then reversing the exerecise, then I had to shake my hands he said as if I had hot water buning them. I did this religiously ever day and practised dilligently, however mother didn't like the constant noise, as she put, one day while at work,(Goldberg The Tailors) my sticks and pad disappeared.

Anybody seen my sticks and pad, silence?

Father says in a "Father to Son" chat, "do you think drumming is a very good job, it's usually night work in smokey halls, not very nice people"....."I'll leave the decision up to you son". By the way I think you pad and sticks went out to the dustbin yesterday, Mum was getting nervous about the tapping noise?

Fred I could have been a contender? Cut off in me prime? I could have been your hero? Oh the shame of it, what more can I say.

At the moment I'm in the process of making a set of Bongo's, I've made a pair of "Fibre Glass" tapered tubes, with lookalike wood veneer outsides, now all I have to do is devise a set of clamps and get a piece of pigskin for the faces?

Then I can drive my missus mad just like I did my old Mum? TBC

FredC said:
Does anyone know how to play a drumkit these days. The worst thing to happen is drum and bass loops, and bands that can't play a 2 hour concert without sound overcrap. Just stick with bands that can come out to play.
Nearly dead now, you can have the **** bedroom air guitarists, that applies here also. My pal is a record producer of some note, and he assures me that he can deliver a package of sound that will take some beating, unfortunately there will be nobody available to stage it, and a concert.

G'day Fred, mate another blast from the past, I was fiddling about in the shed this morning, cleaning up and polishing me bike. When I spied a box under the bench, it had a lot of really old 45's, so I had a look at some of the contents and there before my very eyes was "The Driving Louis Bellsom" (The Hawk Talks-For Europeans Only-Basie) and also "Bellson plays Bellson" (Skin Deep-Phalanges-Caxton Hall Swing), as well as them two was "Errol Garner's" "Concert By The Sea" (Where Or When-I'll Remember April-Autumn Leaves) Eddie Calhoun on bass, Denzil Best on drums, and Errol Garner on piano.

I used to listen to a lot of modern Jazz, but got out of the habit, Specs Powell and various others that I can't name at present. Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk as Trad Jazz muso's, my missus liked dancing trad jazz "Fleet Street Jazz Club", I remember spending many a night there getting all hot and sweaty?

Kenny Ball had a nice little gaff just a few miles from My Dads place at Wanstead, posh in those days, he sort of lived it up, had two cars, a Rover and a Wolsley 4/44.

I remember one night going to the "Horse of the Year Show" at Haringay Arena, and who should be sitting right in front of me and the missus, but "Lionel Hampton" he was a great horse lover, I talked to him and he said he always wanted to own a show jumper. That night Pat Smyth, and Wilf White were jumping, I can't remember Pat's horse's name but Wilf was riding "Nisefella".

Well that's all I can say at present except I'll have to play them 45's tomorrow just for the sake of listening to god old Jazz? TBC

Brian Cotgrove said:
G'day Fred, here's a bit of old stuff, back in 1953 I was recieving tuition, ten bob a lesson, from a one "Reg Clamtree", he played up in town, don't ask where, he wouldn't say, maybe didn't know. One of his other pupils was a one "Johny Scrivens", he too became a drummer up in town, don't ask where he wouldn't say, maybe didn't know.

Johny Scriven had a magnificent track iron that he used to flash around on, his parents were rich, this bike was a fancy lugged job with sprints and tubs, but I can't remember what make, I just knew I wanted one of them.

My parents couldn't afford one of them so I just rode my bitsa bike and could always whip his grass on my old bike, which ****** him off so he stopped talking to me and we drifted apart. Eventually I bought on hire purchase a brand new "Dawes Clansman" with three speed Simplex, I was a baron?

Reg Clamtree's idol's were, I'm only guessing of the authenticity of the names, "Gene Krupa and Lionel Hampton", I seem to remember he had vynil 33.3rpm records that he played on a radiogram and would drum to in time to. He would sit and listen, beat time on his knees, shut his eyes and get lost like he was on something, maybe he was, but he knew how to do it, and had a kit of "Premier Drums"? (Red Pearl and Chrome) set up in his flat in Romford Road at Forest Gate, East London.

Reg insisted that I never touch a pig skin until I was proficient at the parra didle, (l.r.ll.r.l.rr) the standard roll, (ll.rr.ll.rr.ll.rr) etc., the flam and of course the drag.

He insisted I only ever practise on a rubber pad with military sticks, he gave me a set of exercises to do daily, which involved holding the sticks in both hands, and twisting the sticks until one hand was inside out to the other then reversing the exerecise, then I had to shake my hands he said as if I had hot water buning them. I did this religiously ever day and practised dilligently, however mother didn't like the constant noise, as she put, one day while at work,(Goldberg The Tailors) my sticks and pad disappeared.

Anybody seen my sticks and pad, silence?

Father says in a "Father to Son" chat, "do you think drumming is a very good job, it's usually night work in smokey halls, not very nice people"....."I'll leave the decision up to you son". By the way I think you pad and sticks went out to the dustbin yesterday, Mum was getting nervous about the tapping noise?

Fred I could have been a contender? Cut off in me prime? I could have been your hero? Oh the shame of it, what more can I say.

At the moment I'm in the process of making a set of Bongo's, I've made a pair of "Fibre Glass" tapered tubes, with lookalike wood veneer outsides, now all I have to do is devise a set of clamps and get a piece of pigskin for the faces?

