Favourite music / musician

birdman23 said:
Sweet. Thanks MountainPro. I am getting an iPod (I know I am behind the times as just about everyone has an MP3 player nowadays) and I have a ton of CD's I need to convert.
No probs mate,

like Zapper, i also have a MD player and i use that most of the time. I have an MP3 player that i got last year, it cost a packet and is only 256Mb. I only use it as a flash drive for data.

I have never really been turned on by iPod or HDD based MP3 players. 20-40Gb sounds great but do you really need 20,000 songs when you sitting on a train for a 30 min journey?

I would rather shell out the same money for a 2 or 4 gig flash drive. Its solid state (no moving parts) and doesnt damage the internal hard drive if it gets dropped because it uses flash memory a bit like the ram in your computer (only slightly different read/write technology). Hard drives, no matter how much protrction you give them, only have a realistic life span or 3 to 4 years due to wear and tear of the mechanical disks and seek heads. I am waiting for a better technology to come along and i think flash is the future when it comes down in price.

MountainPro said:
No probs mate,

like Zapper, i also have a MD player and i use that most of the time. I have an MP3 player that i got last year, it cost a packet and is only 256Mb. I only use it as a flash drive for data.

I have never really been turned on by iPod or HDD based MP3 players. 20-40Gb sounds great but do you really need 20,000 songs when you sitting on a train for a 30 min journey?

I would rather shell out the same money for a 2 or 4 gig flash drive. Its solid state (no moving parts) and doesnt damage the internal hard drive if it gets dropped because it uses flash memory a bit like the ram in your computer (only slightly different read/write technology). Hard drives, no matter how much protrction you give them, only have a realistic life span or 3 to 4 years due to wear and tear of the mechanical disks and seek heads. I am waiting for a better technology to come along and i think flash is the future when it comes down in price.
I know what you mean. I do worry about taking a spill on the biek and damaging the iPod. I want the 20 GB so I can put all of my cd's on it and then box up the cd's. I thought about getting a flash based MP3 player or one that has SD expansion. But like you said they are fairly expensive and don't hold a lot. ANy recommendations for a flash based MP3 player?

birdman23 said:
I know what you mean. I do worry about taking a spill on the biek and damaging the iPod. I want the 20 GB so I can put all of my cd's on it and then box up the cd's. I thought about getting a flash based MP3 player or one that has SD expansion. But like you said they are fairly expensive and don't hold a lot. ANy recommendations for a flash based MP3 player?
I just load my aerosmith disk, insert ear pod and blast away...Yeah smashing your ipod would be costly...

zapper said:
I just load my aerosmith disk, insert ear pod and blast away...Yeah smashing your ipod would be costly...
Yeah it would be costly. I just keep getting sucked in by the coolness factor. I guess I am a lemming! I honestly never thought about MD players. How much are they and how much are the disks?

I'll listen to most things. Alternative rock, electronica, the blues. Recently I have been tilting towards the Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies and Toadies. Still can't deny the brilliance that is FischerSpooner.

birdman23 said:
Yeah it would be costly. I just keep getting sucked in by the coolness factor. I guess I am a lemming! I honestly never thought about MD players. How much are they and how much are the disks?
I've got a Sony...player/recorders range in price from $110.00 to $600.00 usd..I paid $149.00 for mine a few years ago. You can get an 8pak for about $6.50 under a dollar each. Each disk can hold anywhere from 2 to 5 cd's..depending on recording mode etc...The thing I like is if I drop it while riding, I haven't lost anything...drop that Ipod and it gets run over you have lost not only the player but the associated memory etc...Just something to think about....

zapper said:
I've got a Sony...player/recorders range in price from $110.00 to $600.00 usd..I paid $149.00 for mine a few years ago. You can get an 8pak for about $6.50 under a dollar each. Each disk can hold anywhere from 2 to 5 cd's..depending on recording mode etc...The thing I like is if I drop it while riding, I haven't lost anything...drop that Ipod and it gets run over you have lost not only the player but the associated memory etc...Just something to think about....
Good points. Maybe I will have to look into a MD player. So how exactly does it work? DO you attach the MD player to the computer and transfer MP3's directly to it?

Just saw Greg Allman in concert a couple weeks ago.
He had a really great guitarist with him by the name of Robben Ford. Man could he make that Les Paul sing!

birdman23 said:
Good points. Maybe I will have to look into a MD player. So how exactly does it work? DO you attach the MD player to the computer and transfer MP3's directly to it?
Yes...you rip songs just like mp3's...put cd in computer, attach usb cable from md player to usb port and go for it. You can get a cable to record directly from your portable cd player but the quality isn't as good....On my desk at work, I have too small plastic 4" X 3" cubes that contain 12 discs each that provide me with about 100 hours of music... Not as small as mp3, but not as large as a cd player...A viable alternative to spending those duckies on the IPOD...

zapper said:
Yes...you rip songs just like mp3's...put cd in computer, attach usb cable from md player to usb port and go for it. You can get a cable to record directly from your portable cd player but the quality isn't as good....On my desk at work, I have too small plastic 4" X 3" cubes that contain 12 discs each that provide me with about 100 hours of music... Not as small as mp3, but not as large as a cd player...A viable alternative to spending those duckies on the IPOD...
Cool. I will check it out. What model of MD player do you have? Hey is U2 coming to your neck of the woods? The closest they are coming to me is Denver. :(

birdman23 said:
Cool. I will check it out. What model of MD player do you have? Hey is U2 coming to your neck of the woods? The closest they are coming to me is Denver. :(
Sony MZ-S1 S2 Sports NET MD Walkman Player/Recorder..Like I said..don't get me wrong..I like U2 but much like the band Rush, I liked them much more before they became "commericalized"...Not to mention that Bono needs to know his place...he is a singer not a statesman....

zapper said:
Riding !!! Never heard you mention that one before.

zapper said:
Sony MZ-S1 S2 Sports NET MD Walkman Player/Recorder..Like I said..don't get me wrong..I like U2 but much like the band Rush, I liked them much more before they became "commericalized"...Not to mention that Bono needs to know his place...he is a singer not a statesman....
Thanks for the info on the Sony. There sure are a lot of celebrities out there these days that are trying to push different agendas aren't there!

zapper said:
Would that be classic Rush or after they turned pop?
i think its the intermediate stage...Grace under Pressure...thats my fave.

i like the old stuff like the the trees, tom saywer etc but i like the high tech stuff too.

my MD player is a old one i got in in 1999 its a Panasonic and was bloody expensive in its day (£200) its doesnt have the facility to cram 6 albums onto one disc and it has no internet/usb connection. The sound and build quailty is still stunning and i use it most days in the car. I have always liked Sony as a brand but i rate Panasonic and JVC just as good.

MountainPro said:
i think its the intermediate stage...Grace under Pressure...thats my fave.
Yes very good but my all time favorite is "2112".. I remember my older brother playing that in his car and people riding up as asking..."Who is that?" I've got to get that 8 track......

i

FredC said:
Riding !!! Never heard you mention that one before.
LOL yeah, Riding is what motivated me to come here and learn more about the sport...Not a pro like you and lim but I know I can teach both of you a thing or two about weather, building trends and the liberal media ;)

zapper said:
LOL yeah, Riding is what motivated me to come here and learn more about the sport...Not a pro like you and lim but I know I can teach both of you a thing or two about weather, building trends and the liberal media ;)
Liberal media eh. That Fred Kaplan man of yours keeps e-mailing me to find him a column over here, I'm trying 'The Spectator' for him, should suit his irreverent style. Me being Fred and he being Fred we get along just fine. Honest.
What have you learn't about bike racing that might be useful? I never learn't anything from it apart from the fact that you make friends for life.

FredC said:
Liberal media eh. That Fred Kaplan man of yours keeps e-mailing me to find him a column over here, I'm trying 'The Spectator' for him, should suit his irreverent style. Me being Fred and he being Fred we get along just fine. Honest.
What have you learn't about bike racing that might be useful? I never learn't anything from it apart from the fact that you make friends for life.
Right.....but you aren't Fred so.....

When I first logged on here I didn't even know what size bike I wanted let alone which brand, model or frame material. What type of shoes, cleats, cycle computer etc...Received some very good advice here..Learn something new everyday. Even learn a thing or two from you slobs... ;)

Anyone recall this song:

Everybody’s sayin’ that the Scatman stutters
But doesn’t ever stutter when he sings.
But what you don’t know I’m gonna tell you right now
That the stutter and the scat is the same thing.
Yo I’m the Scatman.

Haven't been able to find Scatman John's music anywhere and even on the net it's pretty scarce.

Good music to ride to, though.