Favourite music / musician



FredC

New Member
Oct 22, 2004
2,859
0
0
zapper said:
Right.....but you aren't Fred so.....

When I first logged on here I didn't even know what size bike I wanted let alone which brand, model or frame material. What type of shoes, cleats, cycle computer etc...Received some very good advice here..Learn something new everyday. Even learn a thing or two from you slobs... ;)
You're right, I suppose that I take the knowledge gained over 54 years for granted.... but some of the stupid q's asked are beyond belief.
How you lot transformed a chain into a drivetrain (oxymoron) and Campagnolo, always known to us as Campag. for short into Campy which sounds like a *** name. I cannot for the life of me imagine a UK cyclist saying Campy, he'd get laughed out of town with limp wristed gestures.
 

zapper

Banned
Mar 11, 2004
2,495
0
0
FredC said:
You're right, I suppose that I take the knowledge gained over 54 years for granted.... but some of the stupid q's asked are beyond belief.
How you lot transformed a chain into a drivetrain (oxymoron) and Campagnolo, always known to us as Campag. for short into Campy which sounds like a *** name. I cannot for the life of me imagine a UK cyclist saying Campy, he'd get laughed out of town with limp wristed gestures.
Can't vouch for the Drive train dillio but I assume the "campy" moniker came from the word camp i.e. "providing sophisticated amusement". So compared to shimano...the use of "Campy" parts provide us with a little "sophisticated amusement"???
 

FredC

New Member
Oct 22, 2004
2,859
0
0
zapper said:
Can't vouch for the Drive train dillio but I assume the "campy" moniker came from the word camp i.e. "providing sophisticated amusement". So compared to shimano...the use of "Campy" parts provide us with a little "sophisticated amusement"???
So you can have a Campy Shimmy with music by Drivetrain then.
 

davidmc

New Member
Jun 23, 2004
3,415
0
0
limerickman said:
Now that we're on to favourites : what music do you listen to ?

I usually work away on the PC listening to the Beatles, The Band, Cream.
Bought Echoes (the Best of Pink Floyd) at Christmas and have been listening to
the Floyd for the past couple of weeks.

Modern stuff doesn't really interest me to be honest.
Pink Floyd is a very difficult act to follow. I just recently, within the past two years, really listened to their music in earnest. I was usually high on weed and/or lager & other "recreational" drugs ;) when i 1st gave it a listen. Right now, an irish band seems to be-on top-so to speak-U2, in world wide popularity & for good reason !!! :)
In a nutshell- Jimi Hendrix Experience, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath (Ozzie !!!) Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, Bach, Chopin, Mozart, Frank Zappa (wicked good guitar & vocals), Jeff Beck, Ian Anderson-Jethro Tull, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Scorpions, MegaDeath, ect...
 

zapper

Banned
Mar 11, 2004
2,495
0
0
davidmc said:
Pink Floyd is a very difficult act to follow. I just recently, within the past two years, really listened to their music in earnest. I was usually high on weed and/or lager & other "recreational" drugs ;) when i 1st gave it a listen. Right now, an irish band seems to be-on top-so to speak-U2, in world wide popularity & for good reason !!! :)
In a nutshell- Jimi Hendrix Experience, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath (Ozzie !!!) Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, Bach, Chopin, Mozart, Frank Zappa (wicked good guitar & vocals), Jeff Beck, Ian Anderson-Jethro Tull, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Scorpions, MegaDeath, ect...
So then you know what the song "shine on you crazy diamond" is about...shame actually... :(
 

davidmc

New Member
Jun 23, 2004
3,415
0
0

FredC

New Member
Oct 22, 2004
2,859
0
0
davidmc said:
Pink Floyd is a very difficult act to follow. I just recently, within the past two years, really listened to their music in earnest. I was usually high on weed and/or lager & other "recreational" drugs ;) when i 1st gave it a listen. Right now, an irish band seems to be-on top-so to speak-U2, in world wide popularity & for good reason !!! :)
In a nutshell- Jimi Hendrix Experience, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath (Ozzie !!!) Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, Bach, Chopin, Mozart, Frank Zappa (wicked good guitar & vocals), Jeff Beck, Ian Anderson-Jethro Tull, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Scorpions, MegaDeath, ect...
What about Mark Knopfler, great guitarist?
 

zapper

Banned
Mar 11, 2004
2,495
0
0
FredC said:
What about Mark Knopfler, great guitarist?
Indeed very good. Loved Dire straits early stuff...Shame after the Commercial hit "Mtv" they faded away....
 

davidmc

New Member
Jun 23, 2004
3,415
0
0
FredC said:
What about Mark Knopfler, great guitarist?
Oh yes, his sound (unique metal hollow-body, guitar) is very unique & pleasing. I bought one of their vinyl records, in what? 1983? Incidentally-from where does he hail?
 

zapper

Banned
Mar 11, 2004
2,495
0
0
davidmc said:
Oh yes, his sound (unique metal hollow-body, guitar) is very unique & pleasing. I bought one of their vinyl records, in what? 1983? Incidentally-from where does he hail?
I think he was one of those bloddy skirt wearing inports from scotland...BUT....He could sure play. At least he didn't come up with some one hit wonder S A T UR DAY NIIIIGHT...not we've covered the good and the bad from scotland guess we'll consider pro the ugly???
 

FredC

New Member
Oct 22, 2004
2,859
0
0
davidmc said:
Oh yes, his sound (unique metal hollow-body, guitar) is very unique & pleasing. I bought one of their vinyl records, in what? 1983? Incidentally-from where does he hail?
Born in Glasgow Scotland. Moved to and lived in Newcastle on Tyne.
 

davidmc

New Member
Jun 23, 2004
3,415
0
0
zapper said:
I think he was one of those bloddy skirt wearing inports from scotland...BUT....He could sure play. At least he didn't come up with some one hit wonder S A T UR DAY NIIIIGHT...not we've covered the good and the bad from scotland guess we'll consider pro the ugly???
My fav. band of my youth was from "over there" (England). Led Zeppelin. I even have this tattoo on my left bicep. Got it while I was stationed in "Cali" (1987-88) in the 3rd Fleet.
 

davidmc

New Member
Jun 23, 2004
3,415
0
0
FredC said:
Born in Glasgow Scotland. Moved to and lived in Newcastle on Tyne.
I would suspect he is living comfortably, if he saved &/or invested his earnings. I'd love to hear him play, even today.
 

FredC

New Member
Oct 22, 2004
2,859
0
0
davidmc said:
I would suspect he is living comfortably, if he saved &/or invested his earnings. I'd love to hear him play, even today.
He's still working on Tours everywhere, I'm sure being a good Scot he's saved his pennies. I've just been listening to a bit of his stuff. It's beautiful.
I think I've mentioned this before. Jeff Beck calls in the betting shop now and again, and Francis Rossi from Status Quo lives nearby, and I often see him in the bottle shop (liquor). He recently bought a new TV, and when they delivered it he had to sign about 20 copies of the delivery sheet for obvious reasons. Ronnie Woods of the Rolling Stones doesn't live that far away either. Oh yeh, then there's John Surtees, world motorbike AND racing car champion. Nobody will ever do that again, then there's me. Oh yes, nearly forgot my pal, played bass with the Steve Miller band as well as Steve Harley Cockney rebel, he lives on royalties because he did a bit of Cliff Richard stuff.
 

davidmc

New Member
Jun 23, 2004
3,415
0
0
FredC said:
He's still working on Tours everywhere, I'm sure being a good Scot he's saved his pennies. I've just been listening to a bit of his stuff. It's beautiful.
I think I've mentioned this before. Jeff Beck calls in the betting shop now and again, and Francis Rossi from Status Quo lives nearby, and I often see him in the bottle shop (liquor). He recently bought a new TV, and when they delivered it he had to sign about 20 copies of the delivery sheet for obvious reasons. Ronnie Woods of the Rolling Stones doesn't live that far away either. Oh yeh, then there's John Surtees, world motorbike AND racing car champion. Nobody will ever do that again, then there's me. Oh yes, nearly forgot my pal, played bass with the Steve Miller band as well as Steve Harley Cockney rebel, he lives on royalties because he did a bit of Cliff Richard stuff.
Alas, our country is too vast to live next door to someone of the repute you spaek of. Knopfler sounds German/Scandinavian? Jeff Beck album-"Wired" I grew up on it, highly recommended w/ Jan Hammer (http://www.janhammer.com/) on keyboards. Let him know, for me if it's not too much trouble, that he has a huge fan in Virginia. If he has an extra autographed guitar, I'll message you my address :) .