Then I can drive my missus mad just like I did my old Mum? TBC
Might be grasping at drumsticks here. Now Scrivens is not a common name is it? One of the co-owners of the '43 Club' in Manchester was named Eric Scrivens, he started the gaff with Ernie Gartside. saw some great stuff there in the winters
Yeh, hows de paras digglin on de bongo tings? Jesus man, ye shud b'back in Lewsham, doin' honky stuff in de chuch, an singin de ancient gospel **** hehehehe. We not doin' dat communion white bread stuff any more.
I will credit where it's due. The Africans are non smoking, non drinking, and in general good citizens, and not given over to violent conduct. It's them Sarf ov de river honkies, dat cause all de trouble for the fuzz.

FredC said:
Might be grasping at drumsticks here. Now Scrivens is not a common name is it? One of the co-owners of the '43 Club' in Manchester was named Eric Scrivens, he started the gaff with Ernie Gartside. saw some great stuff there in the winters
Yeh, hows de paras digglin on de bongo tings? Jesus man, ye shud b'back in Lewsham, doin' honky stuff in de chuch, an singin de ancient gospel **** hehehehe. We not doin' dat communion white bread stuff any more.
I will credit where it's due. The Africans are non smoking, non drinking, and in general good citizens, and not given over to violent conduct. It's them Sarf ov de river honkies, dat cause all de trouble for the fuzz.

G'day Fred, Mate I have been tryin' not to get involved with the church for years. My eldest Son and his Good Wife, took to being "Born Again Christians" when they lost two Children in a year.

It broke all our hearts, but I just couldn't cop all that arm waving and repeating the same, lordy, lordy stuff over and over and over again?

I believe what I believe, I'm very fortunate, I'm one of God's Chosen People, I'm lucky beyond belief, I travel with him beside me, always, (Footprints in the Sand)?

Johny Scriven would be about the same age as me, maybe a year or so younger or older, might be his son too, he didn't go to my Secondary Modern School, but "West Ham Grama" very posh, as I sid his parents were rich?

Keep the wheels inmotion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC

Just announced : The Cream are to reform and play four concerts in the Royal Albert Hall - four dates in May 2005.

Favorite band-The Clash, quite possible the ONLY thing ever to come out of the UK that was worth a F%$k.

OK I’ll have to admit, those drab dank little islands, filled with their inbred self-important effeminate snobs can drum up some good music.

Oh, yea, the beers not bad either

I like all different types of music, but at the moment am loving Maroon 5, Green Day and some of Simple Plan's stuff.

Espada9 said:
Favorite band-The Clash, quite possible the ONLY thing ever to come out of the UK that was worth a F%$k.

OK I’ll have to admit, those drab dank little islands, filled with their inbred self-important effeminate snobs can drum up some good music.

Yes the Clash....played them regularly in my mustang gt back in 82....noteworthy but wouldn't consider them my favorite..I would put them in them in the same catagory as the P.furs, the fixx and oingo boingo....on my top 30 list...

Espada9 said:

Make sure to have all your friends and family listen to "I'm so bored with the USA" or "Washington Bullets"!!

Jupiler said:
Make sure to have all your friends and family listen to "I'm so bored with the USA" or "Washington Bullets"!!
Great songs, but it takes a moron to get his political ideology from a musician/actor/artist.
Who is the expert here in history or geopolitics?

Would you go to an actor for sound financial advise? How about seeking out medical advise from a talk show host?

Just because some one has a strong opinion and a large audience doesn’t mean they have a clue about the subject they preach about.

I'm very eclectic:
Loreena McKinnett
The Chieftains
Tool
Robyn Hitchcock (his most recent one with Gillian Welch kicks ass)
The Flaming Lips
Steve Earle (for President!!)
Emmylou Harris
Richard Thompson
Camper Van Beethoven
The Clash
Sham 69
The Stranglers
DEVO
Deke Dickerson
Webb Wilder
Los Straitjackets
The Mulchmen (surf instrumental-www.bigbeef.com)
The Dufay Collective (medieval music)
The Waverly Consort (medieval)
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
The Who
Bach
Gabrielli
Charles Ives
Gershwin
Esquivel
Enoch Light
Martin Denny
Lemon Jelly
Coltrane
Miles Davis
Tom Waits
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Andrew Bird
Dresden Dolls
The Pixies
Sonic Youth
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Steve Reich
Laurie Anderson
Beck
Allman Brothers
. . .
-I could go on.

birdman23 said:
Gotta be U2. Hands down, bar none the best band in the world.
Perhaps the best "living band"...The beatles were and will always be the "Best band hands down"...

zapper said:
Perhaps the best "living band"...The beatles were and will always be the "Best band hands down"...
The Beatles are awesome and it was a tight call for me. I had to think about it as if I were stuck on an island and only had one band to listen to. If I had two choices on the island it would definitely be U2 and the Beatles. :)

birdman23 said:
The Beatles are awesome and it was a tight call for me. I had to think about it as if I were stuck on an island and only had one band to listen to. If I had two choices on the island it would definitely be U2 and the Beatles. :)
Close call for me as well but if I were stuck on a Island then I might want Ann/Nancy wilson(in their younger days)....on the Island.

zapper said:
Close call for me as well but if I were stuck on a Island then I might want Ann/Nancy wilson(in their younger days)....on the Island.
Lol. I think I would want Catherine Zeta Jones...on the island or Beyonce Knowles. :D

limerickman said:
Now that we're on to favourites : what music do you listen to ?

I usually work away on the PC listening to the Beatles, The Band, Cream.
Bought Echoes (the Best of Pink Floyd) at Christmas and have been listening to
the Floyd for the past couple of weeks.

Modern stuff doesn't really interest me to be honest.

Just been listening to Thin Lizzy´s live good bye album and wondering is it meant to sound like that or did I get a duff copy . ( local tv showed the 1981 live concert last night )
still playing my original copy of Shades of a Blue Orphanage though - bring back vinyl . :cool: