Favourite music / musician

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Now that we're on to favourites : what music do you listen to ?

I usually work away on the PC listening to the Beatles, The Band, Cream.
Bought Echoes (the Best of Pink Floyd) at Christmas and have been listening to
the Floyd for the past couple of weeks.

Modern stuff doesn't really interest me to be honest.

limerickman said:

i like everything from folk to metal to classical.

the only stuff i dont really like is reagae, r&b, country music and pop shite like Busted et al..

when i was young i was a big fan of heavy metal, bands like Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead....everything really. But these days i am happy to put on some Clannad, Capercaillie etc... i still listen to metal but its more Goth like Paradise Lost, Opeth, Therion and Anathema

i like the popular classics too such as the Brandenburg Concertos, Handels Water Music and Beethovens Symphonic work. ..

pretty diverse.

on my mp3 player at the moment i have the Pogues, Dubliners, Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys....man their rendition on 'The Rocky Road to Dublin' is fantastic...or dare i say awesome?

limerickman said:

That's a tough one! There's so much good music out there!My tastes are broad, ranging from country to classical.

Favorite all around electric guitarist I would have to say is Carlos Santana.......Really like J.S. Bach......But I'm spending a lot of time listening to various Blues artists right now.

I usually listen to radio. I have 10 stations in memory and so I always find music that suits me. I`ll choose U2, Bruce Springsteen and Chris Rea, but there are a lot more of them.

limerickman said:

I have the complete Beatles library and pinkfloyd Elton John, the Cure. (While I'm at the PC)

Aerosmith Cream, CCR, Rush, The Who and Led Zep and Pink Floyd my faves when I'm working out....

Of course, a little newer stuff sometimes as well like...Hole, Pearl Jam, STP and 9Inch Nails(not so new)

(Newer) sheryl crow, Pink, creed and nickelback.

zapper said:
I have the complete Beatles library and pinkfloyd Elton John, the Cure. (While I'm at the PC)

Aerosmith Cream, CCR, Rush, The Who and Led Zep and Pink Floyd my faves when I'm working out....

Of course, a little newer stuff sometimes as well like...Hole, Pearl Jam, STP and 9Inch Nails(not so new)

(Newer) sheryl crow, Pink, creed and nickelback.

I like the Who and Led Zepplin.

Not very familiar with newer stuff like Hole, Pearl Jam STP etc.
Sheryl Crow - I'm not a fan.

Pink ?
Creed ?
Nickelback ?
I'm too old to take on this newer stuff !

limerickman said:
I like the Who and Led Zepplin.

Not very familiar with newer stuff like Hole, Pearl Jam STP etc.
Hole...Courtney loves band...Don't like courtney but liked her music. Stp=Stone Temple Pilots...like Pearl Jam part of the grunge movement.

Sheryl Crow - I'm not a fan.
I'm sure...This does't surprise me..But I bet she could kick your ass.

Pink ?
Creed ?
Nickelback ?
I'm too old to take on this newer stuff !
And you expect to beat me on the bike? tell you what, once I lose 25lbs...I'll kick your ****!

zapper said:

I'm sure...This does't surprise me..But I bet she could kick your ass.

And you expect to beat me on the bike? tell you what, once I lose 25lbs...I'll kick your ****!

Have heard a couple of Crows songs are they're depressing.
Nothing to do with her flitation with LA.

As regards losing 25lbs - lose the 25lbs if not for cycling sake, for health sake at least.

No point in either of us getting in to a pissing contest about cycling, because it's not the measure of a person anyhow.

limerickman said:

I'm a jazz and blues man... #1. Oscar Peterson's "Blues Etude"
2. John Coltrain
3. Herbbie Mann
4. Mainard Ferguson
just to name a few.

Ruedy said:
That's a tough one! There's so much good music out there!My tastes are broad, ranging from country to classical.

Favorite all around electric guitarist I would have to say is Carlos Santana.......Really like J.S. Bach......But I'm spending a lot of time listening to various Blues artists right now.
What do you mean by electric guitarist, like Barney Kessel and Wes Montgomery. Do you mean the old bluesmen Waters, Hopkins etc.

Virenque said:
I usually listen to radio. I have 10 stations in memory and so I always find music that suits me. I`ll choose U2, Bruce Springsteen and Chris Rea, but there are a lot more of them.
Chris Rea? also known as musical Dai Rea.

FredC said:
What do you mean by electric guitarist, like Barney Kessel and Wes Montgomery. Do you mean the old bluesmen Waters, Hopkins etc.

OK, OK. Ya got me. I had been listening to Santana a lot at work.

Now I'm back to bluesmen like Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy,
Al King and some more recent fellas like SRV, Mayall, Clapton.

It's not really that accurate to pick out a favorite, I guess.

The Pat Metheny Group is interesting but only a few albums are very good and many others aren't so brilliant. There are 2 in particular that are good: "American Garage" and "As Falls Wichita So Wichita Falls." Basically the older records are best.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jspj=1&id=69080&type=product&ref=03&loc=01

limerickman said:

I am big into jazz: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, Jaco Pastorius, Chick Corea, . . . .

I'm a bass player, so playing along with such music helps me in my practice times, . . . . . . . . .and sometimes keeps me humble.

I have two bass guitars, one a custom made fretless, the other an Extreme Makeover - Bass Edition. A purple colored Peavey, with white pickguard that I made over to be a wood grain bass. For me, natural wood is much better than color.

PseudoTrek said:
I am big into jazz: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, Jaco Pastorius, Chick Corea, . . . .

I'm a bass player, so playing along with such music helps me in my practice times, . . . . . . . . .and sometimes keeps me humble.

I have two bass guitars, one a custom made fretless, the other an Extreme Makeover - Bass Edition. A purple colored Peavey, with white pickguard that I made over to be a wood grain bass. For me, natural wood is much better than color.
Must admit that Pastorius is beyond speed, but that's surely not the point of a bass guitarist in the rhythm section. Much the same applies to Rich , Krupa, and our own Phil Seamon, I've met a few, but the one that impressed the most was, all of them, No, Joe Morello playing a piece on his own in 9/16 or was it 16/9 at a drum clinic in Manchester, England. I knew Phil Seamon when he played for Alexis Korner. The best bass players in Jazz used double basses, and along with the Piano made the foundations for the musicians to extemporise on the variable melody lines. Pastorius is a cacophony of selfish sound, and anything with the attachment of fusion is nothing but a collection of them pissing into the wind as far far as they can.

FredC said:
Must admit that Pastorius is beyond speed, but that's surely not the point of a bass guitarist in the rhythm section. Much the same applies to Rich , Krupa, and our own Phil Seamon, I've met a few, but the one that impressed the most was, all of them, No, Joe Morello playing a piece on his own in 9/16 or was it 16/9 at a drum clinic in Manchester, England. I knew Phil Seamon when he played for Alexis Korner. The best bass players in Jazz used double basses, and along with the Piano made the foundations for the musicians to extemporise on the variable melody lines. Pastorius is a cacophony of selfish sound, and anything with the attachment of fusion is nothing but a collection of them pissing into the wind as far far as they can.

Alexis Korner - godfather of British R&B.
Blues Incorporated.

Korner gave a start to many of the great R&B instrumentalists.
I like the early R&B stuff : which was driven by Clapton, Page, John Paul Jones,Steve Windwood, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker.
Manfred Mann.
The Rolling Stones and Mick Jagger sitting on his chairs singing R&B at the Crawaddy Club.
All started/inspired by Korner.

Trekker2017 said:
I'm a jazz and blues man... #1. Oscar Peterson's "Blues Etude"
2. John Coltrain
3. Herbbie Mann
4. Mainard Ferguson
just to name a few.
Hey you sound like I know you, I knew Maynard Ferguson from his old days in Manchester, England at the 43 Club, you like big bands? what about Rob Mcconnel from Canada?
Kinda Blue, can't get enough stuff.

I like the band to lim, one of my favorites. Bob Dylan is my favorite, the doors, hendrix, steve earl, towns vansant, classical & jazz, john prine, beatals, the stones, and others. I also have a dislike for most modern music.

MountainPro said:
i like everything from folk to metal to classical.

the only stuff i dont really like is reagae, r&b, country music and pop shite like Busted et al..

when i was young i was a big fan of heavy metal, bands like Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Motorhead....everything really. But these days i am happy to put on some Clannad, Capercaillie etc... i still listen to metal but its more Goth like Paradise Lost, Opeth, Therion and Anathema

i like the popular classics too such as the Brandenburg Concertos, Handels Water Music and Beethovens Symphonic work. ..

pretty diverse.

on my mp3 player at the moment i have the Pogues, Dubliners, Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys....man their rendition on 'The Rocky Road to Dublin' is fantastic...or dare i say awesome?
I like Iron maiden alot too, their songs are interesting. Most of them have to do with war & history.